Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

south western australia

south western australia

Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

cowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to all
Default south western australia

hi all
we cant make our minds up whether to go for perth suburbs or venture south west to busselton/margaret river area. we went there last year and really liked it and the housing is cheaper.

Anyone any idea what the job and college situation is like further south out of Perth?

I am a nurse, hubby is a mechanical engineer and son is doing GCSE's so will have to decide to stay on at svhool or get a job?

You lot never let me down

Julie
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: south western australia

Originally Posted by cowpeys
hi all
we cant make our minds up whether to go for perth suburbs or venture south west to busselton/margaret river area. we went there last year and really liked it and the housing is cheaper.

Anyone any idea what the job and college situation is like further south out of Perth?

I am a nurse, hubby is a mechanical engineer and son is doing GCSE's so will have to decide to stay on at svhool or get a job?

Julie
Hi Julie, it's where we are looking

http://www.swdc.wa.gov.au/web/Life-Here/

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/Media...U_Tables-F.pdf
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

cowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marvinc

thanks , willl check them out!
Julie
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

We are just outside Bunbury, there is the Regional and private (St Johns) hospitals, plus TAFE for your son's college, or there are plenty of apprenticeships in the various trades if he fancies going out to work but still learning.

HTH
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:09 am
Just Joined

hkenee is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all

Julie
Hi all
We are just north of Bunbury in Leschenault and we love this area, we originally looked to Bussleton but decided it was too busy and Margaret River was too cold. Our daughter is nurse and started at Bunbury Regional the day after her application went in, so plenty of work available there.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

We are in Dunsborough, my wife is a nurse in a local Emergency Dept, she had been an Intensive Care nurse since 1989 but you have to be in Bunbury if that's your thing. Most towns have small hospitals, almost anything that's exciting gets sent to Perth by RFDS.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Santa
We are in Dunsborough, my wife is a nurse in a local Emergency Dept, she had been an Intensive Care nurse since 1989 but you have to be in Bunbury if that's your thing. Most towns have small hospitals, almost anything that's exciting gets sent to Perth by RFDS.

Hi Santa

thanks for getting back to me.
The whole reason for my move is a change of lifestyle and Im not looking for going up the ladder...been there done that. quite looking forward to doing my job and going home knowing that if the sun is out at the start of my shift I can rely on it being there at the end.....how many BBQs have I planned going by the morning weather to leave work in a down pour

Dunsborough's a lovely part of the world . house prices seem pretty steep tho. whats the score with high schools there? Ive got a 16 year old . is there a bus link to besselton high? also hes keen on an apprenticeship. we kinda think he might be better off nearer Bunbury for jobs etc.

We'd live in the middle of the forest somewhere if we could but he has put a skatepark and basketball court at the top of his priorities

Julie
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Is there anywhere to surf off Busselton or do you have to travel to Bunbury/Yallingup?

Thanks Julie
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

I have a friend who moved two years ago to Albany (about 5 hrs south of Perth on the coast) and she LOVES it! Found work easily (council job) and her hubby had no problems picking up part time work in his medical field.

It really is a beautiful town, from what I've heard and seen, and close to all Margaret River region has to offer. It's absolutely booming at the moment, with lots of growth in the local economy and jobs coming into the town due to some ports being built. Good luck with the move
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:32 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anywhere to surf off Busselton or do you have to travel to Bunbury/Yallingup?

Thanks Julie
Just had a trip to Busselton and I "think" surfing isn't too hot there - its advertised as somewhere the water is calm and tranquil and good for kids
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Just had a trip to Busselton and I "think" surfing isn't too hot there - its advertised as somewhere the water is calm and tranquil and good for kids
Yep, agree with that, Busselton is too calm for surfing.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Hi Santa

thanks for getting back to me.
The whole reason for my move is a change of lifestyle and Im not looking for going up the ladder...been there done that. quite looking forward to doing my job and going home knowing that if the sun is out at the start of my shift I can rely on it being there at the end.....how many BBQs have I planned going by the morning weather to leave work in a down pour

Dunsborough's a lovely part of the world . house prices seem pretty steep tho. whats the score with high schools there? Ive got a 16 year old . is there a bus link to besselton high? also hes keen on an apprenticeship. we kinda think he might be better off nearer Bunbury for jobs etc.

We'd live in the middle of the forest somewhere if we could but he has put a skatepark and basketball court at the top of his priorities

Julie
Hi,
Your right, Dunsborough is very expensive, but it's also very pleasant. There is a bus service to Busselton for the children as there is no senior education here. My daughter travels by bus, it takes about 50 minutes each way, having said that she is one of the last to be dropped off. There are four senior schools in Busselton, Busselton Senior, Georgiana Malloy, McKillop College and Cornerstone. The last 3 are fee paying.
Busselton maybe a better option, it covers a large area. Along with many towns you'll find areas not as flash as others, cheap housing is usually cheap for a reason !
Busselton is only about 30 minutes from Bunbury which is a large town, I'm sure your son could find something challenging in either of these towns.

Surfing does not exist in or around the beaches of Busselton. This part of the coast is known as Geograph Bay, it stetches from Bunbury around to Eagle Bay which is a huge stretch of coast, maybe 80 km. Busselton and Dunsborough are on the whole protected from the large Seas by Cape Naturaliste (where the lighthouse is)
The surfing area starts pretty much with Three Bears which is just south of Cape Naturalste, down past Yallingup and all the way south from there till you yet to the Souther Ocean. Australia's biggest wave was ridden down this coast last year, it was 15 metres !!!

Good luck
Mark
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

thanks Mark

you satrt being really excited just going and now its getiing closer the list of must have gets longer...must be near beach,near surfing,near skate park,must be able to walk to restaurants etc and thats just the after work detail

currently looking at dalyellup which seems nice

Julie
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at www.southwestlife.com.au.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 2:31 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Mark

you satrt being really excited just going and now its getiing closer the list of must have gets longer...must be near beach,near surfing,near skate park,must be able to walk to restaurants etc and thats just the after work detail

currently looking at dalyellup which seems nice

Julie
It is lovely in Dalyellup, want to buy my house?
PM me and I will send you the link

Kevin

Last edited by kevinl; Apr 6th 2007 at 2:34 pm.