Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South Australia tell us all about it

South Australia tell us all about it

Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:38 pm
a clear conscience is the

heleng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South Australia tell us all about it

Just found out I may have a good chance of moving to South Australia as there is a skills shortage in teaching and the environment sector, which bodes well for nyself and hubby.

Can anyone recomend any towns or cities, good and bad points about SA.

cheers
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Australia tell us all about it

Originally Posted by heleng
Just found out I may have a good chance of moving to South Australia as there is a skills shortage in teaching and the environment sector, which bodes well for nyself and hubby.

cheers
How about stacks of vineyards for a start?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:05 pm

Sold!!!!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
How about stacks of vineyards for a start?
The rest is mostly desert apart from Adelaide and a few towns around the coast.

G
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Robert Thrower is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
Hi

Firstly good luck with your application. We have just received our VISA's after 14 months of stress. We leave for SA in Nov. 04.

We are looking at Mount Barker, Flaggstaff Hill, Maclaren Vale and Victor Harbor. All of these towns are superb in our opinion. You should take a good look at Glenelg and Brighton (fantastic places to live if budgets will allow). We hope our comment helps you.....I would suggest that you log onto adelaidebrits website (lots of very useful help).

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Rob and family (6 in total)
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
The rest is mostly desert apart from Adelaide and a few towns around the coast.

G
Hello grayling thought you was another one who no longer posted, good to see you back

Geographically correct there and what would not appeal to me about adelaide from my brief vistits as a kid, is surrounded by desert the winds that blow in create monsterous temperatures in summer, 40 and way above is not unusual, like a hot oven constantly blowing. Small as cities go, but of course not as isolated as Perth only 8 hours drive from Melbourne.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:55 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hello grayling thought you was another one who no longer posted, good to see you back

Geographically correct there and what would not appeal to me about adelaide from my brief vistits as a kid, is surrounded by desert the winds that blow in create monsterous temperatures in summer, 40 and way above is not unusual, like a hot oven constantly blowing. Small as cities go, but of course not as isolated as Perth only 8 hours drive from Melbourne.
Hi Jad n rich
Been in the Good Ole' USA for a while.

Not stopped posting altogether just can't be bothered much of the time.

Sense of 'deja vu' about a lot of threads

Most of the interesting posters seem busy elsewhere it seems.
More like a Travelogue again

Best wishes

G

Last edited by Grayling; Oct 21st 2004 at 8:12 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:01 pm
wombat42

Adelaide is known as the worlds serial killer capital. The most recent was the
snowtown killers who murdered 12 people and put their bodies in barrels of acid in a bank vault. Read the link below " Adelaide city of corpses " before considering moving there.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...corpses_1.html

Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

AliHay is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
Hi there

I lived in South Australia with my family for 14 years. Good suburbs are Brighton, Glenelg (if the budget stretches), Adelaide Hills (cooler in the summer, as it can get to 40 degrees most days), Parkholme, Happy Valley, O'Halloran Hill (towards the south). Adelaide is quite quiet but has picked up its pace in the last 10 years. It is very pretty and easy to get around, 20 minutes to most places. South Australia has the wineries, Flinders Ranges and Kangaroo Island (a real find)!

We are heading back to Australia in the New year but to Sydney as that is where my folks are.

Hope the info helps.

Regards Alison
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:06 pm

cool!!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:11 pm

Wow Rob! 6 of you, there will be 5 of us... did u DIY or use agent? How did u find the whole process, any advice re kids??

Helen
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

cool!!

Hi Heleng,

This site should help you, lots and lots of information on there about Adelaide and a very helpful bunch of people too, good luck http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx

Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:17 pm

Ooh Grayling!! pardon me..I asumed this was a forum that would help getting to know australia, how people got there and so on....is there another thread for old timers???? For those that have been there done it .. now making the nth DVD!!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Ooh Grayling!! pardon me..I asumed this was a forum that would help getting to know australia, how people got there and so on....is there another thread for old timers???? For those that have been there done it .. now making the nth DVD!!
Helen
My last post was a reply to Jad n Rich.

My previous post was accurate. SA is mostly desert. It relies on water from the Murray river and is the hottest (in the summer) state. It is also colder than other states (apart from Tasmania) in the winter.

It also happens to be where my son lives and where I may well be moving to soon as he is giving me his house in Norwood (in Adelaide) to live in for free,as long as I like ,as he is moving back to Sydney where the Hi tech jobs are.

Most threads get sidetracked now and again. Get used to it.

G

Edited for spelling

Last edited by Grayling; Oct 21st 2004 at 8:35 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

bindi is an unknown quantity at this point

Adelaide is very laid back and has a much slower pace of life compared to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. The population is much smaller and Aussies often joke about it being "a big country town". There is plenty of night-life, great concerts, top theatre, brilliant restaurants and plenty of awesome wineries to check-out... but if you are a true urban-ite it may not have the full-on 24-7 buzz you are looking for.

It is surrounded by desert so the Summers can be hot beyond belief. I remember growing up with weeks of temperatures above 38 degrees. I'd suggest air conditioning, for both house and car, is absolutely essential for anyone not used to living in hot country. The beaches in Adelaide are lovely, but you won't get a lot of big surf as its a sheltered gulf. You'll have to drive approx 30 mins south to get proper surfing tubes! The middle of Winter can be cold too, around 5-7 degrees during the day. Nobody has central heating, and our houses aren't like British houses so it can feel quite chilly, especially June-August.

I grew up in outback South Australia, and moved to Adelaide when I was 15. I moved to Melbourne when I was 25 and for the past 10 years I've been travelling and living all over including Sydney, Wales and Manchester. But in three weeks I'll be moving back home to Adelaide to settle down! Can't wait to see my family again!!!

Good luck with everything
bindi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.