Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorry its long but its worth the read!

Sorry its long but its worth the read!

Old May 21st 2003, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry its long but its worth the read!

Just received this email sorry its long......ahh the memories!!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, and 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and
fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - and it tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends, we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball
really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue - we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.
Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

Tori
Old May 21st 2003, 9:23 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true! Cheers - Don
Old May 21st 2003, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

And it was great!!
Old May 21st 2003, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Wolfen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sorry its long but its worth the read!

So so true..... How did we ever get this far!!!
Old May 21st 2003, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Great read!

footie chick
Old May 21st 2003, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, and 70's probably shouldn't have survived ....

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

206 children get killed in car accidents approx. every year, an estimated 60% could have been saved by wearing seat belts.

When my sister was 2 she ate half a glass of my granny's sleeping tablets and had to be taken for a stomach pump.

So some things do make sense.

As far as the rest is concerned, I'm with you there.
Old May 21st 2003, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Brings back many fond memories - if the kids of today could never do even half the things I did back then (70s). As long as we were home by dark it was ok!!!

Great read
Old May 21st 2003, 12:04 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

those were the days I can remember the 'shows' we kids put on in the road for our parents. We could play hop skotch in the street as there was only one car in the road.
I walked to brownies and guides along an unlit alley by a river without fear.
We also knew that if we did wrong and were caught by a bobby we could get a clip around the ear or be taken to our parents for a talking to.
Most of this generation learnt right from wrong and it stuck with them for them to teach their children. What has gone wrong nowadays apart from the inability to let kids out on their own without fear any more and therefore they sit watching the box or playing electronic games?????????????
One great loss due to the above is the lack of imagination that children have in the present times - no longer is a cardboard box a multitude of great playthings theoir toys have to cost bucks$$$
Old May 21st 2003, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

like some of you i was a child of the 70's, i now have 5 children ranging from 20yrs old down to 6. so my generation is supposidly responsible for all the youth crime etc.. but look what were up against..
society in general puts high expections on mothers to work, especialy single ones,
media and advertising tells our kids what they should be wearing, to be in the "in crowd"
teachers arn't allowed to disapline our children for bad behaviours, and neither are we!
over the last 20 years drugs have invaded our lives, and is often seen as "trendy" by our young ones to take ..i.e.. extacy, cannibis.
paedaphiles roam our streets and watch our children play
guns and other wepons, in some places are becoming usual "accessories".
"joy riders and car theifs" get community service

i often find my self talking about the "old day's " to my kids and how different it was then (i sound like my mother)
what worries me the most, is the next 20 years when all these "disafected" kids have kids, now thats a worry!!

ellen
Old May 21st 2003, 12:36 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Might seem good looking back , but I think things are better now than back then.
We could,nt have gone to places like Australia or america for our hols.
People diagnosed with cancers had a no win future.
EVERYONE smoked back then not really knowing the damage it was doing them.
Valium, asbestos, drugs that deformed children, power cuts, strikes, No sugar, no Bread, no petrol, no computers, no internet,
mind you I did like playing with my Chopper
Old May 21st 2003, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ellen1
like some of you i was a child of the 70's, i now have 5 children ranging from 20yrs old down to 6. so my generation is supposidly responsible for all the youth crime etc.. but look what were up against..
society in general puts high expections on mothers to work, especialy single ones,
media and advertising tells our kids what they should be wearing, to be in the "in crowd"
teachers arn't allowed to disapline our children for bad behaviours, and neither are we!
over the last 20 years drugs have invaded our lives, and is often seen as "trendy" by our young ones to take ..i.e.. extacy, cannibis.
paedaphiles roam our streets and watch our children play
guns and other wepons, in some places are becoming usual "accessories".
"joy riders and car theifs" get community service

i often find my self talking about the "old day's " to my kids and how different it was then (i sound like my mother)
what worries me the most, is the next 20 years when all these "disafected" kids have kids, now thats a worry!!

ellen
It's funny how we start sounding like our parents:scared:

I agree on many of your concerns, kids just seem to grow up very quickly in the UK. We hear so many awful things nowadays, its the norm to hear about murders, child abductions, gun culture, drug crime, its worldwide I know, but it seems the UK has plenty more of these problems than most. Its the local news thats not shown on national tv that can be just as disturbing. Like the number of rapes or kids getting beaten up for their mobile phones etc. One of the reasons to get out for most of us.

The next 20yrs is what frightens me, wouldn't want to be in the UK thank you. I'm for a quieter family orientated lifestyle thanks.
Old May 21st 2003, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

I got sent the same one the other day and it really made me smilerelating to its contents.especially

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.
How true!
We often went on long bike rides in the summer ( cos we did tend to get a bit of summer in those days).
We would set out early in the day and then return late evening.One of us always seemed to get a puncture and more often than not that person was me.
My parents were happy for me to be out all day.They wouldn't be worried.
I can't say the same.I know that I wouldn't be too happy for my son to go off on a full days bike ride!!

Diane

How things have changed!!
Old May 21st 2003, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paulf
Some people never grow up and still do, allegedly

Where you hoping to emigrate to Paul?
Old May 21st 2003, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
DOH

Enjoyed reading those, I was chatting to a guy the other day who remembered steam trains and was saying how his grand kids can't think that at one time mobiles and computers did'nt excist, and don't know what a 45 was. Its a funny old world.
I sound like my mother
Dont you hate it when that happens. !! I said somthing the other day and thought geez I sound like my Dad. :scared:
One of us always seemed to get a puncture
and always miles from home. !

Last edited by karawara88; May 21st 2003 at 12:47 pm.
Old May 21st 2003, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad most people enjoyed the thread I didn't post it to compare now with then it just made me smile brought back loads of good memories.

Tori

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.