Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South or north coast of NSW?

South or north coast of NSW?

Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future
Question South or north coast of NSW?

Hi,

We've got just over a week in the Sydney area to get an idea of the region (yeah, I know - not long enough!).

We are not city people so the question is : do we look at the North Coast (just north of Newcastle) or the South Coast (Shoalhaven/Ulladulla)?

Is one better than the other for schools etc.? Is the landscape different? Climate different, even? Would really appreciate some help here!
Old Jan 16th 2004, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

philiprog is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not the central coast between Sydney and Newcastle?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future

Originally posted by philiprog
Why not the central coast between Sydney and Newcastle?

No particular reason ... really ... no offence intended ... it is just that I thought this area was rather suburban and built up.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Servant24kids
No particular reason ... really ... no offence intended ... it is just that I thought this area was rather suburban and built up.
Hi there,

I'm an aussie who spent all my holidays with my grandparents who live in the Ulladulla area and my parents live on the Central Coast so I thought I might be able to help...

IMHO Shoalhaven/Ulladulla is a fairly quiet area with not a lot of built up areas. Depends on how further south of Wollongong you go really. A lot of people who move there want a quieter and slower pace of life, many young families and older/retirees. If you want shopping centres/malls you'll have to go to Wollongong or some people go to Canberra (about 3 hrs inland). I've been looking down there at houses to guage the average price and it is largely the same as the Central Coast, just less houses.

The Central Coast is very built up these days - as you said suburban. The train links to Sydney are good but the F3 which is the motorway can be an absolutely nightmare, especially if there is an accident when it can take hours to get home. If you avoid Gosford, the "centre", which is just dire then there are lots of lovely suburbs and the beaches are beautiful. Prices have risen dramatically there, apparently about 20% a year for the last 5 years or so. It has a very similar atmosphere to the South Coast, laid back, easygoing.

Its a hard decision, I kno as its the decision we're trying to make at the moment too. Depends on whether you want to be in total suburbia or not.

Let me know if I can tell you anything else.

Hope this helps.

MrsTurbo