Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South East or London meet?

South East or London meet?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:52 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South East or London meet?

hey Netta sent you some K for all your hard work, you too sue.
are we looking at The Feathers then?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
hey Netta sent you some K for all your hard work, you too sue.
are we looking at The Feathers then?

Looking that way cheers for the K will send you some

Sue
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:38 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Ok – me and Sue2 have been scouring the world wide web till very very late! So we need approval for the next venue and then masses of Karma if we’re all agreed (By the way - Sue's already got a lot more Karma than me - just thought I'd mention that first....).

So how about this one then……..

"The Plume Of Feathers is the oldest public house in Greenwich being built in 1691. There is a warm and friendly atmosphere, the bar is lit by candlelight as is the restaurant. We have a pretty walled garden and a safe and entertaining room for the children. We have a beautiful room overlooking Greenwich Park which is a popular venue for wedding breakfasts etc. The plume is adjacent to the British maritime museum".

links for The Plume of feathers – Greenwich :

http://www.fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/pub1235.htm

There are also some good reviews of this pub on the following website :

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...hers/Greenwich

http://www.pub-explorer.com/olpg/plu...ers/greenwich/

I’ll start by saying I’ve never been there myself (so don't blame me for anything please), but it looks to satisfy all our criteria:

Its child friendly, serves good food, has ample parking, is near a tube, you can get a boat from Charing Cross (takes 45 mins, runs every 30 mins), or Tower Pier -adjacent to Tower of London (takes 30 mins, runs every 30 mins) or Westminster (takes 55 mins, runs every 30 mins), so that might be something nice for the kids.

I think it’s relatively easy to get to for Kent people (Sue2 has confirmed this)

If you get bored, or you simply don’t want to spend all day at the pub, you’ve got Cutty Sark, Maritime museum, etc and also I found this little snippet:

Greenwich Market has had a royal charter since 1700. From Thursday to Sunday, its cobbled stones are packed with traders’ stalls selling arts, crafts, antiques and collectables plus a food court at weekends. Two other weekend markets have stalls and shops with furniture, fashion, food, bric-a-brac, clothes and plants. The markets are a major attraction for visitors and locals giving the streets and alleyways of Greenwich an extra buzz at weekends and bank holidays.

My only concern is making sure we can all sit together, so after we’ve had some feedback (hopefully positive) from all you lovely people out there I’ll phone the pub up and see if its possible to reserve some space on Sunday 3rd July. It might be an idea to know who would be eating, as this might encourage the manager to allow us to reserve an area. Also time of arrival : should we say 12:00? This would allow time for people to meet, eat, chat, then drift off if they have other plans for the day, though if its a nice day I think me and hubbie might last for the duration!

So what d'ya reckon then ????????

Netta
Um...which tube station is it near?

Otherwise it sounds great!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Um...which tube station is it near?

Otherwise it sounds great!
There is a 'how to get there' on the link:

so its either Greenwich (Docklands Light Railway) or Cutty Sark (DLR).

Leaving the station, turn left and walk along Greenwich High Road before turning right onto Romney Road. Walk down here, past the Maritime Museum, and turn right onto Park Row. The pub is around the next corner on your left.

I'm not sure which station you will be at when you first arrive in London. For us it would be Liverpool Street, so we can get a tube to Tower Hill, walk the gateway and get the DLR to Greenwich or Cutty Sark. Sounds fairly quick and painless!

Where are you coming from Tony (i.e which London station will you be at?)

Netta
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

JAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant future

Work permitting we could probably make it with our two 5 year old boys
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:04 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a 'how to get there' on the link:

so its either Greenwich (Docklands Light Railway) or Cutty Sark (DLR).

Leaving the station, turn left and walk along Greenwich High Road before turning right onto Romney Road. Walk down here, past the Maritime Museum, and turn right onto Park Row. The pub is around the next corner on your left.

I'm not sure which station you will be at when you first arrive in London. For us it would be Liverpool Street, so we can get a tube to Tower Hill, walk the gateway and get the DLR to Greenwich or Cutty Sark. Sounds fairly quick and painless!

Where are you coming from Tony (i.e which London station will you be at?)

Netta
I'll be getting off at Waterloo East, so I guess I could get the Jubilee to Canary Wharf and the DLR (which I've never used, so it could be rather interesting ), to Cutty Sark, which appears to be nearest.

Last edited by tonyk38; Jun 2nd 2005 at 10:06 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

!!!MAJOR SPANNER IN THE WORKS!!!!

