Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

soooo homesick have i made the right decision

soooo homesick have i made the right decision

Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Jill R is a jewel in the roughJill R is a jewel in the roughJill R is a jewel in the roughJill R is a jewel in the roughJill R is a jewel in the rough
Default soooo homesick have i made the right decision

jhkjlhho;jkjhh;bkjhkhoh/

moved to brisbane from the uk 5 weeks ago, husband working, two daughters in schools they love, living in the city and moving to manly in three weeks time into a townhouse. But i am so homesick missing my family and friends and very lonely, i have a teenager nearly 15 and she was a real problem back home, so one of the biggest reasons for coming here, was to get away from the youth culture there. i constantly think what am i doing here we have rented out (our house and our furniture is on the way) sold our car, packed my job in! and feel that ive left my life behind, miss my best mate so much i cant seem to see an end to my unhappiness!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: soooo homesick have i made the right decision

Poor you, I completely understand how you feel. I've been here about 7 weeks and am feeling the same way this week. This is the second week in our rental and our container arrives next Tuesday so I'm hoping that having familiar things around will help to get through this feeling sorry for myself stage. My teenage son has had a virus as well, so I,m worried about him as he seems abit depressed.
Keep your chin up, it's a pity I'm in Melbourne, but feel free to PM if you want to chat.
Sue
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:11 am
Sydney

kkenney is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: soooo homesick have i made the right decision

Hi,

I arrived in Sydney 6 weeks ago with my partner. We've sorted out a flat but no work as yet, hoping this won't take too long.

Do you have Skype/webcam? I speak to my Mum & Dad a couple of times a week and it's fantastic, much better than speaking on the phone. My partners sister has lived in Oz for 7 years and 2 years ago got so homesick it nearly ended her marriage. As soon as she got Skype the homesickness went.

It's early days ladies and what we've done is HUGE, stick on in there, I'm sure it will turn out just as you wanted.

Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:12 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jill R
jhkjlhho;jkjhh;bkjhkhoh/

moved to brisbane from the uk 5 weeks ago, husband working, two daughters in schools they love, living in the city and moving to manly in three weeks time into a townhouse. But i am so homesick missing my family and friends and very lonely, i have a teenager nearly 15 and she was a real problem back home, so one of the biggest reasons for coming here, was to get away from the youth culture there. i constantly think what am i doing here we have rented out (our house and our furniture is on the way) sold our car, packed my job in! and feel that ive left my life behind, miss my best mate so much i cant seem to see an end to my unhappiness!
We have been here about 12 weeks now. I'm not really homesick, but have the odd moment. The other day I was having a pretty good day, loving where we live, then a song comes on that reminds me of my best mate, all of a sudden I am in tears, and cant stop for the rest of the day. It just suddenly hits you like that. I find I have to keep busy when that happens, otherwise I stew and make myself feel worse.

Our stuff arrived last week and it is so nice to have all my things around me. Its the familiar things you take comfort in when everything is changing.

Do you work? Might be an idea if you dont. It doesn't have to be much, just something to keep your mind occupied and help you meet people.

Chin up, you have realised a dream, not many people get to do that.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:25 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: soooo homesick have i made the right decision

Hi

I have been here 10 weeks today and I feel not too bad really, it is really common to feel homesick though for people and the familiarity you had around you, Its a little like someone has taken away your security blanket and you cant find it !!! does that make sense ??? I am very positive though and I do quite like the fact that we can take the kids to the beach whenever we want and we don't need a second mortgage to do it , our lifestyle is changing definitely for the better...... we have just purchased bikes so we can ride to school with the kids I am not sure where you are but if you want to chat pm me and I will give you my number, we are living on the Gold coast, kids are at school... hubby starts work next week so I will be looking for something to do with my time, thinking of re-training..... If you are not too far maybe we could meet up for a coffee or something .... try to look forward and make plans ... it should help I hope

