Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South East Melbourne

South East Melbourne

Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice
Default South East Melbourne

Hi All,

My family and I (me 37, hubby 37, 3 daughters 8,9 and 11, and our dog) will be moving to Berwick, Melbourne in November. I know that a few of you on this site live in that area and I just wanted to ask you what you thought of the area. I will be coming over in August for 2 weeks to check out schools for the girls and also housing. I know that there is lots of new building going on in the south of Berwick, we think we may want to live in north Berwick as it seems more established and a little more leafy, is that correct?Have been doing masses of research on the internet but would love to hear from people that live in the area.
Anything you can tell us would be great.

Tracy
Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:43 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: South East Melbourne

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
Hi All,

My family and I (me 37, hubby 37, 3 daughters 8,9 and 11, and our dog) will be moving to Berwick, Melbourne in November. I know that a few of you on this site live in that area and I just wanted to ask you what you thought of the area. I will be coming over in August for 2 weeks to check out schools for the girls and also housing. I know that there is lots of new building going on in the south of Berwick, we think we may want to live in north Berwick as it seems more established and a little more leafy, is that correct?Have been doing masses of research on the internet but would love to hear from people that live in the area.

Tracy

Hi Tracy, we live about 20 mins from Berwick. It has grown so much in recent years from the little village it once was.
The centre still has that village appeal with a few cafes, the post office & of course Hevs Beautician shop if you need some work done.
You are next to the freeway which takes you into the city although it can get very busy in rush hours.
Also your only 15 to 30 mins from the countryside & the beautiful dandenongs.
A new hospital has just been opened in Berwick & you also have the Fountaingate shopping centre which seems to get bigger everytime I see it.
I can't comment on schools although Ive not heard any complaints but all in all I'd say it was an excellant place to live.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:35 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Tracy
Hi Tracy we live 5 minutes outside of Berwick. For us as a family of 4 it is ideal (Kids 8 and 10). Berwick high street has a nice friendly sidewalk cafe atmosphere. There are plentry of restaurants and take aways. Fountain Gate while a little tired has plenty of facilities and shops.

Your nearest beach is 15-20 mins away (Carrum) though generally we go to Mornington Penisula or Phillip Island. Nearest snow is about 1 1/2 hours away at Baw Baw. The Dandenong Ranges are about 20 minutes from Berwick.

Casey Arc is the nearest swimming pool.

Other areas worth looking at are Beaconsfield, Harkaway, Upper Beaconsfield. All these are around Berwick. My preferred areas of Berwick are Olde Berwick, and I think its called Village horizons area.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:45 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Hi Tracy we live 5 minutes outside of Berwick. For us as a family of 4 it is ideal (Kids 8 and 10). Berwick high street has a nice friendly sidewalk cafe atmosphere. There are plentry of restaurants and take aways. Fountain Gate while a little tired has plenty of facilities and shops.

Your nearest beach is 15-20 mins away (Carrum) though generally we go to Mornington Penisula or Phillip Island. Nearest snow is about 1 1/2 hours away at Baw Baw. The Dandenong Ranges are about 20 minutes from Berwick.

Other areas worth looking at are Beaconsfield, Harkaway, Upper Beaconsfield. All these are around Berwick. My preferred areas of Berwick are Olde Berwick, and I think its called Village horizons area.

Sounds wonderful it'll now go on my shortlist. Having looked at it on a map would you have to drive quite fast to get to carrum in 15-20 minutes
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:17 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Sounds wonderful it'll now go on my shortlist. Having looked at it on a map would you have to drive quite fast to get to carrum in 15-20 minutes
Depends on the lights but its doable
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:23 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Depends on the lights but its doable
How many points have you gained
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:32 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fraser
How many points have you gained
Hup Schumacher we call him over here.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Originally Posted by HUP

Hi Hup,

Thanks for your reply. Which schools do your children go to? I will be visiting Berwick Primary and Beaconsfield Primary when I come over in August. I will also be visiting Berwick Secondary as our eldest daughter will be in her last year of primary and I want to look at the next step for her. Do you have any knowledge of these schools at all?

Tracy
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:57 am
Badge

More on another bit of land - to be honest - limited due to work for many - mentioned here as we were there today.

There are a few rural areas to the East of Berwick and East of Upper Beacy but you limit commuting towards the city then if you work closer in. However there are stacks of nurseries and agricultural sector serving shops and businesses all along the Princes Highway towards Packenham. Packenham is now a funny mixed bag; a growing urban sprawl centered around the last train station on the city line, agricultural shops and industrial estates. East of Packenham is the start of the 'country' proper and apart from a few centres you get to the ski resort access villages ...

North of Packenham, we found a vineyard today in the Toomuc Valley, 15 mins from where we live and bloody beautiful set against blue skies.

The northside of the highway is great. This should be your mantra.

badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 13th 2005 at 9:10 am.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:14 am
Badge

Hi Hup,

Thanks for your reply. Which schools do your children go to? I will be visiting Berwick Primary and Beaconsfield Primary when I come over in August. I will also be visiting Berwick Secondary as our eldest daughter will be in her last year of primary and I want to look at the next step for her. Do you have any knowledge of these schools at all?

Tracy
Secondary schools - HUP would also be casting his eyes over these. Many of the families we know fork out for private and send their kids to BeaconsHills in Pakenham or Berwick -there are several campuses AUS6,000 a year including many extras like the uniform and books and others. 'Cheap', really (!) This is not necessarily a reflection of the state schools - I am sure Berwick schools are quite adequate. You take your money and pays your choice.

Badge