Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sony PSP in Singapore

Sony PSP in Singapore

Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:22 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Sony PSP in Singapore

Anyone know if I will get a PSP cheaper in Singapore than here?
Is it like Hong Kong where electrical stuff is quite cheap.
Also how far from the airport are the decent shops.....is a stopover required?

I have been to Singapore airport and bought bits and pieces but I assume the normal shops are cheaper still.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:43 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sony PSP in Singapore

Originally Posted by pompeywill

I have been to Singapore airport and bought bits and pieces but I assume the normal shops are cheaper still.
Carefull about buying electrical stuff in Singapore or anywhere then wanting to use it in Australia, we have had nothing but bad luck with purchases from Singapore. We had a Samsung MP3 player which never worked from day 1, returning it so Samsung in Australia has resulted in absolutely nothing. The don't want to know and told us to take it back to where we bought it from!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:36 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

The airport is expensive, and not the best place to buy anything ( except your duty free booze and cigs that is)

Unless you know what you're doing ( Haggling and know your costs) and have the time to play one shop against another in the haggling/price war it's really pointless me pointing you to the cheapest shops.

But if you want a fixed "cheapish" price, no hassle with time walking around shop to shop haggling for the cheapest deal ( but will be say a few dollars more than going to the shops where you can haggle ,so it will not be the cheapest by any means , but still cheaper for a lot of things than here in Aus) go to Mustafa's - it takes around 20 minutes in the taxi from the airport. There's a good North Indian curry shop , opposite, down the road bit ( from the old part of Mustafa's centre) by the way - settles your stomach after the sh*te plane food .

Just time your flights, an overnight stop is not required, but I'd recommend it , so there is no rush, and you can have a couple hours nap , shower etc too- book into the transport hotel in the airport ( not expensive) , leave your stuff in the room (pretty safe) and the go out into Singapore.

For warranties you can international ones.

As for nothing but trouble, not the case with anything I've bought In Singapore. I used to live In Singapore for years before I came here into Aus and all of my then electrical stuff initially was bought over In Singapore of course.. Today; we always stop off to still buy electrical goods and anything else when travelling. Never had any trouble myself.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 18th 2005 at 6:20 am.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

They are about 40 aud cheaper than here, although you won't be able to play the movies that are released in Aus. I promised my Son one on our recent trip, It was the Movie factor that stop me purchasing.

Wait a year, they will be about 50-80 Aud cheaper than the opening price of 399 aud in our local newspapers. BTW the release date here is sept 1st.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:10 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
They are about 40 aud cheaper than here, although you won't be able to play the movies that are released in Aus. I promised my Son one on our recent trip, It was the Movie factor that stop me purchasing.

Wait a year, they will be about 50-80 Aud cheaper than the opening price of 399 aud in our local newspapers. BTW the release date here is sept 1st.
Thats interesting, I thought they were region free, thats why I want one.
The American ones are region 1, European are region 2. But I read that the Asian models are region free and have better quality screens. (this is for movies of course)

Also if you buy a large memory stick, say a gig, you can download all the movies, games etc for free, now it has beem cracked.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ceri
The airport is expensive, and not the best place to buy anything ( except your duty free booze and cigs that is)

Unless you know what you're doing ( Haggling and know your costs) and have the time to play one shop against another in the haggling/price war it's really pointless me pointing you to the cheapest shops.

But if you want a fixed "cheapish" price, no hassle with time walking around shop to shop haggling for the cheapest deal ( but will be say a few dollars more than going to the shops where you can haggle ,so it will not be the cheapest by any means , but still cheaper for a lot of things than here in Aus) go to Mustafa's - it takes around 20 minutes in the taxi from the airport. There's a good North Indian curry shop , opposite, down the road bit ( from the old part of Mustafa's centre) by the way - settles your stomach after the sh*te plane food .

Just time your flights, an overnight stop is not required, but I'd recommend it , so there is no rush, and you can have a couple hours nap , shower etc too- book into the transport hotel in the airport ( not expensive) , leave your stuff in the room (pretty safe) and the go out into Singapore.

For warranties you can international ones.

As for nothing but trouble, not the case with anything I've bought In Singapore. I used to live In Singapore for years before I came here into Aus and all of my then electrical stuff initially was bought over In Singapore of course.. Today; we always stop off to still buy electrical goods and anything else when travelling. Never had any trouble myself.

cheers
thx Ceri, handy info.
We may do a 2 night stopover and take in Singapore zoo, I heard its pretty fantastic.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thats interesting, I thought they were region free, thats why I want one.
The American ones are region 1, European are region 2. But I read that the Asian models are region free and have better quality screens. (this is for movies of course)

Also if you buy a large memory stick, say a gig, you can download all the movies, games etc for free, now it has beem cracked.
All the PsP's have regions on them, I thought until i went to purchase, that Asia and Australiasia were the same region, but Australiasia is bundled in with the South Americans. You can have the PsP chipped apparently, but that would render any warranty useless.

The only memory stick one can use with a PsP, is the sony version, which are unbeliveably expensive, that one gig stick will cost you more than the PsP.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:47 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

All the PsP's have regions on them, I thought until i went to purchase, that Asia and Australiasia were the same region, but Australiasia is bundled in with the South Americans. You can have the PsP chipped apparently, but that would render any warranty useless.

The only memory stick one can use with a PsP, is the sony version, which are unbeliveably expensive, that one gig stick will cost you more than the PsP.
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_10502.html

My son who is more into these things told me that the PSPs were region free, although whether that referred only to the games or the films, I don't know.

Very impressed with the PSP though, Sony have taken handheld gaming to a completely different level.

Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Covenant
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_10502.html

My son who is more into these things told me that the PSPs were region free, although whether that referred only to the games or the films, I don't know.

Very impressed with the PSP though, Sony have taken handheld gaming to a completely different level.

Good luck.

The games are however it's the movies that are protected.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:32 pm
Banned

The memory sticks are very expensive, but I did a search on Ebay and they go for £30-£40.
Trouble is they are shipped from Hong Kong and the postage is expensive.
So....I got to thinking maybe I could pick up something similar in Singapore. I know its not Hong Kong, hence why Im asking on here.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 9:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

thx Ceri, handy info.
We may do a 2 night stopover and take in Singapore zoo, I heard its pretty fantastic.
The Funan IT mall is great. 7 floors of hi tech heaven!. Anything to do with computing, gaming, gadgets etc is sold here. Saved about £30 on a camcorder. You can even get the sales tax refunded at customer services on the ground floor (saves doing it at the airport).
Old Aug 18th 2005, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The memory sticks are very expensive, but I did a search on Ebay and they go for £30-£40.
Trouble is they are shipped from Hong Kong and the postage is expensive.
So....I got to thinking maybe I could pick up something similar in Singapore. I know its not Hong Kong, hence why Im asking on here.
Blimey they were quoting over 300 Aud for the 1 gig sony stick, in Singapore.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:05 am
Banned

Blimey they were quoting over 300 Aud for the 1 gig sony stick, in Singapore.
I'm not surprised, trouble with Ebay is people sell stuff cheap and then rack up the postage to make their profit.

I bought 2 network cards off Ebay from the same place and they charged me £8 each postage. I said send them together but they had none of it.