Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

south australia stni

south australia stni

Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:56 pm

mayten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default south australia stni

we have just sent back our declaration to south australia and received an e-mail back saying they had sent it to dimia for approval , we have already completed the tra mountain and have also just sent our main application .
my question is what happens next? do we here from either dimia or sa and how long before we get any acknowledgement?
has anyone recently done the same thing who can tell me what to expect?by the way i am a spark and any help is much appreciated,
paul and diane
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:05 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: south australia stni

Originally posted by mayten
we have just sent back our declaration to south australia and received an e-mail back saying they had sent it to dimia for approval , we have already completed the tra mountain and have also just sent our main application .
my question is what happens next? do we here from either dimia or sa and how long before we get any acknowledgement?
has anyone recently done the same thing who can tell me what to expect?by the way i am a spark and any help is much appreciated,
paul and diane

Hi Paul
I am also an electrician and gained STNI from South Australia.
My timeline is below my name.
If you are in a rush to get your visa, i would give it 6 weeks and get your medicals and police checks done then.
Good Luck.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point

paul and diane
Hello Mayten

We went thru same process and are now in Southern Suburbs of Adelaide. We sent back the signed STNI Scheme Declaration on the 20 August 2002. By end October 2002 we received a letter from ASPC requesting that we submit Medicals and Police Checks. All this was complete by end November or early December 2002 and sent off. We heard nothing then until first week of February 2003 advising our visas had been granted. We were told that our first entry to Oz should be made no later than 20 June 2003. We arrived here in Adelaide 12 June 2003.

My husband is a carpenter and is working for a house building company. He is completing a carpentry course at a TAFE as he cannot get his Carpenter's Licence without an Aussie Qualification. He completed his first assessment last night at the TAFE. He is building enormous timber framed houses and is enjoying working in the sun and wearing shorts for the best part of the year!

We opted for the Meet and Greet service offered here. We were sent an email just before we left UK informing us of the address of the place we would be renting. We were met at Adelaide airport by a lovely couple. They drove us to the unit we were given. The house was just fine for us for our first few weeks while we found our feet. We just paid weekly rent and all other utility bills were paid by the Immigration Dept. The couple stayed with us for a couple of hours and went thru all formalities of form fillings we would need to complete. They also took us to a big shopping centre to get food and bedding. They were extremely helpful.

Good luck with your application
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:41 pm

mayten is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks adelaidebound and daffy,
i feel much better about it now i know what to expect.
adelaidebound have you got a job yet?
daffy, does your husband know anyone who's looking for an electrician with new build experiance(cheeky i know) cos i got loads of it,
thanks again guys
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:53 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks adelaidebound and daffy,
i feel much better about it now i know what to expect.
adelaidebound have you got a job yet?
daffy, does your husband know anyone who's looking for an electrician with new build experiance(cheeky i know) cos i got loads of it,
thanks again guys
Hi Mayten
No I am not going to bother trying to get a job until I get there.
I do not think we will have to much trouble getting work there from feedback given on Adelaide Brits. Remember also that STNI would not be offered if there was no demand for electricans in South Australia.
There seems to be quite a demand for construction workers in Australia generally, more so in South Australia.
You will however have to work supervised until you gain the Australian equivalent of the South Australian sparkies licence.

Good Luck.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mayten
paul and diane

I wonder if anyone who has gone the STNI route for SA has done it without using an agent and could you let us know what it entailed and was it successful/worth doing alone?

We are going to use GoMatilda as our Agent but on the SA Government official website you can fill out an application and they will give you an indication of whether your skills are what they are looking for - its free to do which is the even better part !

Can anyone tell me

(a) if this is worth doing just as an insight into the need for hubby's electrician trade - we dont want to pay an agent, do a recce trip only to find out theres no chance getting in

(b) will it harm our chances at all with STNI if we go this route, if it isnt 100% clear if they want hubby (no comment!! lol), so we then use an agent for added impetus?

Thanks for reading and any replies MUCH appreciated.

Kind regards
K
Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
I wonder if anyone who has gone the STNI route for SA has done it without using an agent and could you let us know what it entailed and was it successful/worth doing alone?

We are going to use GoMatilda as our Agent but on the SA Government official website you can fill out an application and they will give you an indication of whether your skills are what they are looking for - its free to do which is the even better part !

Can anyone tell me

(a) if this is worth doing just as an insight into the need for hubby's electrician trade - we dont want to pay an agent, do a recce trip only to find out theres no chance getting in

(b) will it harm our chances at all with STNI if we go this route, if it isnt 100% clear if they want hubby (no comment!! lol), so we then use an agent for added impetus?

Thanks for reading and any replies MUCH appreciated.

Kind regards
K
We applied online to SA a few weeks ago and received an answer within a week, we were declined and when we asked why we were told it was because we weren't bringing enough money with us. Easily sorted as we will remortgage the house to free up some capital before we go.

This was all done without using an agent and seemed very easy.