Wikiposts

soo frustrated

Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:17 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default soo frustrated

Hi Guys and Gals,

Have (spouce) visa
have no money

Plan is to stay here and save money and go in 18 months but I have lost the will to carry on here, sit at my desk all day long doing nothing, cant be bothered with anything anymore and feel like i'm stuck here because we dont have any money.

Would I be a complete idiot to just go, whats the difference between being here with no money and being there with no money?

Anyone gone with no money and been ok?

AGHHHHHHHHHH I just don't know what to do and it is driving me mad.

Kala
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:19 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: soo frustrated

Originally posted by kala
Hi Guys and Gals,

Have (spouce) visa
have no money

Plan is to stay here and save money and go in 18 months but I have lost the will to carry on here, sit at my desk all day long doing nothing, cant be bothered with anything anymore and feel like i'm stuck here because we dont have any money.

Would I be a complete idiot to just go, whats the difference between being here with no money and being there with no money?

Kala
Go on, go!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Hi Guys and Gals,

Have (spouce) visa
have no money

Kala
Kala

I know how you feel. However you have to make this decision with your head.
The difference between being here without money and Aus is that you, (I'm assuming), are entitled to benefits in the UK. Australia won't give give you much help in that respect!

If you're just talking about lack of money even though you have a job, at least you have a job here. You need some money once you arrive in Aus!!

It all depends on the sort of person you are. If you and your partner can survive on your own in Australia, then do it. But consider you would be better planning the move rather than rushing into it.

All the best with the decision. Hope all works out OK.

Sorry it's such a sensible reply

Best Wishes
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go - be happy - money is not everything!!!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by jana1
Go - be happy - money is not everything!!!
Money is not everything, I agree. But as for being happy without any? I don't think so.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Kala

Why 18 months? Could you reduce the time?
Make cuts in costly areas? Things you dont really need, maybe loans from family members? Agree a pay back scheme?

Maybe apply for different roles in UK? Slight change of career might take mind off things. Also some kind of change in your life, Gym/new Hobbie/Work on house so you forget about moving?

Not sure really, am slightly in same boat but would be prepared to go at end of the month. Its difficult cause you live in one place & your mind is other side of the world. Yet you are surrounded by people who are living day to day with no ambitions like yourself.

When you get down think that maybe. Personally that how I have done it. I left Oz 13 months ago never wanting to leave, it was tough. Lost my job there, comp went under. Lost my visa. Lost a relationship. Had to start again in UK with the knowledge that will take ages to get back over. 2 years.

Just kept thinking, enjoy whats here now for couple of years, family good points of UK & when the time comes just go for it 100%.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

....Forgot to say, why not do a TEFL teaching course?

Would that be an option? I knew a friend who did this in Sydney & was paid $30 per hour. Got work straight away. Not sure about smaller cities.

Its a weekend course in UK for £195. Potential opening for short term work. Might even enjoy it!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Guys and Gals,

Have (spouce) visa
have no money

Kala
Hiya Kala
Try to be positive. It might not be a good start for you if you go without any money in your pocket.
You need to think long and hard about this.

What does him indoors say?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

I'm all for going!!!
Sometimes things are a risk, might work out better, might not but I'd give it a whirl if you're unhappy here anyway.
Best of luck
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:17 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Dmartyos
....Forgot to say, why not do a TEFL teaching course?

Would that be an option? I knew a friend who did this in Sydney & was paid $30 per hour. Got work straight away. Not sure about smaller cities.

Its a weekend course in UK for £195. Potential opening for short term work. Might even enjoy it!

Just about to leave work, Have thought about this loads, have done nothing but think about it for well over a year, the plan has always be to get out of debt (which we will be when I have given my mum £2000 that I owe her, I can do this in 2 months) but I applied for the visa so I dcold validate on a holiday we are taking in aug to a frineds wedding, but now I have the visa it really is getting to me.

What is a TEFL teaching course?

Cheers for all your replies all very helpfull and and greatly appreciated.

Will let you all know final decission
Thanks
Kala
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:30 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

You are not the only ones with a long wait - it will be a total of over 3yrs between skills assessment being sent off and us setting foot in Oz as PRs.

