Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

son with learning difficulty

son with learning difficulty

Old May 12th 2007, 10:29 am
chippy

premkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the rough
Default son with learning difficulty

Our son has learning difficulties, he has the one to one here in mainstream school 10 hours. he has been statemented with developmental delay.

We asked questions when we were in aus in jan, but due to school holidays we could not go to a school and get a better understanding of what is on offer.
any advise from people with experience of this would be invaluable.

thanks
ray + val
Old May 12th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice
Default Re: son with learning difficulty

Hiya both,

Do you know what area you would like to settle in? I would suggest emailing or even phoning a few schools within the area you are looking at.

Personally we have had no problems what so ever with our eldest lad. He has dyslexia. When we went to enroll him at the school i took along his statement from the UK and they assured me they would accomodate him in every way. He has extra help with certain subject and is doing much better than he was in the UK.

I know your situation is a bit different, but i just wanted to let you know that from what we have found the school has been very helpful.

Take care
Melis
Old May 12th 2007, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Will be watching this thread with interest as my youngest has SEN ... dyslexia compounded by speech/language relating to clefting who has daily one to one but in main stream, socially he has no worries... and elder son has unstatemented, milder, dyslexia.. He struggles with/ hates school but gets up early and gets himself there on the one day each week that they play basketball at a preschool club.

One of the reasons we are immigrating is the fact that the UK system is geared to getting kids through a never ending barage of acaddemic tests/exercises which are totally inappropriate for two of my children.. They are set up for failure in a culture which prides paper over physical endeavor. Having said that George is no David Beckham, but he will be the kid at the back working hard to get the ball forward for the golden boots who does the scoring.. and most importantly be the one best pleased that his mate has scored.

In the uk it has become vitually impossible to get an apprenticeship, but I understand that this system still flourishes in AUs. They are both hard working, very physical/active, friendly, polite and pleasant lads... who are happiest when they are outside doing... throwing things, kicking things and running with things.. They don't do indoors very well, they don't do tv for too long and as such they have little future here in the uk. We want more useable space and more consistant weather that doesn't always prevent us using that space...

My two girls are academically bright (not gifted) so will flourish in school anywhere.
Old May 12th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Hi all, can I ask if any of you have had problems with the medicals for your children? I know it is not the same, but we had our meds done 3 weeks ago and said about my 3 year olds speech problem. Doctor said this could be a problem even though I told him it was not a medical reason he had a defect it is just speech delay. I confirmed this by getting his speech therapist to write a report saying this. Thing is, OH is now saying we are not going to get in and won't talk about putting the house on the market etc and it has now rubbed off on me and I now too think we will not get in. Please tell me different.

Nic
Old May 12th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eddie007
Will be watching this thread with interest as my youngest has SEN ... dyslexia compounded by speech/language relating to clefting who has daily one to one but in main stream, socially he has no worries... and elder son has unstatemented, milder, dyslexia.. He struggles with/ hates school but gets up early and gets himself there on the one day each week that they play basketball at a preschool club.

One of the reasons we are immigrating is the fact that the UK system is geared to getting kids through a never ending barage of acaddemic tests/exercises which are totally inappropriate for two of my children.. They are set up for failure in a culture which prides paper over physical endeavor. Having said that George is no David Beckham, but he will be the kid at the back working hard to get the ball forward for the golden boots who does the scoring.. and most importantly be the one best pleased that his mate has scored.

In the uk it has become vitually impossible to get an apprenticeship, but I understand that this system still flourishes in AUs. They are both hard working, very physical/active, friendly, polite and pleasant lads... who are happiest when they are outside doing... throwing things, kicking things and running with things.. They don't do indoors very well, they don't do tv for too long and as such they have little future here in the uk. We want more useable space and more consistant weather that doesn't always prevent us using that space...

