Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorry, a very middle aged question

Sorry, a very middle aged question

Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry, a very middle aged question

Before (sorry should say before i used this site), i never , ever thought about financies.........and i mean ever..........had enough to get by .........so that suited, but you lot have made me grow up

So!! what provisions have you made about pensions and the future etc, etc, For me, well lucky enough i never came outta superann in nhs (not through being clever, just couldn't be bothered filling out forms when it was the 'trend' to opt out).

My hubby and i each have a wee 'policy' we are hoping to leave here and pay it every month, (is this ok and legal )
We are both 42 and the equity from our house aint alot, just enough to emigrate and get set up. And honestly, this is not a major issue for us, just something we need to do, but beginning to think of 'old age' (but I'll always be young at heart)

Any suggestions for my future welcome

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 11th 2007 at 10:59 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:11 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry, a very middle aged question

We are in the process of having hubbies NHS pension transferred over into an Aussie Super fund and we may have just got it in the 6 months timescale for having to pay Aussie Tax (on the growth earned from the date we entered Oz).
He will then be able to contribute this end from his current job.

Better than it stuck in blighty and then having to pay up to 55% tax on it!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that we've done nothing else.

Loz x
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry, a very middle aged question

Hmmm, not that I know a great deal about the subject, but I'd love to see if any financial advisor can come up with a better one. For basic financial security (Apparently circa Aud 480,000 in super at retirement age at present), you are both going to need full time jobs, making sure that the employer pays the max contribution at the lowest input rate you can get (IE:at Apost thats 5 pct from us and 11 pct from Apost ... same ratio with the wifes Hospital job). That is so you can fund and pour resources into Real Estate for yourselves, You need to maximse the capitol growth on any real estate purchase, moving out and downsizing and reedeming the capitol growth upon retirement.

The real estate element probably means inner city living, or coastal, except with coastal living you'll be dead lucky to find two well paying jobs.

Sorry to be so bleak, but I think I've got it right.... Best of luck.

If I've got it wrong, I'll be pleased to be corrected, because it's the track I'm on and I'd love a change