Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South West Suburbs, Sydney

South West Suburbs, Sydney

Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:51 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default South West Suburbs, Sydney

Having just about given up on finding a decent place in Sutherlandshire at a realistic price, we are starting to look further out. We know about Macquarrie Fields and its problems, but we were looking more at Prestons, Horningsea Park and Mt Annan, the houses are more like what we had in mind (newer / modern) at a reasonable price, ie $500-650K.
So does anybody live down there (Tass?) and can give a real view of the place, we don't have kids so schools are not a factor. We will both have to commute to Kogarah / Mascot so the M5 is a factor, we eat out a fair bit so restaraunts and shopping is high on the list and general leisure access. We have already been to the Camden Valley Inn, which was quite nice. I guess we will have to go down and have a look at Liverpool and Campbelltown to get a feel for the place.
The only other place we have been to like this is Kellyville and the Hills, which were OK and so far nearest to what we had in mind, but a bad commute to the South.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South West Suburbs, Sydney

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Having just about given up on finding a decent place in Sutherlandshire at a realistic price, we are starting to look further out. We know about Macquarrie Fields and its problems, but we were looking more at Prestons, Horningsea Park and Mt Annan, the houses are more like what we had in mind (newer / modern) at a reasonable price, ie $500-650K.
So does anybody live down there (Tass?) and can give a real view of the place, we don't have kids so schools are not a factor. We will both have to commute to Kogarah / Mascot so the M5 is a factor, we eat out a fair bit so restaraunts and shopping is high on the list and general leisure access. We have already been to the Camden Valley Inn, which was quite nice. I guess we will have to go down and have a look at Liverpool and Campbelltown to get a feel for the place.
The only other place we have been to like this is Kellyville and the Hills, which were OK and so far nearest to what we had in mind, but a bad commute to the South.
try sending Tass a PM she will know more about the west.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: South West Suburbs, Sydney

