British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sooo coooold in Perth-advice please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sooo-coooold-perth-advice-please-798684/)

ShoreyM May 31st 2013 8:37 am

Sooo coooold in Perth-advice please

Advice please. It's down to about 2 degrees at the moment and after saying we'll just have to rug up and wear an extra jumper, I've finally given in and am considering heating. We have a wall mounted split system but am petrified of using it after hearing some of the utility bills. Do you have it? How much does it cost ? Is gas better? Thanks in advance

Alfresco May 31st 2013 8:50 am

Re: Sooo coooold in Perth-advice please

I have a few convection/oil heaters on thermostat. Not that cold here yet, but my room is cozy.

I obviously keep the door and windows closed as much as possible to keep the warmth in.

Is the system you have aircon? We have those but don't use them unless its really cold just to warm the house up a bit.

renth May 31st 2013 9:02 am

We use a pair of gas heaters. Cheaper than electricity.

bobbyftm May 31st 2013 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 10733946)
I have a few convection/oil heaters on thermostat. Not that cold here yet, but my room is cozy.

I obviously keep the door and windows closed as much as possible to keep the warmth in.

Is the system you have aircon? We have those but don't use them unless its really cold just to warm the house up a bit.

Even more so after todays hike !:eek:

Alfresco May 31st 2013 9:39 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 10733967)
Even more so after todays hike !:eek:

Ignorance is bliss! ;)

brits1 May 31st 2013 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ShoreyM (Post 10733934)
Advice please. It's down to about 2 degrees at the moment and after saying we'll just have to rug up and wear an extra jumper, I've finally given in and am considering heating. We have a wall mounted split system but am petrified of using it after hearing some of the utility bills. Do you have it? How much does it cost ? Is gas better? Thanks in advance

We had a few homes in Perth and tried all manner of heating, I think the best was a wood burner, just from the cost, we hated heating via our Air Con and it was expensive, tried expensive gas heaters, what worked for us was hotwater bottles in the beds:eek: and blankets when sat watching the tv (amazing how many people did this) we also had those electric heating lights in the bathrooms. After a few years you do get use to it though:thumbup:

roaringmouse May 31st 2013 7:14 pm

Just take a teaspoon of cement and harden up! :D

Alfresco May 31st 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 10734750)
Just take a teaspoon of cement and harden up! :D

:D

Might take more than a teaspoon! ;)

neil248 Jun 2nd 2013 7:31 am

2 yrs of tv blankies and we got a wood burner

very nice heat from a wood burner, make sure it has a fan

spouse of scouse Jun 2nd 2013 12:58 pm

The heat in Perth will kill you before the cold does, if that's any consolation.... We have pretty good roof insulation, so just use a 25mj (or something like that) gas room heater for the big living/dining/kitchen area, and don't hang about before jumping into an icy cold bed :-) A small thing you can do, but quite effective to keep the heat in, is draw your curtains, it's amazing how much cold gets in through big expanses of glass.

As an aside, I'd never even heard of double glazing before visiting the UK - it's so effective that I wondered why it isn't used more in Australia. Then I checked out the cost!

Organicised Jun 2nd 2013 1:15 pm

Reverse Cycle is about 30% cheaper than gas.

h2oskineil Jun 2nd 2013 3:46 pm

Welcome to the Australian (Perth) winter! :)
We have been here nearly 8 years and im sorry to tell you, it doesn't get any warmer in the winter. With windows you wouldn't put in a European green house, the houses are so cold in winter, the good news is it will soon start to warm up and when it hit 40 degrees, you'll be saying then it's sooo hot in Perth.... Lol.

We bought (this week) an electric blanket for the sofa. It a big fluffy throw that goes over the sofa and you plug it in, loooovly! We have electric blankets on the beds and that's about it. Got it from Kmart, I think it was $40. Certainly makes watching TV more enjoyable.

Last winter our friends lent us a gas heater, which was good in the area your were sitting, but with no double glazing and insulation (plus larger living areas) the rest of the house remained cold. They are about $1000.00 which I always thought was expensive for a heater.

I think if you want to avoid larger fuel bills, an extra jumper will be the best option, plus socks, woolly hat, gloves.

renth Jun 3rd 2013 12:17 am

Originally Posted by h2oskineil (Post 10737053)
Last winter our friends lent us a gas heater, which was good in the area your were sitting, but with no double glazing and insulation (plus larger living areas) the rest of the house remained cold. They are about $1000.00 which I always thought was expensive for a heater.

We've got 2 gas heaters. One from Cash Converters and one found on the roadside during bulk refuse collection!

irishbloo Jun 3rd 2013 2:19 am

Originally Posted by h2oskineil (Post 10737053)
Welcome to the Australian (Perth) winter! :)
We have been here nearly 8 years and im sorry to tell you, it doesn't get any warmer in the winter. With windows you wouldn't put in a European green house, the houses are so cold in winter, the good news is it will soon start to warm up and when it hit 40 degrees, you'll be saying then it's sooo hot in Perth.... Lol.

We bought (this week) an electric blanket for the sofa. It a big fluffy throw that goes over the sofa and you plug it in, loooovly! We have electric blankets on the beds and that's about it. Got it from Kmart, I think it was $40. Certainly makes watching TV more enjoyable.

I think if you want to avoid larger fuel bills, an extra jumper will be the best option, plus socks, woolly hat, gloves.

An electric blanket on the sofa is a good idea.:thumbsup:

spuddyo Jun 3rd 2013 4:58 am

Central Heating Anyone ? I reckon there's a market for it here, even if it only gets used for 4 months a year. If you could purchase radiaors and boilers as easy as you can in England, it would be the way of the future here !

Surely someone must have thought about it before now.