Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorry another one about baggage allowance

Sorry another one about baggage allowance

Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry another one about baggage allowance

Well our tickets arrived today but they still only have 20kg baggage allowance on it. I've sent them copies of the visa and am probably being overly cautious but I don't want to be stood at check-in having to decide which half of our luggage we don't want to take.
Any advice guys??

Claire
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sorry another one about baggage allowance

Originally posted by claireg3
Well our tickets arrived today but they still only have 20kg baggage allowance on it. I've sent them copies of the visa and am probably being overly cautious but I don't want to be stood at check-in having to decide which half of our luggage we don't want to take.
Any advice guys??

Claire

someone mentioned the other day, that they had e mailed airline and took the copy of reply with them to heathrow, proving migrants allowance......think they went with singapore, maybe worth e mail airline to get confirmation to save any unnecessary hassles
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:11 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sorry another one about baggage allowance

Hi claireg3,
that could be alot of bikini's then.

Get in touch with your carier and get them to put something in writing.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

nicky s is an unknown quantity at this point

They put 20kg on the ticket but recently when I travelled back from UK to Oz my luggage weight was 30kg and they didn`t say a thing. If you have a look on the conveyor belt where you put in your luggage on international flights it actually says max 30kg. Last year my luggage was 35kg and they gave me a box to put 5kg of my belongings in and put it on the flight free of charge.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 1:55 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi..
we flew with malaysian and they allow 30 kg actually, even though they dont officially advertise double baggage allowance any more.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

we flew with emirates and phoned the airline and took the name of the person we spoke to and when we got to heathrow all was ok our luggage was 89kg for two people and they didnt say a thing but they were strict on the hand luggage not weighing more than 7.5kg

the thing was we were staying in dubai for 5 nights before we went on to perth

thats when the problems started

our luggage had some how grown to 93kgs

the teller at dubai airport said that we were not allowed 40kg each we were only allowed 20kg........ we were shocked :scared:
after along argument we got it up to 30kgs but was still looking at £600 worth of excess baggage

we argued it out for about 30min and got it up to 40kgs each

so we were only going to be liable for the excess of 13kg

then the teller said ill tell you what ill only charge you for 5kg which cost us £60

so what was all that about

i just think they like to haggle

Last edited by bussie; Nov 30th 2003 at 2:49 am.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough

We flew with Singapore airlines, we had the double baggage allowance on our ticket. It just says "Migrant visa, sighted visa" on it.

We meticulously weighed our bags before we got to Manchester airport (we had 9 suitcases) so we weren't caught out. Individually the suitcases can't be over 32 kilos each. One of ours was 33 (which we knew but didn't think they would bother too much) but they made us empty the case out in front of everyone - you wouldn't believe how stressful and embarassing that was!! We argued plenty but she said basically the baggage handlers would leave it on the tarmac!! All the other bags were up to the limit too so we took the PS2 as hand luggage as if we didn't have enough to carry already. It was awful but I guess had to be done......
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Claire, phone the customer service department for the airline (not the agent), and ask them to check your actual booking reference on their computer and see whether you have been granted excess baggage (if you are flying from a local airport, go to the service desk there, they can check it for you). Explain to them that you need to confirm it to avoid problems at check-in! Its the amount on the computer that they go by, not the amount on the ticket.
I flew Cathay, and had to speak direct to Customer Services, then wrote to them direct with a copy of the visa.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 12:46 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

[/QUOTE] .... took the PS2 as hand luggage as if we didn't have enough to carry already. It was awful but I guess had to be done...... [/QUOTE]

Gibson....just wondering how many bags you took on the plane as hand luggage then? There are three of us travelling but we have four bags between us due to cameras, laptop and nappies.... Wondering if they will allow us to take this all as hand luggage....can you help?
Old Nov 30th 2003, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We've e-mailed singapore airlines to ask them to put the extra baggage allowance in writing and they've agreed to do this though we havn't received it yet. They havn't asked to see our visas (yet???)
Old Nov 30th 2003, 3:55 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
We've e-mailed singapore airlines to ask them to put the extra baggage allowance in writing and they've agreed to do this though we havn't received it yet. They havn't asked to see our visas (yet???)
They seem to be a bit mixed up on this. I phoned them and they told me to fax a copy of the visas to them, which I did. I then got a letter from them saying that the fax wasn't clear, but as long as it said 'MIG' on the visa and permitted to stay indefinitely then we would be fine. I then phoned them and they said we would be fine, but after reading some of the comments on here, I've sent them a letter with a copy of the visas. I'm also planning to take the letter I've got with me to the airport. They just use agents at Heathrow, so I think its best to be sure.

Jane
Old Nov 30th 2003, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

here's a copy of the e-mail I got from Singapore airlines

Subj: migrant baggage allowance
Date: 01/11/2003 16:07:42 GMT Standard Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Mr Ross,

You will be allowed double baggage allowance of 40kgs if you are holding a migrant visa that hasn't been stamped before. The visa must have the words "mig" on it and state that you may "remain in Australia indefinately". We do not have to sight the visas beforehand but you will need to show them at check in,

Kind regards,

Lena
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Rossi
here's a copy of the e-mail I got from Singapore airlines

Subj: migrant baggage allowance
Date: 01/11/2003 16:07:42 GMT Standard Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Mr Ross,

You will be allowed double baggage allowance of 40kgs if you are holding a migrant visa that hasn't been stamped before. The visa must have the words "mig" on it and state that you may "remain in Australia indefinately". We do not have to sight the visas beforehand but you will need to show them at check in,

Kind regards,

Lena

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

This will really stuff us up - we will have validated our visas in March. Anyone managed to get the extra baggage allowance with Singapore on a later flight if its a one way ???

:scared:
Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You could try writing to them and explaining the validation trip thing, and saying that THIs is your actual emigration, owing to circumstances that meant you couldn't go before, and mention the one way tickets. Worth a try.

I had trouble with mine cos Pros Spouse isn't a permanent visa (or even a residence visa) but you have to be in Oz to get residence granted, so I had to write to Cathay and explain it all - that worked. I just said this IS an emigration & sent them all the details, stating I couldn't get residence till I was over here.
If you are persistent enough you MIGHT get it - play on their heart strings for reasons why you couldn't actually emigrate when you validated!
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:39 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi,

We're validating our visas in February.

I've had an e-mail conversation with Singapore Airlines about the extra baggage allowance, the lady says I just need to contact her when I've booked my tickets for the migration flight and she'll make sure I get the extra allowance.

I kicked it off by e-mailing through the Singapore Airlines website - try that, you should be ok.

Elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.