I've just come off the phone with the Plume of Feathers. I asked if we could reserve a couple of large tables in close proximity. The answer is NO unless you're eating in the restaurant. So I said what if some people don't want to eat. Well they don't have areas where you can eat or not eat. Its either one thing or the other. Also, the children aren't actually allowed in the pub itself, only the restaurant or the play area.

So this would be a logistical nightmare, and would defeat the whole object of us getting TOGETHER....we would be split up all over the place. I'm going off for a short while to stick pins in my arms. Actually I'm going to start phoning some of these other pubs on the 'child friendly' pub website, but I fear it will be just like sticking pins in my arms. I'll see if there's some others in Greenwich as this did look like an easily accessible area. I suppose as a final contingency plan there's always that last place we went to in London, but I must admit, if I had kids I'm sure they would be bored out of their brains there.......I'll be back!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come off the phone with the Plume of Feathers. I asked if we could reserve a couple of large tables in close proximity. The answer is NO unless you're eating in the restaurant. So I said what if some people don't want to eat. Well they don't have areas where you can eat or not eat. Its either one thing or the other. Also, the children aren't actually allowed in the pub itself, only the restaurant or the play area.

So this would be a logistical nightmare, and would defeat the whole object of us getting TOGETHER....we would be split up all over the place. I'm going off for a short while to stick pins in my arms. Actually I'm going to start phoning some of these other pubs on the 'child friendly' pub website, but I fear it will be just like sticking pins in my arms. I'll see if there's some others in Greenwich as this did look like an easily accessible area. I suppose as a final contingency plan there's always that last place we went to in London, but I must admit, if I had kids I'm sure they would be bored out of their brains there.......I'll be back!

What a nightmare how is that child friendly off out in a mo, but will help looking as soon as poss.

There is a cafe in Greenwich park, no idea what its like tho

Sue

Last edited by Sue2; Jun 2nd 2005 at 11:17 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok - I've tried the Cutty Sark - no chance! Lady told me it would be impossible to pre-book tables in any Greenwich pub on Sunday because its their busiest day, and they only take restaurant bookings at all the pubs she knows. So tried a few city pubs - expecting them to be dead on Sunday, and yes....they're so dead they're closed!

So tried The Bulls Head Thames Rd. Now this looks hopeful.

There isn't a seperate restaurant as such (thank god), though they do serve all sorts of different bar food (also apparently cater for veggies). The pub is child friendly up until 19:00pm, so that sounds ok. There's lots of outside seating right next to the river, so kids can run around a bit, though there's no specific play area. If you need a diversion for the day, there's always Kew Gardens (God - haven't been there for years!).

Tube station is Kew or Gunnersbury on the district line I think. Can check this out further.

The parking is a bit naff, there's only about 10 spaces in the car park, but he says that people tend to just park a little bit further up the road on the kerbside, so he didn't think this was an issue. And he said if you get there at 12:00 the car park won't be full anyway.

Once again they won't reserve tables as such, but he said that if we got there for 12:00 (when they open) it wouldn't be busy straight away, so we could stretch ourselves across two tables whilst waiting for others to arrive.

Some links :

http://www.pubs.com/bullw4.htm
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...ts.shtml/1052/ particularly like the comment :

The lower part of the pub is quite intimate but the upper part is too open and more suited to large groups Yipeeeeee

http://www.angelsandurchins.co.uk/ar...ndOnGreen.html this is a mainly profile of the area but has a nice picture of The Bull pub.

This bit is taken from link :http://www.pubfoodguide.co.uk/pubs/l...bulls-head.htm

The Bulls Head
Thames Road
Strand On The Green
London
W4 3RJ Phone 020 8994 1204
Fax
MAP Click Here

Food is served Monday-Friday 12.00-3.00 & 6.00-9.30
Saturday-Sunday 12.00-4.00 & 6.00-9.30
Average cost of a main course is between £5 & £10
There is a patio with outdoor eating facilities
Children are welcome if dining under responsible adult supervision

Starting to feel a bit more comfortable with this one. The "nice place for a lazy summer Sunday afternoon" sounds good. If its raining apparently there's plenty of room inside.

Now then Sue2.....how difficult is Kew to get to from Kent? As you know we'll be going on the train so its not so bad for us. But if its a nightmare from Kent then I think we'll have to submit and go for the pub we went to with Neil on our previous London meet - though I really can't remember where it was!!!!

Please - no more spanners in the works - tell me this one is it!

Sunday 3rd July - The Bulls Head - Strand on the Green - from 12:00 till whenever.... (the earlier the better to make sure we sit together).

