Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Southampton To Perth.....

Southampton To Perth.....

Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Southampton To Perth.....

I know many years ago travelling to Oz by boat was `The Norm`, but what about now.
I fancy `cruising` over rather than flying, anyone know if this is still possible and the costs involved?

Thanks

Sandra
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:39 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southampton To Perth.....

Originally posted by sj oldfield
I know many years ago travelling to Oz by boat was `The Norm`, but what about now.
I fancy `cruising` over rather than flying, anyone know if this is still possible and the costs involved?

Thanks

Sandra
Dont think its possible to do on a cruise ship (within a practical cost that is) but I remember seeing an advert in a German magazine offering places on a "transport" ship but cant remember the price. Journey time was about 3 wks (from Hamburg) and the ship wasn't as bad as it sounds. had pool, sauna etc.

Will have a look tonight to see if I still have the magazine and post more details tomorrow
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Dont think its possible to do on a cruise ship (within a practical cost that is) but I remember seeing an advert in a German magazine offering places on a "transport" ship but cant remember the price. Journey time was about 3 wks (from Hamburg) and the ship wasn't as bad as it sounds. had pool, sauna etc.

Will have a look tonight to see if I still have the magazine and post more details tomorrow

Thanks for that Mairi.
The `man` of the house thinks i have wll and truly lost it now, however he didnt quite put it in those pleasant words.
I just want to do something different, the kids want to go via New York, but I am happy to `poodle` along at a leisurely pace.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Okay, perhaps this wasnt one of my better ideas.
The kids have expressed an interest in going via New York.
Anyone give me any advice on this?

Sandra
Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:22 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, perhaps this wasnt one of my better ideas.
The kids have expressed an interest in going via New York.
Anyone give me any advice on this?

Sandra

Send the kids via NY and you go the leisurely way...sounds like a great plan to me!!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:31 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

It took 6 weeks when me and the family did it as ten pound Poms, but that was when the Suez Canal was still open.

Italian ship, with Chinese cabin crew who went on strike as we were coming through the Indian Ocean in a Force 9 gale.....

The captain obviously didn't like the British - he refused to put out the stabilizers because he reckoned that the weather didn't warrant it.....

Bastard!

I will NEVER forget the pools of sick slopping from side to side in the passageways.......

Take some advice - FLY!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Hi Sandra

www.pocruises.com gives the prices of world cruises etc. and you can do a sector to Oz.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom
It took 6 weeks when me and the family did it as ten pound Poms, but that was when the Suez Canal was still open.

Italian ship, with Chinese cabin crew who went on strike as we were coming through the Indian Ocean in a Force 9 gale.....

The captain obviously didn't like the British - he refused to put out the stabilizers because he reckoned that the weather didn't warrant it.....

Bastard!

I will NEVER forget the pools of sick slopping from side to side in the passageways.......

Take some advice - FLY!
The Suez canal is still running. Those ships do look strange gliding through the desert.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:05 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
The Suez canal is still running. Those ships do look strange gliding through the desert.
Ahhh... I hadn't checked for some considerable time - last time I took any interest in the Suez Canal it was closed.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:04 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like I might be a bit late with this info now, but if you did decide to take Artep's suggestion here are a couple of links from the Magazine I mentioned

Have to say from the adverts it appears quite expensive. You could get a cheapish business class flight for the same money, but maybe contacting them will give some special offers.

http://www.freighter-cruises.com/

http://www.contship.com

http://www.oldendorff.com/ftravel/trading_areas.htm
(This company I know are good, they have a shipyard here in Flensburg where they build about 8 ships a year and the yard itself was modernised in about 1990. They even do work for the UK Ministry of Defense)

Also if you email these guys, [email protected] apparently they can arrange a trip UK - Singapore, 5 day stopover in Singapore, then different ship Singapore - OZ. No web address was mentioned. Cost is advertised as about Eur 100 per day plus taxes, but it doesnt say how long the trip would be.

Hope this helps & have fun whatever you decide
Mairi
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your replies.
Guess I was just living in cuckoo land........ the prices would have been okay if it was just the 2 of us, bus as my kids are classed as adults it is just far too much

thanks

Sandra
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:18 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Thanks for all your replies.
Guess I was just living in cuckoo land........ the prices would have been okay if it was just the 2 of us, bus as my kids are classed as adults it is just far too much

thanks

Sandra
You're not living in Cloud cuckoo land Sandra - just "investigating alternative possibilities"

We had actually thought about doing this too (hence the reason the mag was still stashed away), and thought it would be a good way of keeping an eye on our container at the same time
Didnt want a Pollyanna type situation arising.:scared:

Since found out as part of my redundancy package, my company will relocate me back to Australia and two business class flights are included. Woohoo - RESULT!!! Container can now look after itself
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:42 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Since found out as part of my redundancy package, my company will relocate me back to Australia and two business class flights are included. Woohoo - RESULT!!! Container can now look after itself
Wow! Cool!!!!!!!

We are going to TRY and get an upgrade! We'll see...
Luckily I don't mind the flight, I actually love it!

Anyway, my parents also once though about going by ship (on the way back, Perth- Holland)
I think it was also pretty expensive, and took very long, and in the end they didn't cos my dad had to start his new job quickly.
Bu I remember there was talk of the Suez canal and pyramides............ahhhhh!

Oh well...we don't have the money either!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:11 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally posted by Simone82
Wow! Cool!!!!!!!

We are going to TRY and get an upgrade! We'll see...
Luckily I don't mind the flight, I actually love it!

Anyway, my parents also once though about going by ship (on the way back, Perth- Holland)
I think it was also pretty expensive, and took very long, and in the end they didn't cos my dad had to start his new job quickly.
Bu I remember there was talk of the Suez canal and pyramides............ahhhhh!

Oh well...we don't have the money either!

Yeah, we are well chuffed ! Good to start our new life in style. Now battling with them to pay for the Cats airfares as well ! (...if you dont ask you dont get ...... )