It is our choice to delay, whilst not skint we should be in a lot better financial position to stay in UK until end of 2005. Our preference would be to go in Feb 2006, as accomo getting a job should be easier than the few months before Xmas.

The other reason when we first applied there were several who had been waiting 2 yrs to hear from DIMIA and that added to the uncertainty of how long the process would take and we did not want to wait that long to start a family, which in the end has worked out well with the timing to delay our medicals until baby is born and avoiding a validation trip.

Whilst we feel part of our life has been put on hold (won't buy that, not worth moving to a bigger house here etc) there has come certainty of when things will happen so we (and our family/friends) can enjoy the time we are on this side of the planet.

I know money is not everything, but we want to ensure that it will not be an issue for things not working out in Oz. All the best in whatever you decide to do.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:05 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walaj
You are not the only ones with a long wait - it will be a total of over 3yrs between skills assessment being sent off and us setting foot in Oz as PRs.

It is our choice to delay, whilst not skint we should be in a lot better financial position to stay in UK until end of 2005. Our preference would be to go in Feb 2006, as accomo getting a job should be easier than the few months before Xmas.

The other reason when we first applied there were several who had been waiting 2 yrs to hear from DIMIA and that added to the uncertainty of how long the process would take and we did not want to wait that long to start a family, which in the end has worked out well with the timing to delay our medicals until baby is born and avoiding a validation trip.

Whilst we feel part of our life has been put on hold (won't buy that, not worth moving to a bigger house here etc) there has come certainty of when things will happen so we (and our family/friends) can enjoy the time we are on this side of the planet.

I know money is not everything, but we want to ensure that it will not be an issue for things not working out in Oz. All the best in whatever you decide to do.

I only comparison I can call upon from personal experience is when I arrived here in the UK....

I had £140 to my name and no visa to work...I knew I qualified for an Ancestry visa...but that takes time....Luckily, the friend that I was staying with was in a position to cover some of my expenses until the visa was granted (6 weeks from wo to go) and then just another 3 weeks before I started work. But if I didnt have my friend...I cant even imagine how tough it would have been. I assume you would have a little more money than I did...but...

Having read alot of the threads posted on here about how much of a struggle it was when people first arrived in Oz...with money....I guess I would be wondering just how much more stressful it would all be....without money....

If you think you could handle it....go for it....but I would think hard before I made that kind of decision...

Good luck whichever way you go....
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:14 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Just about to leave work, Have thought about this loads, have done nothing but think about it for well over a year, the plan has always be to get out of debt (which we will be when I have given my mum £2000 that I owe her, I can do this in 2 months) but I applied for the visa so I dcold validate on a holiday we are taking in aug to a frineds wedding, but now I have the visa it really is getting to me.

What is a TEFL teaching course?

Cheers for all your replies all very helpfull and and greatly appreciated.

Will let you all know final decission
Thanks
Kala

Hey there

TEFL is - Teaching English as a Foreign Language (exactly as it sounds!) A friend of mine has done it in Japan for the past two years and had a great time with the kids over there. I also know a mum of a friend here who does it in the local college, has about half a dozen students (most of them are partners of people working over here, like Doctors etc) who she teaches and has a great time. Guess it depends on whether teaching is your thing or not!!!

You already know my opinion on the waiting thingy - the only thing I would add to that, is that I don't have as much money as I'd like to go over there, we did look into the possibility of me staying here a couple more months just to get some extra but didnt want to spend even longer apart. Certainly having money does help, but I think as long's you're not going with absolutely nothing you should be okay. I owe my Dad too, have a monthly STO set up to pay him off

You'll make the right decision in the end I'm sure.

Michelle

Last edited by mlbonner; Jul 13th 2004 at 4:16 am.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:15 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Here's some more info http://www.tefl.co.uk/
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:54 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by mlbonner
Here's some more info http://www.tefl.co.uk/
Thanks again guys, This forum really comesi nto itself when you need a bit of support.

Huge thanks to my angel (michelle) again, I have enrolled on the TEFL course for the end of July

Cheers
Kala

Last edited by kala; Jul 13th 2004 at 4:59 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.