Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South Australian Wine

South Australian Wine

Old Jan 31st 2003, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

bleggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South Australian Wine

I have not bought a bottle of wine for 12 months that was not Australian. Keeping the Barossa wine industry bouyant single handed. I know which wineries and varieties I like and spend a small fortune in Tanunda Cellars whenever I am over. Can anybody with a knowledge of such matters give me some idea of particularly good wineries and bottles to look out for apart from the likes of Penfolds, Henschke and St Halletts that I am busy working my way through with a big smile on my face.

Many thanks

Hic....

Blegsterrr
Old Jan 31st 2003, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: South Australian Wine

My favourite subject!!

My favorite in the Barossa Valley was Rockfords, really small and friendly with a great peppercorn tree in the yard! They did some lovely ones. (Never seen them over here though)

Obviously Jacobs Creek, there's quite a few German Reisling types wines from the Barossa (which I didn't like).

I'm drinking a Lindemans at the moment (NSW) and my next bottle, which I may get to tonight is a Breakneck Creek (SA) I've not tried before.

Like you if its not Australia, or particularly South Australian, I don't drink it!!

Mash..

Originally posted by bleggy
I have not bought a bottle of wine for 12 months that was not Australian. Keeping the Barossa wine industry bouyant single handed. I know which wineries and varieties I like and spend a small fortune in Tanunda Cellars whenever I am over. Can anybody with a knowledge of such matters give me some idea of particularly good wineries and bottles to look out for apart from the likes of Penfolds, Henschke and St Halletts that I am busy working my way through with a big smile on my face.

Many thanks

Hic....

Blegsterrr
Old Jan 31st 2003, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

bleggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: South Australian Wine

Hi Mash

Tried a Mamre Brook Cab Sav this evening. Quite nice but over priced. Where abouts is Rockfords? One for the diary I think.

Blegs

QUOTE]Originally posted by mashiraz
My favourite subject!!

My favorite in the Barossa Valley was Rockfords, really small and friendly with a great peppercorn tree in the yard! They did some lovely ones. (Never seen them over here though)

Obviously Jacobs Creek, there's quite a few German Reisling types wines from the Barossa (which I didn't like).

I'm drinking a Lindemans at the moment (NSW) and my next bottle, which I may get to tonight is a Breakneck Creek (SA) I've not tried before.

Like you if its not Australia, or particularly South Australian, I don't drink it!!

Mash.. [/QUOTE]
Old Jan 31st 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I live about 400 metres from Hardys winery in Reynella, and about the same distance from a smaller winery called Mount Hurtle which is owned by Geoff Merrill. Hardys produce a lot of the stuff we ship over to the poms but it's still good and cheap. Nottage Hill is a favourite. Geoff's wines are a bit more specialied but still available in the UK - my sister is trying to drink them dry ! Penfolds Rawson's Retreat is a fav red of mine too. Try some of the McLaren Vale wines - huge wine growing area to the south of Adelaide about 15 minutes from my house (why do I never fo there?) Don't just stick to the Barossa wines. Oh and then there's Banrock Station wines from the Murraylands - an eco winery, won lots of awards for both the wines and their work on the local environment - they are on the Murray River.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I tell you I'm enjoying breakneck's creek, going down a treat, kids in bed, hubby out. fantastic..

I've had Rawsons and Nottage, ok, I tend to stick to whites and chardonnays, can't stand the reislings.......
Not done a day out in McLaren Vale, done Barossa 3 times 3 different years, go a photo each time in Jacobs creek with same lady...each time.....

The Rockfords did a nice sparkling rose.....
Can't wait to be back there....
Mash...

Burp....ooooohh pardn...

QUOTE]Originally posted by wizzywozza
I live about 400 metres from Hardys winery in Reynella, and about the same distance from a smaller winery called Mount Hurtle which is owned by Geoff Merrill. Hardys produce a lot of the stuff we ship over to the poms but it's still good and cheap. Nottage Hill is a favourite. Geoff's wines are a bit more specialied but still available in the UK - my sister is trying to drink them dry ! Penfolds Rawson's Retreat is a fav red of mine too. Try some of the McLaren Vale wines - huge wine growing area to the south of Adelaide about 15 minutes from my house (why do I never fo there?) Don't just stick to the Barossa wines. Oh and then there's Banrock Station wines from the Murraylands - an eco winery, won lots of awards for both the wines and their work on the local environment - they are on the Murray River. [/QUOTE]
Old Jan 31st 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

do you know orlando lawsons ?

I have a nice '92 vintage padthaway shiraz in my rack..

cheers

richard
Old Jan 31st 2003, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats's my name -----shiraz (save it for me, please...)

Mash...

Originally posted by r.bartlett
do you know orlando lawsons ?

I have a nice '92 vintage padthaway shiraz in my rack..

cheers

richard
Old Feb 1st 2003, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you heard of Yalumba?

We have enjoyed a good few of their wines. They have a vast range. If it is available in the UK stay away from the boxed Colombard Chardonnay because it won't impress you but their regular bottled wines are good and are reasonably priced.

Yalumba is a wonderful wine estate owned by the same family for generations now. Great vineyard to visit. Lots of history and lovely old buildings. They are quite progressive.

They do a sparkling shiraz (called Yalumba "D" - it should appeal to you mashiraz!) - very unique and very yummy - not sure if you'll get it in the UK though.
Old Feb 1st 2003, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,Had a great time in the barossa last time we were there.My neice takes clients on tours there now and then and has become a bit of a wine snob.(We had to drag her into orlando cellars jacobs creek)She swears by peter lehmans and Imust admit Iliked the white wines from there .Her favourite red is not from lehmans and is called WIRRA WIRRA CHURCHBLOCK,sells in the uk but dont think you`ll find it in supermarkets.I always ask for south or south eastern oz char,if they dont stock it ,I have a beer or two.