Hi Guys !
Sorry don't have a lot of time to reply to this one tonight BUT what I can say , for that price , you will have your pick of REALLY BIG HOUSES !!
There is massive development planned along the Camden Valley Way and already there are loads of new suburbs with decent sized plots with shopping malls (of the local area size ) and all the obvious recreation areas etc. The train line from Campbelltown passess directly thru' Mascot and straight into the city. I have travelled at commuting times and the trains can be busy and do run late sometimes but I wouldn't say it's any worse than the UK.In fact , I think on the whole it's better.With regard to the developments along the CVW, they are extending the train line out to cover Horingsea Park and all along that way , so communications are being put in place.My husband works in Liverpool and says he would not live in the city itself but the suburbs are nice.Our biggest and local shopping mall is Mcarthur Square. (It has it's own website).It is currently being extended and will include a new ice rink , new cinema and more pub like pubs (I believe). They already have 2 cinemas in Campbelltown.Eating out ....well there are loads of places to go , especially if you don't have kids ! Our favourite is the Camden Valley Inn , because of the traditional pub feel.
I'll have a wee look around for you and post back a better reply once I've gathered some more info for you. Is there any-one-thing/area you want me to look at ?
You probably best to come down and have a look BUT don't come down the CVW on Sunday because it's the V8 RACECARS at Oran Park and the traffic will be heavy !!! (OH, Yes , did I mention V8 racecars in the "boring" SW ? ) BUT if you do come down this weekend -on the motorway- check out the Appin crafty fair thing, it's quite quaint. It's an outdoor market , in Appin, but it's all under the trees at the local "park" and of course you have to have a world famous Appin pie while you're there !
So much to share with you , please feel free to ask,
Good luck and all the best,
Tass.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:03 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tass
Hi Guys !
Sorry don't have a lot of time to reply to this one tonight BUT what I can say , for that price , you will have your pick of REALLY BIG HOUSES !!
There is massive development planned along the Camden Valley Way and already there are loads of new suburbs with decent sized plots with shopping malls (of the local area size ) and all the obvious recreation areas etc. The train line from Campbelltown passess directly thru' Mascot and straight into the city. I have travelled at commuting times and the trains can be busy and do run late sometimes but I wouldn't say it's any worse than the UK.In fact , I think on the whole it's better.With regard to the developments along the CVW, they are extending the train line out to cover Horingsea Park and all along that way , so communications are being put in place.My husband works in Liverpool and says he would not live in the city itself but the suburbs are nice.Our biggest and local shopping mall is Mcarthur Square. (It has it's own website).It is currently being extended and will include a new ice rink , new cinema and more pub like pubs (I believe). They already have 2 cinemas in Campbelltown.Eating out ....well there are loads of places to go , especially if you don't have kids ! Our favourite is the Camden Valley Inn , because of the traditional pub feel.
I'll have a wee look around for you and post back a better reply once I've gathered some more info for you. Is there any-one-thing/area you want me to look at ?
You probably best to come down and have a look BUT don't come down the CVW on Sunday because it's the V8 RACECARS at Oran Park and the traffic will be heavy !!! (OH, Yes , did I mention V8 racecars in the "boring" SW ? ) BUT if you do come down this weekend -on the motorway- check out the Appin crafty fair thing, it's quite quaint. It's an outdoor market , in Appin, but it's all under the trees at the local "park" and of course you have to have a world famous Appin pie while you're there !
So much to share with you , please feel free to ask,
Good luck and all the best,
Tass.
u just saved them a PM lol
great post Tass
ps i loved Appin
Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:18 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tass, sounds OK, we will have try and come and have a look around. I guess overall it is McQ Fields effect that puts us off in a way, but I guess that is restricted to the one area.
Overall I guess we are looking for a new modern estate, nicely presented / landscaped, local shops and not far from a major shopping centre. So any particular recommendations on those lines would be great so we can go and have a look round.
Any idea how long it would take to drive in to the airport as that is where I work?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:26 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Thanks Tass, sounds OK, we will have try and come and have a look around. I guess overall it is McQ Fields effect that puts us off in a way, but I guess that is restricted to the one area.
Overall I guess we are looking for a new modern estate, nicely presented / landscaped, local shops and not far from a major shopping centre. So any particular recommendations on those lines would be great so we can go and have a look round.
Any idea how long it would take to drive in to the airport as that is where I work?
im guessing on an hours drive, but Tass will give u a better time cos she lives there. ive been south and west on visits. the ideal areas u described are there if u want them. if your working at the airport ( i take it u mean kingsford smith) then u might want to look around the sylvania area, nice place to live. one of my faves is Taren Point about 25 mins drive to work from KS airport.
good luck to ya.

soapy
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:59 am
A modern day warrior