Jane
xx
Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:15 am
Just Joined

michelle005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jill, i have been here 2 and a half years and went through the homesickness stage not long ago..it does pass you have to keep reminding yourself why you came! I am on the gold coast if you would like to meet for a coffee and chat sometime. Be positive and try to keep busy.
michelle
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Keep your chin up and good luck.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

jhkjlhho;jkjhh;bkjhkhoh/

You poor thing - really feel for you. I went through something similar in the first few weeks. I agree with some of the others though - keeping busy really is the key. Sundays were the worst for me. In the days before I started working, I tried to plan it that we were busy every Sunday. I felt if I could get through that day, I could get through the rest of the week without crying...! Now I'm working, I love Sundays... Been here 6 months now and none the worse for the experience. It does get better, really. When people on here who live near to you offer to meet for a coffee/drink on a chat, the offers are genuine from people who know what you're going through so try and take them up on it, it really does help. I've made friends around the GC in the last few months that I know will be life long - I think its the common bond that helps in the beginning, but then you just go on from there. Best of luck, Gill, and remember you're not alone... Michelle xxxx
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:21 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

jhkjlhho;jkjhh;bkjhkhoh/

Hi,

Know exactly what you mean. We've been here for about 3 months and I have been sooooooooooooo homesick. I thought I was 100% prepared for this move but it's hit me so hard. It has gotten a bit easier and the kids are settling a bit better. I must admit it's better now than it was at five weeks. Just keep going and keep posting. This place has done wonders for me in keeping me sane. Hopefully you'll like Manly. We think it's a good place.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:03 pm
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

jhkjlhho;jkjhh;bkjhkhoh/

Hi there,

We've been here 8 months now and I had a rough time initially, it seemed to affect me more than my husband. Kids were no problem at all and settled really well. I feel great now though, infact I can't believe how settled I feel. I've got a few friends and have been doing things that I wouldn't have done back home.....started an art class, doing bellydancing...and yoga!!!

In my experience the real downers just seem to go without you even noticing. It just occured to me one day that I'd felt good for quite a while. I still have a bad day now and again but it's more normal now just like a bad day back home. I remember when I was really struggling I used to want to go to bed/sleep so I could get away from feeling so cr&p!!!

Hang on in there, Sandra
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

jhkjlhho;jkjhh;bkjhkhoh/

Thats crappy. In all fairness though, you really need to try and pull yourself up by your shoelaces and really try to get 'out there'. It could mean a whole different world for you.
I'm not belittling your homesickness for a second - you feel what you feel and its a crap thing to be going through but you need to make it clearer for yourself, if that makes sense.
So get out there, visit places, try and meet people, familiarise yourself with 'stuff' - supermarket foods, dealing with dollars and cents, talking to aussies, try joining a club, get a hobby, a sport, help at the local school, volunteer with the local oldies, absorb yourself in making your rental more like a 'home' than a 'house', get involved in your kids schooling, meet your partners workmates and their spouses, see if theres anyone else on here in bris you can meet up with for a coffee, throw a BBQ with anyone new you meet (not the supermarket checkout chick but new aquaintences), ring tupperware and arrange a part and invite those new aquaintances, etc etc
None of this will take away your homesickness but some familiarlarity/company/focus will help you to become more settled.
Its not easy but you need to do some of those things (or whatever you think might do the trick) before you get really, really low. Its a long way up when you're a long way down, mate.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:52 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

I spent 2yrs feeling homesick and now we're back in the UK and reminded of all the reasons we left (which we seemed to forget in Oz) and now can't wait to get back again.

Try to stick it out it's early days yet - it will get better with time.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:10 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

It must be tough, remember to get outside and remind yourself of how small you are. Go watch the sea, get out and see some scenery. Big spaces often put problems in perspective.

Try not to sit inside four walls dwelling on problems.

Hang in there!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:53 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

don't know what to say other than I hope you feel better soon,

a few people have asked you out for a coffee, grab the opportuntity. a problem shared is a problem halved, or say they say!!!

hope you feel better soon
bec+egg
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:39 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

jhkjlhho;jkjhh;bkjhkhoh/

Its early days yet, you're bound to miss the things you know and love. I hope it passes for you soon. Hope you feel better once your things arrive, perhaps try and find a job or some hobby that will help you meet new people.

Best wishes ( I will probably feel the same if/when we eventually get to Oz)
Hugs
Joex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.