Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South west Melbourne suburbs

South west Melbourne suburbs

Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of
Default South west Melbourne suburbs

Could anyone let me know what they think of the south west suburbs of melbourne, namely Points cook, Altona meadows, hoppers crossing, werribee, seabrook.

I've heard the west part of melbourne isnt that great, but the houses there are affordable on our budget 250-300k, and they dont seem to be too far from the CBD, nor beach.

Cheers
Gee
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:40 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: South west Melbourne suburbs

We live in the s/e suburbs so can't tell you too much but if you go onto BritVics and ask the question there are a few people on there who live in the areas you are asking about. http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics. Good luck

Lorraine
Old Sep 27th 2006, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi

There is a lot of new build stuff out in the south west. from the perspective of distance from the CBD vs. cost it is fairly reasonable value for money. A lot, like Point Cook is new build with the quality that comes with it. When I was looking to buy and looked around there I formed the view that it needed about 10 years for the trees to grow a bit more and for the communities to congeal a bit more. It can feel a bit souless purely on the grounds that it is so new. Do take the time to look at a Melway map as some of the SW residences are near sewerage plants, chemical works, oil refineries, the Avalon Airport flightpath and wasteland etc...

Remember that if you are to be a car CBD commuter you will be driving into the sun both ways.

Reading this back I probably makes the SW seem very glib. SW is okay. It is not hell by any means, and often looks nice in a new build kind of way (and let's face it we are in the New World so looking Ye Olde Englande is rather pathetic - being new is more appropriate).

Neil
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

murdy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gsidhu
Could anyone let me know what they think of the south west suburbs of melbourne, namely Points cook, Altona meadows, hoppers crossing, werribee, seabrook.

I've heard the west part of melbourne isnt that great, but the houses there are affordable on our budget 250-300k, and they dont seem to be too far from the CBD, nor beach.

Cheers
Gee
hello there this is my first post on here as we have just moved to Altona 4 weeks ago from the u.k
We have really enjoyed beinghere so far and our kids start school next week in altona and are looking forward to it.

we have just purchased a house in altona meadows which is beautiful and the whole region is a great place for kids.we are 25 minutes on the train from the centre of the city and have driven in about 5 times and has taken no more than 20 minutes.we have friends who live in the east and have visited there and that oly took 25 minutes so no where is far.
for the money you have i personallt don't think you can go wrong and the people are lovely.
all the best
murdy
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by murdy
we are 25 minutes on the train from the centre of the city and have driven in about 5 times and has taken no more than 20 minutes.we have friends who live in the east and have visited there and that oly took 25 minutes so no where is far.
Try doing the same journey in rush hour I dare you
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Try doing the same journey in rush hour I dare you
when you travel on the train it still takes 25 minutes whether you are going at 7am,8am,9am or whatever.

have driven to flinders street at 7.30 2 mornings and have made it by 8.15,so not bad when used to travelling into london everyday!!!!!!!!life is so much easier here there is no such thing as a real trafficjam,thats the m4,m25
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

when you travel on the train it still takes 25 minutes whether you are going at 7am,8am,9am or whatever.

have driven to flinders street at 7.30 2 mornings and have made it by 8.15,so not bad when used to travelling into london everyday!!!!!!!!life is so much easier here there is no such thing as a real trafficjam,thats the m4,m25
I wasn't talking about the train I was talking about driving across the Westgate bridge that it can take 40mins + to cross between 8-9 in the mornings
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I wasn't talking about the train I was talking about driving across the Westgate bridge that it can take 40mins + to cross between 8-9 in the mornings
but thats not every morning and its hardly the same congestion as getting around in the u.k is it,i just feel its a shame to always put dampners on things when the the odd traffic jam is worth all the other benefits of moving here,so wantedto give a better view as ifeel the place is great,and compared to what we left behind its heaven traffic
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

but thats not every morning and its hardly the same congestion as getting around in the u.k is it,i just feel its a shame to always put dampners on things when the the odd traffic jam is worth all the other benefits of moving here,so wantedto give a better view as ifeel the place is great,and compared to what we left behind its heaven traffic
It is worse than what I'm used to in the UK and by the time you have been here as long as I have you will get just as annoyed at the traffic jams here as in the UK
Old Sep 27th 2006, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Teliko21]It is worse than what I'm used to in the UK and by the time you have been here as long as I have you will get just as annoyed at the traffic jams here as in the UK

