Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorry if already asked. How much to convert TV's to Ozzie compatible?

Sorry if already asked. How much to convert TV's to Ozzie compatible?

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 3:34 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry if already asked. How much to convert TV's to Ozzie compatible?

What's the ball-park figure to convert a UK telly to be fully compliant with Oz?
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry if already asked. How much to convert TV's to Ozzie compatible?

Originally posted by Sausage
What's the ball-park figure to convert a UK telly to be fully compliant with Oz?
'ello sausage! (how come I always reply to your posts!!)
We paid about $70 to convert the big Sony TV - it still didn't work afterwards so we had to buy an Oz video to run it thru.

I don't think there are any guarantees that TVs will convert - ours wasn't that old, and being a Sony we'd assumed it would be ok. But I know a few people who have successfully converted theirs.

I dont know how you find out which ones will convert and which won't. Sorry if that's not too helpful!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 3:50 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

Hehe, u do reply to mine, don't u? hehe

No, that's useful info. $70 doesn't seem so bad, as long as it works

I'll try to search for Melbourne companies that do it and see if there's a list of compatible models.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:37 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sorry if already asked. How much to convert TV's to Ozzie compatible?

S
if you do find out can you e mail me and let me know as I am in the same boat mine is a sony ...model KV32FX60U if that helps and you find a site.

many thanks
Gary and Terri
Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Ours is a Sony too - will get the model number later & post it on here - if anyone has the same one we could get some answers!

cheers
pockygoes
Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

The conversion from one system to another depends on a few things. UK RSA AUS all use PAL.
USA NTSC or French SECAM.
Some new sets can do all these, some not.

Most modern TV sets have a setting for sound on the remote. It is labeled SYSTEM I in RSA, but Oz uses B/G. If your TV has this, it is likely it SHOULD work with no modification. (apart from changing this setting).
FOR OLDER SETS
If your TV has a Video sound spacing of 6 MHz, like in South Africa, then you need new IF crystals. Some manufactureres will sell a kit. You probably can buy this in the UK and take it with the TV and have it installed.
Cant help with the price. Not yet anyway.