My two girls are academically bright (not gifted) so will flourish in school anywhere.
Just want to say that your boys sound ab fab. They may not be suited to an office enviroment (who really is!), but my OH worked in the building trade here in the UK for a little while - hard work and enthusisim will get you EVERYWHERE! Good luck to them and you when you get to Oz.
Old May 12th 2007, 7:52 pm
chippy

premkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the roughpremkit is a jewel in the rough

we had our meds end of april, the doc wanted all the doctors reports peadiatrics speach and his future needs. doc told us not to worry, and we wont, cant second guess all what goes on in the process of emigration, stress levels would be on the roof.

i wouldnt worry one bit. if you daughter has only the speach delay that wont put a stop to the process.

good luck

ray val
Old May 12th 2007, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Youngest with bilateral cleft lip & pallete and associated speech delay ... Panal Dr said he was no worries as his condition is a, self limiting, b, likely to resolve with time... Gave them the Ed Psych report which said he was well adjusted with good verbal reasoning but a little hard to understand at times... and has dyslexia which may require reader/scribe in later (exam) years... His "problem" wont stop him supporting himself financially, cost the health service much or stop him working... it may just mean he settles for something practical and gives up his dream of being a bbc radio 4 presenter

Our medicals landed in Sidney this morning so will let you know as soon as we know...
Old May 13th 2007, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Thank you guys, you have no idea how much that has put my mind at rest.

Nic
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

bradybunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Youngest with bilateral cleft lip & pallete and associated speech delay ... Panal Dr said he was no worries as his condition is a, self limiting, b, likely to resolve with time... Gave them the Ed Psych report which said he was well adjusted with good verbal reasoning but a little hard to understand at times... and has dyslexia which may require reader/scribe in later (exam) years... His "problem" wont stop him supporting himself financially, cost the health service much or stop him working... it may just mean he settles for something practical and gives up his dream of being a bbc radio 4 presenter

Our medicals landed in Sidney this morning so will let you know as soon as we know...

hi hope you dont mind me butting in on your topic, but reading your thread has just made me start to jump around the kitchen, i also have a son with a bilateral cleft lip and palate and had more or less given up hope about going to oz due to this, i am now hoping beyond all hope that your able to tell me if you have had your medicals passed yet? and what information you had to supply!

thankyou julie
Old Jul 15th 2007, 3:50 pm
chippy

Hi Julie
we had to give everything you have ever had from any one dealing with your childs needs/difficulties. speech and language reports, pediatrician. local childhood behavior nurse, school and statement reports. the lot.

we had to get more info after the medical, but it is just a formality. give them heaps and they can bin what they want and send on the relevant info to aus.

where are you in the migration wheel? we are still waiting for the ok or ko.

ray
Old Jul 15th 2007, 3:55 pm
chippy

Originally Posted by Nic938
Thank you guys, you have no idea how much that has put my mind at rest.

Nic
Nic and eddy where are you in the process?
Old Jul 15th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

This thread is very interesting to me. Our son has mild cerebral palsy and autism (Asperger's). We sent our visa's away just over 3 weeks ago. We are now sitting playing the very nervous waiting game. We are hoping to go to Sydney in November and I am just starting to look at the schooling etc.

It is so great to hear others stories a bit like ours and have made me feel more positive that there are others trying too
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:02 am
Just Joined

bradybunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by premkit
Hi Julie
we had to give everything you have ever had from any one dealing with your childs needs/difficulties. speech and language reports, pediatrician. local childhood behavior nurse, school and statement reports. the lot.

we had to get more info after the medical, but it is just a formality. give them heaps and they can bin what they want and send on the relevant info to aus.

where are you in the migration wheel? we are still waiting for the ok or ko.

ray
Hi
Thanks for your response, we havent even started applying for visa yet. The agents I had spoken to were not very unhelpful as to whether we would pass the medicals in view of sons condition, I had tried to post on this site earlier in the year, but didnt get any response's. So I was very excited when I came across this thread, as I had thought that we would be refused a visa on medical grounds so gave up (didnt want to go through the whole visa process then get to last bit and be turned down!)
Plus oh job is not exactly straight forward either so we have a lot of challanges to get through, but at least I know if we do get to medicals that there is hope and it wont be a straight no!
Thanks for info and good luck! hope you get the ok to go, will keep watching and im sure you'll let us know when you get the answer.
Thanks again
Julie
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Originally Posted by premkit
Nic and eddy where are you in the process?

Hopefully Eddie will be along soon... but to put your mind at ease I know they got their visa
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:20 am
Just Joined

cornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Josie1100
This thread is very interesting to me. Our son has mild cerebral palsy and autism (Asperger's). We sent our visa's away just over 3 weeks ago. We are now sitting playing the very nervous waiting game. We are hoping to go to Sydney in November and I am just starting to look at the schooling etc.

It is so great to hear others stories a bit like ours and have made me feel more positive that there are others trying too
You might find some resource info for your son at www.thespasticcentre.org.au. They have several therapy and resource centres in sydney and in some parts of rural NSW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.