Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorting your life out.... literally!

Sorting your life out.... literally!

Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:09 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorting your life out.... literally!

Well it has started!

We have started going through our masses of accumulated "stuff" and am separating it into:

1. Taking it
2. Binning it
3. Send it to charity
4. Put it on Ebay
5. Give it away

I never even realised at all how soul destroying this part of the "life laundry" was.... I even cried when selling bundles of Jonah's old winter clothes on Ebay!

Is it just me & my post-baby blues?????
Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sorting your life out.... literally!

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Well it has started!

We have started going through our masses of accumulated "stuff" and am separating it into:

1. Taking it
2. Binning it
3. Send it to charity
4. Put it on Ebay
5. Give it away

I never even realised at all how soul destroying this part of the "life laundry" was.... I even cried when selling bundles of Jonah's old winter clothes on Ebay!

well you are more organised than me mate thats for sure!! i havent even considered that yet

selling the house is proving more difficult than we thought so maybe when we agree a sale i will get round to it then. when will you put yours on the market?
Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:23 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
well you are more organised than me mate thats for sure!! i havent even considered that yet

selling the house is proving more difficult than we thought so maybe when we agree a sale i will get round to it then. when will you put yours on the market?
put my house on the market??? LOL NEVER!!!! Why you ask???
BECAUSE WE HAVE ALREADY AGREED A SALE WITHOUT ANY RUDDY ESTATE AGENTS BEING INVOLVED!!!
Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:25 am
Account Closed

put my house on the market??? LOL NEVER!!!! Why you ask???
BECAUSE WE HAVE ALREADY AGREED A SALE WITHOUT ANY RUDDY ESTATE AGENTS BEING INVOLVED!!!

now that is jammy!!!

blimey i could do with some of that for sure!!
Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:28 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by Rooksie
now that is jammy!!!

blimey i could do with some of that for sure!!
Its Steve's boss - he wants to buy it to rent out as he has bought 4 or 5 round our estate over the last year or so too. I am not complaining - we have agreed a price & negotiated to live here for a couple of months free gratis too!
Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Its Steve's boss - he wants to buy it to rent out as he has bought 4 or 5 round our estate over the last year or so too. I am not complaining - we have agreed a price & negotiated to live here for a couple of months free gratis too!

tell him theres a lovely place in torquay that would earn him a few quid in rental or as a holiday let. its 10 mins from the beach:

http://www.vebra.com/home/search/vde...69&pid=9851896

Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

we've part shipped, we'll have about 4 tea chest to send out just before we leave. We still have to sell the car and do a car boot sale..so you're very organised compared to us! I found packing quite emotional, it's weird boxing up all your bits and bobs..I just want to leave now as our flat is all empty and bare.
Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Well it has started!

1. Taking it
2. Binning it
3. Send it to charity
4. Put it on Ebay
5. Give it away

Hi,

I have been exactly the same, I recently sold my daughters playhouse on ebay and when I spoke to the lady who had won it I ended up in tears and when I sent stuff to the charity shop I was the same, I had began to think that I was going a bit crazy as I have no post-baby blues that I can blame my emotional outbursts for.

We are moving out of our house next weekend into a rental so who knows what kind of emotional wreck I will be then, keep telling myself its just a house in the hope that I wont flood the place out with tears before we leave.

Claire
Old Sep 17th 2005, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by claire33
Hi,

I have been exactly the same, I recently sold my daughters playhouse on ebay and when I spoke to the lady who had won it I ended up in tears and when I sent stuff to the charity shop I was the same, I had began to think that I was going a bit crazy as I have no post-baby blues that I can blame my emotional outbursts for.

We are moving out of our house next weekend into a rental so who knows what kind of emotional wreck I will be then, keep telling myself its just a house in the hope that I wont flood the place out with tears before we leave.

Claire
stop!! you are going to set me off in a minute!!
Old Sep 17th 2005, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Well it has started!

1. Taking it
2. Binning it
3. Send it to charity
4. Put it on Ebay
5. Give it away

I am at exactly the same stage and and am finding it heartbreaking.
Photos/old love letters and the baby clothes have been the real killers
You are right, this 'life laundry' is incredibly gut wrenching
Old Sep 18th 2005, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

I must be heartless, I simply can't wait to get rid of everything, mainly because its everyones useless clutter that is just taking up space.
If you havn't used it, worn it or talked about it for the last 6 months you don't need it.

It will be a great opportunity to get just what you want in your new life instead of all the things that people get you, give you etc or you just buy and don't know why.

Before I buy anything else in our new life I shall be thinking "where can I put it and do I really really want/ need it"

Non Materialistic girly, sentiment is all in your memory so why do you need items to remind you?

Wait till your kids are as big as you and have as much stuff as you and its all as big as your stuff, then you'll see.

Kim
Old Sep 18th 2005, 12:58 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by Kimmy67
I must be heartless, I simply can't wait to get rid of everything, mainly because its everyones useless clutter that is just taking up space.
If you havn't used it, worn it or talked about it for the last 6 months you don't need it.

It will be a great opportunity to get just what you want in your new life instead of all the things that people get you, give you etc or you just buy and don't know why.

Before I buy anything else in our new life I shall be thinking "where can I put it and do I really really want/ need it"

Non Materialistic girly, sentiment is all in your memory so why do you need items to remind you?

Wait till your kids are as big as you and have as much stuff as you and its all as big as your stuff, then you'll see.

Kim
whilst i understand you POV i cannot believe that you can so easily shrug off everything from your life.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:53 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Well it has started!

1. Taking it
2. Binning it
3. Send it to charity
4. Put it on Ebay
5. Give it away

Problem is its never ending. My wife and I have PSS coming tomorrow and frankly we're still up to our neck in crap. Already done a large skip, 2 transit van fulls and given away what we can.

Its all rather real at the moment
Old Sep 18th 2005, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

whilst i understand you POV i cannot believe that you can so easily shrug off everything from your life.

Easily - all my life happenings have all been registered in my head / memory. You can't take it with you when you die so why bother to take it to Australia. Live for today not for yesterday or tommorrow !! Free your self of emotional baggage. My father died 4 years ago, but I still remember him like he was here yesterday, all it takes is a quiet moment of reflection.

But hey I can understand people wanting to hold on to posessions. Things like photos that capture a moment rather than a feeling etc...

Kim
Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kimmy67
Easily - all my life happenings have all been registered in my head / memory. You can't take it with you when you die so why bother to take it to Australia. Live for today not for yesterday or tommorrow !! Free your self of emotional baggage. My father died 4 years ago, but I still remember him like he was here yesterday, all it takes is a quiet moment of reflection.

But hey I can understand people wanting to hold on to posessions. Things like photos that capture a moment rather than a feeling etc...

Kim
Im with you on this one Kimmy,i actually enjoyed throwing all the acculated stuff away,it organizes and declutters the brain.
My 7 and 9 year old are the same ,when they are bored with their toys they let me get rid when we have our 6 monthly clear out.I do however have a thing for photos,oh and carrier bags,yes i know ,i always think they will come in handy.
donna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.