Soapy, Yes I know Sylvania, we are currently renting there. As I said in the first post the property down here is over priced for what you get. Think old fibro on approx 550sqm for approx $550K. Even the houses that are of a decent size and condition are holding out for property boom prices, even if you present the vendor / agent with a list of latest sales as proof they are over priced they will not negotiate. Put on offer in on a house that was about $70,000 over the market and they were not interested, and ours was the only offer they got in 3 months and everyone was telling them it was over priced. It has now been taken off the market so as not to over expose it!!! So that is why we have just about given up on the Shire and starting to look elsewhere after 4 months of looking.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Soapy, Yes I know Sylvania, we are currently renting there. As I said in the first post the property down here is over priced for what you get. Think old fibro on approx 550sqm for approx $550K. Even the houses that are of a decent size and condition are holding out for property boom prices, even if you present the vendor / agent with a list of latest sales as proof they are over priced they will not negotiate. Put on offer in on a house that was about $70,000 over the market and they were not interested, and ours was the only offer they got in 3 months and everyone was telling them it was over priced. It has now been taken off the market so as not to over expose it!!! So that is why we have just about given up on the Shire and starting to look elsewhere after 4 months of looking.
They will come down in price. All I can suggest with the m5 is to drive the other way at rush hour. The tunnel under Bexley causes an almighty traffic jam. You maybe able to claim back the toll (not the GST though) from the RTA if you get one of those e-tags.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: South West Suburbs, Sydney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok , estates or suburbs around here with close or good acess to the M5 are BLAIR ATHOL, MOUNT ANNAN, MACARTHUR GARDENS , all these are new housing estates around Campbelltown. They are close to Macarthur Square , the public hospital,new private hospital which is being built just now , the railway line and the new arts center .Slightly futher out is HARRINGTON PARK with its own shopping mall, just a local one but has a fair number of shops in it , including a supermarket.Futher out again , nearer Camden is CAMDEN GROVE ESTATE and BRIDGEWATER.Although Macquarie fields has got itself a bad name there is a big new posh estate called MACQUARIE LINKS.It again has good acess to the motorway but also included in the price is security and a golf course. It has it's own private gated security and a golf course which has exclusive membership. (You can only join if you have a house in Macquarie Links)
All the ones I have mentioned are all new /newish estates. There are loads of other good suburbs around with slightly more established housing around.
Travelling. Well , out of rush hour it takes me 25mins to drive to Kingsford Smith , adhering to the speed limit.I have friends who also work at the airport but do shift work so I can't compare commuting times , sorry ! However, I have asked a few friends who have to commute to the city for 9am meetings and they have said they make sure they have at least an hour to get there. Remember that's to the city.You do have the $3.30 toll each way but as mentioned before you can buy an e-tag and claim back.You can do that with the cash booths as well ,just make sure you ask for a reciept.
Out and about. In Campbelltown you have Fitness First Gym, Macarthur square, Campbelltown Mall, a brand new state of the art "arts center", Koshigya Park .Up and along the road , Mount Annan Botanic gardens which is the biggest one in NSW . Loads of places to eat , but unlike Sutherland Shire , there is not an abundance of street cafes and bistros, for casual late evening drinks.
I believe there are nightclubs but I haven't gone to any yet. Socially , it's all BBQ's or at clubs or at the winery for a traditional Bush dance.My husband frequently goes into the city for a night out , to watch the UK football etc and if we want to spend a day or night in the city we just jump on the train. Advantage is we can drink ! Train takes approx 40 mins and passess thru' both airport terminals and mascot , central and all inner city stops including circular Quay.Driving into the city is approx 45mins-1hour tops.
Round about. Nearest Beaches and the ones we used last summer are AUSTINMER, COLEDALE , THIRROUL.These are 30 mins away BUT we also have a mere 2 hours to JERVIS BAY.Along that road you will pass thro KIAMA , SEVEN MILE BEACH AND SHOALHAVEN to name but a few.You can drive up thru' KANGAROO VALLEY from there and pass by FITZROY FALLS and several dams and country parks.
CANBERRA is 2 hours away.
KATOOMBA & ECHO POINT -1 hour.
BRISBANE -12 hours , but that is a L-O-N-G run , best done overnight when the kids are sleeping !
This is a big area - Macarthur- and has a whole load of families and old folk BUT the new growth trend is from 1st time home buyers and young , or maybe not young ,professional couples , looking for their own slice of Australia.
Perhaps you should take a short term rental down here and try it out for yourself. If you don't like it , then nothing lost .
I hope this has been of some use to you.Please ask if you need anymore info because I can garuntee I have missed loads out !
All the best to you.
Tass.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Am trying to put the links in for you but no good at this so,
for information on:
CAMDEN GROVE ESTATE & THE ATRIUM -Richardson&Wrench real estate or BAMBURGH PROPERTIES.
MOUNT ANNAN- www.gardengates.com.au
HARRINGTON PARK-Sales & info center @ 1 Fairwater Drive, HP. Tel 4647 3200.
MACARTHUR GARDENS -Sales & info center@ Gilchrest Drive, Campbelltown.Tel 4627 4800
Plus all your real estate folk like domain and just listed.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:30 am
A modern day warrior

Tass, thanks for the mass of info, (sorry about the late reply, big computer probs...thanks Dell!!)
Managed a quick drive down on Friday and did it in approx 35mins. We will have to spend a bit more time down there to have a better look round though as it was only a flying visit. Certainly has the kind of houses we are looking for.
TS