Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South Australia Police ( SAPOL) December course

South Australia Police ( SAPOL) December course

Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Mickos is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up South Australia Police ( SAPOL) December course

Hi, I am a current UK seving Police Officer joining SAPOL on the 1st December, and would like to share my fears/expectations/thoughts etc... with anyone else on the same course, and in the same boat. Cheers, Mick.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Australia Police ( SAPOL) December course

Originally Posted by Mickos
Hi, I am a current UK seving Police Officer joining SAPOL on the 1st December, and would like to share my fears/expectations/thoughts etc... with anyone else on the same course, and in the same boat. Cheers, Mick.
Sorry, don't know - but welcome to the forum! Try posting on the police section of the site http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Good luck!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mick,
just read your post. Hubby joined Sapol on the March intake.
The girls (aged 8 & 10) and i stayed on in the uk to tie up loose ends and sell the house, we joined him here in Adelaide in June.
How long have you been a serving police officer in the uk?
which county? (we are from Kent).
Do you have a family?.
Hubby does not come on these forums, but i might beable to twist his arm!!!
If we can be of any help!!!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I am from the West Mids, and have been a bobby for 8 years. I am flying out on Nov 26th ish, for about 2 months alone, then the wife and 3 kiddies will join me when i've found a decent rental place.
My kids are boys of 12 & 13, and a girl of 14, who is the problem...?
I hope to live between O'Sullivan Beach and Grange, but need to find somewhere that isnt out in the sticks for the kids to have some life and activity going on, then I need to be near a half decent school. Tha wages appear to be very low, so a struggle initially I suspect.
Where do you live, where is hubby based, I'm going to the Transit Services Branch based in The City Cetre train station. (BTP to you and I...)
Ive heard they are allowing an amount of seniority as well.
My e-mail address is [email protected] so if you have any real issues that have got to you, please can you share them with me, as I am both excited and nervous at the same time. If you were offered the post now, would you take it...?
Thanks,

Mick.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I am from the West Mids, and have been a bobby for 8 years. I am flying out on Nov 26th ish, for about 2 months alone, then the wife and 3 kiddies will join me when i've found a decent rental place.
My kids are boys of 12 & 13, and a girl of 14, who is the problem...?
I hope to live between O'Sullivan Beach and Grange, but need to find somewhere that isnt out in the sticks for the kids to have some life and activity going on, then I need to be near a half decent school. Tha wages appear to be very low, so a struggle initially I suspect.
Where do you live, where is hubby based, I'm going to the Transit Services Branch based in The City Cetre train station. (BTP to you and I...)
Ive heard they are allowing an amount of seniority as well.
My e-mail address is [email protected] so if you have any real issues that have got to you, please can you share them with me, as I am both excited and nervous at the same time. If you were offered the post now, would you take it...?
Thanks,

Mick.
Hi Mick,
I hope all is well, i know the rollercoaster of emotions you and your family are experienings right now and believe me when i say it's just the begining.
I don't envy you, with your children being the ages they are.
The transition for your children ( in my opinion) will be a lot more difficult for you as a family, then i experienced with mine. We caught ours at just the right age 8 & 10. Both started school after being here for just a week.
We felt it was best to get them started as soon as possible and make new friends (less time to think). The plan payed off! They are happy and have lots of friends.
We live in Highbury (north east of Adelaide) and my hubby is based in Elizabeth. A very busy area for him to work in, but thats how he likes it.
One of his friends is with Transit services in the city and says it's very quiet and can be a bit boring. Depends what you are use to and prefer!!!!
Not sure if you have been to Adelaide before or even Australia!!! we hadn't been to either. Some people would call us crazy. And do you what i think maybe we are.
But i'm 40 hubby 38 and i remember reading once:
"better to try and return, then spending the rest of you life wishing you had!"
if that makes any sense? so here we are.
You ask the million dollar question "if you were offered the post now would you still take it? very difficult to answer. Each family is a different case and want change for different reasons.
Still very early days for us.
Hubby is happy to stay. For me i am out of my comfort zone, not unhappy but feel insecure not being around familiar things. Homesickness is a funny word and can mean different things. I am not paticularly close to my family but dont underestimate the loss you will feel when saying goodbye to family and close freinds the wrench is enormous.
If you can and you own a property, i would say keep it for a while, i know this is not always possible. But try not to burn all your bridges.
I will warn you finding a decent rental, is not always easy. Plenty around but alot of them really grim.
Another good forum for you to visit is Adelaidebrits, a really friendly site where you can get an abundance of help/information about living here in Adelaide.
Any other questions? and i shall ask hubby or try and get him to chat to you.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Desire
Hi Mick,
I hope all is well, i know the rollercoaster of emotions you and your family are experienings right now and believe me when i say it's just the begining.
I don't envy you, with your children being the ages they are.
The transition for your children ( in my opinion) will be a lot more difficult for you as a family, then i experienced with mine. We caught ours at just the right age 8 & 10. Both started school after being here for just a week.
We felt it was best to get them started as soon as possible and make new friends (less time to think). The plan payed off! They are happy and have lots of friends.
We live in Highbury (north east of Adelaide) and my hubby is based in Elizabeth. A very busy area for him to work in, but thats how he likes it.
One of his friends is with Transit services in the city and says it's very quiet and can be a bit boring. Depends what you are use to and prefer!!!!
Not sure if you have been to Adelaide before or even Australia!!! we hadn't been to either. Some people would call us crazy. And do you what i think maybe we are.
But i'm 40 hubby 38 and i remember reading once:
"better to try and return, then spending the rest of you life wishing you had!"
if that makes any sense? so here we are.
You ask the million dollar question "if you were offered the post now would you still take it? very difficult to answer. Each family is a different case and want change for different reasons.
Still very early days for us.
Hubby is happy to stay. For me i am out of my comfort zone, not unhappy but feel insecure not being around familiar things. Homesickness is a funny word and can mean different things. I am not paticularly close to my family but dont underestimate the loss you will feel when saying goodbye to family and close freinds the wrench is enormous.
If you can and you own a property, i would say keep it for a while, i know this is not always possible. But try not to burn all your bridges.
I will warn you finding a decent rental, is not always easy. Plenty around but alot of them really grim.
Another good forum for you to visit is Adelaidebrits, a really friendly site where you can get an abundance of help/information about living here in Adelaide.
Any other questions? and i shall ask hubby or try and get him to chat to you.

Hi, Thanks for the excellent reply, sorry I have taken ages to reply, I have been lost in the amount of information available on all the Forum type sites there are out there.
I am going to Transit Services Branch, in the central Adelaide train station, do you know any decent places to rent/live/schools/teen life that you may have come across on your travels through the minefield of information available to us.
I will reply again soon, I'm a slow typist, and have to go to work. West Mids, e3 divn.
Cheers,

Mick.