Reload this Page >

south to north & nz to oz

south to north & nz to oz

Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Billsrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Question south to north & nz to oz

Hello All
Just recently joined and getting some usefull information, but there are a couple of things that im curious about so any replys would be apprieciated.
It would seem there are a lot of people leave the south island to head North why is that? is it that theres just more going on.
Also why do a lot leave NZ to go to OZ?
Since the change in immigration it has bought our plans 6 months forward so now expecting to be in NZ by Dec or new year all being well.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:21 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: south to north & nz to oz

Originally posted by Billsrod
Hello All
Just recently joined and getting some usefull information, but there are a couple of things that im curious about so any replys would be apprieciated.
It would seem there are a lot of people leave the south island to head North why is that? is it that theres just more going on.
Since the change in immigration it has bought our plans 6 months forward so now expecting to be in NZ by Dec or new year all being well.
Alot of Kiwis go to oz for work as the job market is better there...

As for south island to north...i don't know nz, but i would suspect its for the same reason.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it just depends what you're looking for. It also seems that most kiwis end up going back to start a family, and again I expect many leave the nth & head sth!

Where are you heading to? We should be going around the same time, fingers crossed an' all that!

Gra...
Old Jul 13th 2003, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

chris@insurance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Billsrod
Hello All
I can only offer info based on my experiences and the people I've met here on the South Island of New Zealand thus far:

*Many people do move from the SI to the NI....I think it's primarily to Auckland(nearly 1/3 of all New Zealanders live in the greater Auckland area) with some going to Wellington for job opportunities they feel may not exist on the South Island.

*However, one of the fastest growing places in New Zealand is Nelson(at the top of the South Island). It seems to be catching on in a big way as a lifestyle destination and a retirement location for both Kiwis and Expats, although it is probably one of the pricier real estate markets outside of Auckland.

*It would appear many of those who DO move within New Zealand or to Osz are moving from the many VERY small towns and communities located throughout the South Island.....if I were a teenager or in my 20's I'd probably think of nothing but moving away(unlike now in my 30's seeing the appear of such a lifestyle) from such a small-town rural life since much of the variety and convenience of options one sees on Sky every day can be lacking.

*I have met a number of Kiwis who have moved to Oz...mostly to the Gold Coast(reminds me of parts of Florida). Some that I have met have really taken to it and enjoy the warmer weather in winter.....and I also know of several others returning home to NZ with changed expectations. I've also met many New Zealanders who've lived and worked overseas....saved their pennies, and returned home to start a family back in NZ.

*What I find really appealing about the South Island is that in Dunedin or Christchurch you have the options and variety of a city and the easy accessibility to a fantastic "backyard". And if that's not enough......quick and cheap holidays to Auckland,Sydney, Brisbane, and the Gold Coast can satisfy the hunger for a "big city" experience.

Just my 2 cents....
Old Jul 14th 2003, 11:17 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I think Chris has got it pretty right.

I grew up in one of those small South Island towns, and there is no way I could have stayed there throughout my late teenage and twenties.

Like me, most people with any 'up and go' leave for the bright lights, either Dunedin, ChCh or North Island, or eventually overseas as I have done. I think this drift is mainly driven by the younger generation, and also originally was due to lack of opportunities in the rural communities. Interestingly, the farming economy has been doing well, and some rural areas have repopulated a bit recently.

Long term - I think that generally the more isolated parts of the South Island will continue to lose some of their population, but ChCh, Dunedin, Nelson and Central Otago will be stable (or in the case of the last 2 will grow significantly). This is a shame, as some of the most special places are those off the main tourist routes, such as Southland, the Maniototo, West Coast, Catlins, etc.

Me - I'm returning to Dunedin, and hoping to spend many long weekends out in the countryside.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Billsrod is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, pretty much what i had expected, but still great information all the same.
Gra, we are planning to head for the Christchurch area although my wife would like to go further north, it really all depends on a job offer i guess, i suppose i'm furtunate that my skills (vehicle technician) could land me pretty much anywhere in NZ.
Choosing an area aint that easy just keeping our options open and taking in all the info .