south australia

Old Oct 12th 2003, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default south australia

well after a few drinks with my dad (he is mine of information) he has said (dont know if this is true) that s/aus is the called the free state because it is the only state where people voluntarily went, all the other states had to take deportees

well is this this true

arlene
Old Oct 12th 2003, 1:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that, yes, and some Aussie novels about that period portray people in SA as considering themselves a bit above the other cities because of it. There was a real class thing, even freed convicts weren't accepted in society, so to be in a city founded wholly free must have been quite the Upper Class.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

wow i thought he was having a laugh with me must read up on this one

arlene

going to the free state of adelaide
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember where I've seen it, though it gets mentioned in lots of novels - possibly Robert Hughes "Fatal Shore" or maybe Philip Knightley's "Australia". Can't check for you I'm afraid Arlene, cos (altogether now)....I've packed them!!!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:18 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Its true -is also known as the most liberal state in Aus.-second place in the world to give women the vote-so there you go
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

winging my way there already

arlene

Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:50 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by arlene
winging my way there already

arlene

The thing i find especially interesting about the free state, is that the state was founded and populated by an ex convict
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mmmmm perhaps not going to the free state after all then

arlene still believing im going to the free state
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by seang
Its true -is also known as the most liberal state in Aus.-second place in the world to give women the vote-so there you go
May be the most liberal in terms of legislation. Certainly not the most liberal in terms of attitudes to women !!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:39 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]May be the most liberal in terms of legislation. Certainly not the most liberal in terms of attitudes to women

how so ?
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:46 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by seang
May be the most liberal in terms of legislation. Certainly not the most liberal in terms of attitudes to women

how so ?
The sister in law finds the place very conservative. she never wants to see a navy blue dress again for the rest of her life.

Her idiot husband made her sell up her house in Paddington to move to Adelaide. She has hated the decision ever since. Now she is priced out of Sydney and stuck in one of Australias backwaters.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by bondipom
The sister in law finds the place very conservative. she never wants to see a navy blue dress again for the rest of her life.

Her idiot husband made her sell up her house in Paddington to move to Adelaide. She has hated the decision ever since. Now she is priced out of Sydney and stuck in one of Australias backwaters.

Yes skirts, nylons and high heels to work every day, and if you have an important meeting with male clients a tight top to show off your assets (at which you are expected to pour the tea and look demure).

On Saturday put on your baggy tracksuit pants and load up the kiddies in the 1996 Pajero and take them to the footy (at which you stand on the side and gossip about everything that moves).

But hey - we do have a gay guy serving at the Clinique counter in Myers, so it must be liberal.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 10:16 am

Originally posted by Sunlover
Yes skirts, nylons and high heels to work every day, and if you have an important meeting with male clients a tight top to show off your assets (at which you are expected to pour the tea and look demure).

On Saturday put on your baggy tracksuit pants and load up the kiddies in the 1996 Pajero and take them to the footy (at which you stand on the side and gossip about everything that moves).

But hey - we do have a gay guy serving at the Clinique counter in Myers, so it must be liberal.
Sydney is one of the Worlds gayest cities. Getting the bus down Oxford St can be as eye opening as the Mardi Gras
Old Oct 13th 2003, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
Sydney is one of the Worlds gayest cities. Getting the bus down Oxford St can be as eye opening as the Mardi Gras
Gayer than San Francisco ? We used to love riding around on the tram at night observing the people who got on and off in their club-going regalia.

Even the billboard advertising there shows loving gay couples rather than hetero ones.

When we flew to Aus last year we flew from San Francisco and landed up on flight full of gay guys going to the Gay Olympics in Sydney. There were two other woman passengers on the plane apart from me. The flight was so full that we couldn't sit together and I had to leave my (very good looking) husband to fend for himself.

Last edited by Sunlover; Oct 13th 2003 at 11:17 am.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 11:26 am

Originally posted by Sunlover
Gayer than San Francisco ? We used to love riding around on the tram at night observing the people who got on and off in their club-going regalia.

Even the billboard advertising there shows loving gay couples rather than hetero ones.

When we flew to Aus last year we flew from San Francisco and landed up on flight full of gay guys going to the Gay Olympics in Sydney. There were two other woman passengers on the plane apart from me. The flight was so full that we couldn't sit together and I had to leave my (very good looking) husband to fend for himself.
I have never been to San Francisco so I cannot compare. There are not gay ads in the streets here. I think Darlinghurst and Newtown attract gays because they get some much hatred directed at them elsewhere. Then there are the gay beaches such as glamarama (tamarama). Watch out for the anus floss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.