Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:11 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

Originally Posted by Kim67
My head is firmly atop my shoulders and my backside well and truly pointing South. All the advice I gave to the OP was based on personal experience and I stated that it was "my opinion". I've lived for quite a long time in Brisbane and rented for about nine years on the south side and have experience with schools in the area and friends living there. I don't live in Coorparoo because of the "prestige" as you put it, we bought here because it was a pretty good investment choice and also a great lifestyle choice for a family with three small children.
Can you please explain what a Bogan is ??

Obviously there arn't any in Coorparoo !!!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Can you please explain what a Bogan is ??

Obviously there arn't any in Coorparoo !!!
If you honestly don't know what a bogan is, here you go, my daughter's favourite song just for you (sorry for those of you who had to suffer this one on the recent bogan pronunciation thread).

As an Australian girl who grew up in the country towns and the Perth hills of Western Australia in a mining family and went to state school, I'm very familiar with bogans and have many that I know and love. My husband in his early years had a HK Holden and had very large and loud parties. Some teenage bogans as they mature ditch their v8 commodores and live a very quiet life - some remain loud and proud their whole lives. Of course there are some of these in every suburb, but Coorparoo in my opinion has a far lower percentage than suburbs such as Shailer Park and Daisy Hill.

So, tell me what is so wrong with me wanting my kids to live in a quiet neighbourhood with good schools and their ballet studio just around the corner. Does that constitute having my head up my a*se?
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:40 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

If you honestly don't know what a bogan is, here you go, my daughter's favourite song just for you (sorry for those of you who had to suffer this one on the recent bogan pronunciation thread).
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qA8gJoT5yl4

As an Australian girl who grew up in the country towns and the Perth hills of Western Australia in a mining family and went to state school, I'm very familiar with bogans and have many that I know and love. My husband in his early years had a HK Holden and had very large and loud parties. Some teenage bogans as they mature ditch their v8 commodores and live a very quiet life - some remain loud and proud their whole lives. Of course there are some of these in every suburb, but Coorparoo in my opinion has a far lower percentage than suburbs such as Shailer Park and Daisy Hill.

So, tell me what is so wrong with me wanting my kids to live in a quiet neighbourhood with good schools and their ballet studio just around the corner. Does that constitute having my head up my a*se?
Thats funny, we live a quiet neighhbourhood, our son goes to a good school and his cricket / footy club is just around the corner. So you see we're not all "Bogans" Unless of course living anywhere outside 10k from the city makes you a Bogan ????

In your original post you would have people believe that anywhere outside 10k's of the city is a rough area with dodgy people i know you said "in my opinion" but thats the way i red it........
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats funny, we live a quiet neighhbourhood, our son goes to a good school and his cricket / footy club is just around the corner. So you see we're not all "Bogans" Unless of course living anywhere outside 10k from the city makes you a Bogan ????

In your original post you would have people believe that anywhere outside 10k's of the city is a rough area with dodgy people i know you said "in my opinion" but thats the way i red it........
I'm sure you're happy with your suburb choice, doesn't mean that it would be right for me and vise versa. At no point during this thread have I said living more than 10km out of the city defines you as a bogan - I believe I said that far south there is a bogan element. These threads are all about giving advice to people based on our own experiences, not attacking others because their opinion is different to yours.

Back to the OP, I think the best thing to do would be to come and see for yourself. Rent for 12 months or so and really get a good feel for the place and then decide where you want to put down permanent roots.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Some parts of Shailer Park and Daisy Hill are lovely. Leafy green streets with nice, neat housing. However, there are the less good areas in these suburbs. That said - there are very few suburbs which don't have an area which people would rather avoid.

I wouldn't say that the local schools are the best schools.

I think it partly depends on what you are used to, as to whether you will enjoy living in these suburbs.

Try having a look at Carindale - it has a HUGE shopping centre there and it's a bit closer to the city as well.

Good luck. I think it's really hard to make a choice on where to live when you are not living here. I would have some ideas in mind, but not make the final decision until you actually visit the suburbs yourself.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 3:42 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Spenymoon & Hazel T have pretty much nailed it, the other contributors to this thread have obviously got their heads up their A@#es.

Utter crap, believe me if you drive through Cooperoo and Camp Hill there are some very rough areas as there is everywhere.

In and around the Shailer Park / Daisy Hill / Cornubia there are still plenty of beautiful properties for sale at good prices compared to closer to the city, and plenty of wide open spaces, parks, facilities.

We have been here 5 yrs now and are very happy and settled.

Of course everyone's circumstances are different, but believe me no matter were you go you will find the unattractive members of the community, so if you want to spend mega dollars on a smaller property closer to the city just for the so called "prestige" of living in one of these suburbs cool, but in my opinion the burbs you mentioned are great for families, and a laid back lifestyle.

Oh by the way, check out the local schools / colleges etc...you will find they are some of the best in and around the Brisbane area....
I agree with all of that, there are some very nice properties in Daisy Hill in particular ... we went to see a few that backed onto woodland and I would not call it 'run down' or 'bogan'.

The upside of the people that tar an area with lazy generalisations is to make it easier to buy good property at reasonable prices (i.e. not pay a needless premium for a 'good' area).

Hyperdome? Not a shopping fan but it seems like a safe enough place for kids to go based on my 5 years here.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 3:47 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mavine1
EEeek! All the research I have done on Shailer Park seemed mostly positive! Wikipeadia classes it as middle class, mostly professional's.....it's so hard knowing where to start because I don't think even a reccie will be long enough to get a fair assessment of areas :$
I'd favour Daisy Hill over Shailer Park ... Shailer Park always seemed alive with loud parties during our house hunting nighttime reccies and the lack of space means there is no way to escape it.

We chose closer to Tamborine on 3 acres for $310,000 4 years ago now, don't regret it for a minute. Public transport is non-existent though.

Elbow room, can't beat it for my money and something you pay a lot more for in the UK so a good change of pace/lifestyle for us.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:58 am
Just Joined

spenymoon is an unknown quantity at this point

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qA8gJoT5yl4

Yes it does, nothing special about Coorparoo at all, crime rare is far higher than Shailer park. The train station is miles away from most of Coorparoo and the shops are all closing down along old cleaveland road, and if you wish to buy some dodgy clothing you can always head to stones corner and shop with all the Bogans there.
No need to thank me!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spenymoon
Yes it does, nothing special about Coorparoo at all, crime rare is far higher than Shailer park. The train station is miles away from most of Coorparoo and the shops are all closing down along old cleaveland road, and if you wish to buy some dodgy clothing you can always head to stones corner and shop with all the Bogans there.
No need to thank me!!!!
I think I get the gist of this post, bit hard with the "rare" typo which I think should read "there" maybe.....anyway, I didn't actually mention the suburb I lived in until the OP asked where I lived. As stated previously, I've had personal experience living in the outer southern suburbs and have experience living where I now choose to live. My choice is to live close to the city. The train line doesn't bother me, I never catch it, my husband always had his own car park in the city for us to utilise and now we work from home so no need to catch a train (though we do drive in to the city most days to pick up our mail and because I enjoy going into the city). Westfield at Carindale is probably closer to me than Stones Corner and I tend to go there if I need something other than groceries.

I'd like to know where you get your crime statistics and what type of crimes you're saying are worse here.

I really enjoy where I live and I'm sure you do too or you wouldn't live there, there's no right or wrong here, just opinions based on our own experiences, no need for personal insults. Pretentiousness really isn't my thing, so believe me, the reason I live here in not for the benefit of others, it's a genuine desire to be here which I don't have to justify to you guys who for some insane reason keep telling me I have my head up my backside.