Netta
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just thought I'd post a list of all the people that showed an interest in a South East / London meet. Would be great if you could now confirm whether you can make it and if so how many will be coming in total and whether you are bringing kids, and roughly what time you can expect to arrive (so we can stretch ourselves across the right number of seats without cheesing too many people off!).

One things for sure...when I arrange a meet once we get to Brisbane (Sept 9th) it WILL be child friendly, and you WON'T have to eat if you don't want to, and you WILL be able to get there easily, and there WILL be parking! Oh and to top it all - the sun WILL be shining!

JohnAndNetta - thats us - just 2 - no kids
tracey.d (its all your fault - you started this thread!)
Sue2
Secretsquirral
DollyDayDream
Fraser
JAR123
Kateandderek
Tonyk38
louise4
Rachel1978
ali south
JG04

P.S Wonder if its worth starting a new thread for the same meet - if someone new jumps on board they'll get fed up reading the thread and give up halfway through!!!! I suppose I'd better mention it on the "australian and new zealand immigration forum". I'm sure we'll get some takers there, but I'll make sure we can make it here first. Sue - where are you? Are you Kent country bumpkins ok with Kew? Can the horse and carriage make it that far?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Just thought I'd post a list of all the people that showed an interest in a South East / London meet. Would be great if you could now confirm whether you can make it and if so how many will be coming in total and whether you are bringing kids, and roughly what time you can expect to arrive (so we can stretch ourselves across the right number of seats without cheesing too many people off!).

One things for sure...when I arrange a meet once we get to Brisbane (Sept 9th) it WILL be child friendly, and you WON'T have to eat if you don't want to, and you WILL be able to get there easily, and there WILL be parking! Oh and to top it all - the sun WILL be shining!

JohnAndNetta - thats us - just 2 - no kids
tracey.d (its all your fault - you started this thread!)
Sue2
Secretsquirral
DollyDayDream
Fraser
JAR123
Kateandderek
Tonyk38
louise4
Rachel1978
ali south
JG04

P.S Wonder if its worth starting a new thread for the same meet - if someone new jumps on board they'll get fed up reading the thread and give up halfway through!!!! I suppose I'd better mention it on the "australian and new zealand immigration forum". I'm sure we'll get some takers there, but I'll make sure we can make it here first. Sue - where are you? Are you Kent country bumpkins ok with Kew? Can the horse and carriage make it that far?
Deffo coming, barring any disasters!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

So, is this meet only open to folks going to Brissie - 'cos it's looking that way

Anyone going planning to end up in Melbourne?????

May well pop along (even if you are all Brisbane-bound), but need to check the diary when I get home this evening.

Cheers

Phil
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhilShila
So, is this meet only open to folks going to Brissie - 'cos it's looking that way

Anyone going planning to end up in Melbourne?????

May well pop along (even if you are all Brisbane-bound), but need to check the diary when I get home this evening.

Cheers

Phil
There's definitely some Melbourne bound people. There's Fraser for a start. Then I think DollyDayDream. JAR123 was undecided last time I saw a post (Brissie or Melbourne). Rachel1978 is melbourne. KateandDerek were Melbourne and are now Brisbane. I've decided I'm not going through the whole list. You've definitely got some Melbourne support, even after a swift glance! You've no excuse not to come. Just let me know the numbers after you've checked your diary tonight. The more the merrier!

Netta
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

There's definitely some Melbourne bound people. There's Fraser for a start. Then I think DollyDayDream. JAR123 was undecided last time I saw a post (Brissie or Melbourne). Rachel1978 is melbourne. KateandDerek were Melbourne and are now Brisbane. I've decided I'm not going through the whole list. You've definitely got some Melbourne support, even after a swift glance! You've no excuse not to come. Just let me know the numbers after you've checked your diary tonight. The more the merrier!

Netta
Actually - I did go through the list cos I became kind of curious. And here's the results. Apologies to anyone I've got wrong, I've based this info on your previous posts so you may have changed your mind since I last read about you:

PhilShila - Melbourne
Rachel1978 - Melbourne
Ali South - Brisbane
JG04 - Brisbane
JohnAndNetta - Brisbane
Secretsquirral - lived in Melbourne (Mornington I think) considering Brisbane
Sue2 - Gold Coast
tracey.d - Brisbane
DollyDayDream - Melbourne
Fraser - Melbourne
JAR123 - maybe Melbourne or Brisbane
Kateandderek - was Melbourne, now Brisbane
Louise4 - Sydney (you lucky thing you!)
Tonyk38 - well this is embarassing - even though I've met you I can't remember where you're finally headed. Sorry Tony!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:19 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel's my wife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.