Where i lived in the u.k it cuould take me 30 minutes to get a mile down the road if there had been an accident or bad weather which was often especially in winter so am enjoying the freedom of driving at the moment.and being a block from the beach and 2 blocks from the school and shops i can't think it can get that bad compared to before,its all about what we are used to really isn't it.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I think im edging towards altona meadows and Hoppers crossing, some of the new houses i saw on realstate are good value for money, but will first need to make sure the houses arent parked next to a chemical/sewage building. Not planning to drive into the CBD as driving into cities is a pain in most big cities around the world.

Murdy it would be good to hear more about your experiences in altona, so keep in touch

thanks
Gee
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we live on the borders of Newport/Altona North and it is a convenient little spot.
House prices are good, transport links (driving) are excellent, and trains not bad (Newport, Seaholme, Westona, Williamstown) at about 20 mins into the city.

I quite like Altona, as it has shops, near the beach, has a train line and houses are reasonable price.
Downside is that there is a lot of industry.

Point Cook is a developing suburb and so relies on car alone- joining the traffic into the city is a nightmare!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to what has already been said. If considering Point Cook have a look at Sanctuary Lakes also. It is a different type of thing, a resort style estate built around golf course, recreation club and as the name suggests, lakes. Equivalent houses on the other side of the bay would be double what they are in PC/SL's. I'm from Williamstown originally, so would give it a plug but being closer in and right on the bay the prices are inevitably much higher than the other areas mentioned.

Check out this:

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/williamstown/photos/

And this (Werribee is next to Hoppers Crossing):

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/werribee/photos/

This BritVics thread I posted some photos in:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...showtopic=1859

And this BE's thread I posted some photos in (P3 and P4):

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9&page=3&pp=15

Every person will have different requirements and different views but one thing which can't be disputed is that you get more for your 'buck' in the SW. You don't have to go as far out as in SE. That is for a reason of course. It's amazing though how many of Melburnians who have never crossed the Westgate Bridge know about the SW!!

OzTennis
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

what fantastic photos,we have been to all these places as williamstown is only a 5-10 minute drives from us and the place is beautirul.We have also cycled there from Altona along the cycle paths on the esplanade and even with 2 kids we did it in under an hour with the odd stop for a drink and Other things always have to do when as soon as you go out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As i have said previously for value for money and buying a house outright you cannot go rong with the west.Previously we lived in St kilda for a year when the boys were younger (we came for a year on a reccie) and although it was beautiful etc,we would have had to take out a mortgage again,which we didn't want and we have visited alot of areas n the east and would have had to go a long way from cbd and didn't want to be that far and have to travel so far for work.still took as long to get to work from st kilda as does from Altona as the trams took as long as trains.
Places aren't for all but as said before we are by the beach,schools,shops,cbd,cycle paths,ocean road etc etc so not too bad really is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i don't know what area in u.k you are all from but we came from Reading and enough said!!!!!
Good Luck
Murdy
Old Sep 29th 2006, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Crumpers will become famous soon enoughCrumpers will become famous soon enough

Hi to all, this thread has prompted my to write my first post.
We to live in Altona Meadows, been here 3 months now and can only reinforce everything stated by Murdy. The cycle paths are great, husband uses them to cycle to work in the city every day. Easy travel on trains, beach close by, great places to visit, Williamstown etc etc...
We're currently staying with family, but will definitely look to stay in this area once our house sale is complete in the UK and I find a job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.