Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South Straddie in August - Couran Cove

South Straddie in August - Couran Cove

Old May 13th 2005, 9:46 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Default South Straddie in August - Couran Cove

Booked to go for a week in August with friends who arrive from the UK. However all the aussies keep telling me is how cold it is in August with the westerlie winds (!!!) and it will be freezing. Is it that cold ? Do I cancel it ? Have only paid the deposit, don't want to waste time and money huddled up under the DOONAS on Straddie when we could be doing something else. any advice regarding this time of year would be great, I remember we arrived in September and it seemed really hot but maybe August is different ? Thanks.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Straddie in August - Couran Cove

Originally Posted by leanda
Booked to go for a week in August with friends who arrive from the UK. However all the aussies keep telling me is how cold it is in August with the westerlie winds (!!!) and it will be freezing. Is it that cold ? Do I cancel it ? Have only paid the deposit, don't want to waste time and money huddled up under the DOONAS on Straddie when we could be doing something else. any advice regarding this time of year would be great, I remember we arrived in September and it seemed really hot but maybe August is different ? Thanks.
hi Leanda,

Yes, unfortunately August is prone to westerly winds, mainly in the first half of the month. I doubt that you will have to be huddled under doonas , but I wouldnt expect to be swimming . You may get a few cold days (around 18 degrees as opposed to the usual 21 we get during winter) & it will be quite cold at night (expect under 10 degrees). But on the plus side, its likely that it will be rain-free as its usually quite a dry month.

Your visitors from the UK will think its just like summer in the UK, except there will be less rain
Old May 16th 2005, 9:17 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Default Re: South Straddie in August - Couran Cove

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
hi Leanda,

Yes, unfortunately August is prone to westerly winds, mainly in the first half of the month. I doubt that you will have to be huddled under doonas , but I wouldnt expect to be swimming . You may get a few cold days (around 18 degrees as opposed to the usual 21 we get during winter) & it will be quite cold at night (expect under 10 degrees). But on the plus side, its likely that it will be rain-free as its usually quite a dry month.

Your visitors from the UK will think its just like summer in the UK, except there will be less rain

Thanks for that we have decided to go ahead with it, there is lots of sporty things to do on the resort (yuk!) so being the host we will have to suggest some of those rather than sitting by the pool.