British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sorry another areas thread...Annandale .Marrickville, Summer Hill, Stanm (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sorry-another-areas-thread-annandale-marrickville-summer-hill-stanm-546167/)

plantpot Jul 1st 2008 4:17 am

Sorry another areas thread...Annandale .Marrickville, Summer Hill, Stanm

Marrickville, Summer Hill, Stanmore, Petersham, Dulwich Hill....anyone live/d there, what did you think?

I have heard it has 'Nice cycle paths and parks along the Cooks River (Marrickville through to Botany). Public transport is good, main roads have buses and there are train stations in most of the above mentioned suburbs and a nice golf course nearby....

What says you...

PS a huge thanks for all who have replied to previous posts about living places....

PP x

NickyC Jul 1st 2008 11:59 am

Re: Sorry another areas thread...Annandale .Marrickville, Summer Hill, Stanm

Marrickville is a bit flaky, to be honest.

A few years ago it was out and out ethnic (mainly Lebanese, Greek and Vietnamese). Nowadays it's heading towards being cool and alternative (like Newtown, next door) but it's not quite got there yet.

Seems to be full of cheap, ethnic restaurants and cheap fabric stores. Cooks River is nothing to write home about - last time I saw it, it was polluted and grim. They may have cleaned it up since I was last there, though. It also floods sometimes. :ohmy:

Annandale is nice. Almost all the suburbs in that list suffer from aircraft noise because they're under the main flight path, so be very wary...

plantpot Jul 1st 2008 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 6522383)
Marrickville is a bit flaky, to be honest.

A few years ago it was out and out ethnic (mainly Lebanese, Greek and Vietnamese). Nowadays it's heading towards being cool and alternative (like Newtown, next door) but it's not quite got there yet.

Seems to be full of cheap, ethnic restaurants and cheap fabric stores. Cooks River is nothing to write home about - last time I saw it, it was polluted and grim. They may have cleaned it up since I was last there, though. It also floods sometimes. :ohmy:

Annandale is nice. Almost all the suburbs in that list suffer from aircraft noise because they're under the main flight path, so be very wary...

Thanks Nicky you are a star...where do you live? (just bein nosy)

PP xx

NickyC Jul 2nd 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by plantpot (Post 6522432)
Thanks Nicky you are a star...where do you live? (just bein nosy)

PP xx

I've been here a long time and have mostly lived in the eastern suburbs - apart from brief forays to Balmain, Bexley and Canberra in the 1980's.

We've been in Coogee for 15 years but before that we lived in Bronte. Both are great suburbs but unfortunately very expensive to buy into these days. :)