Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Son being bullied

Son being bullied

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:19 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Angry Son being bullied

My son goes to Carina state school and a few months ago was being bullied by 3 boys, who were kicking in in the groin and punching him, this was eventually resolved after two boys left, the third one seems to be behaving alot better now, but one of the boys who left returned after a few weeeks and we have found out has been kicking and punching my son and his friend again. The boy in question has been disrupting the class for ages with tantrums and throwing things about and has had countless detentions, and now after having gone to see the principle this boy has been sent home for a few days and when he comes back he will be put on playtime watch in a classroom for a week and then they will negotiate from there.

My son loved his school in Scotland and now hates going, when this boy was gone for a few weeks he was happy again at school, he has a nice group of friends and is popular with the ladies, but after this last episode he wants to go to a different school because this boy will come back again. To be honest we feel he has went backwards in his education since we came here.

So the thing is can anyone recommend a decent state school or private school in Brisbane as we are happy to move (our lease is up in a few months anyway), we are thinking about our original idea of Forest Lake, but also have looked at Rivermount College at Yatala.

Right now we are very confused and dont know what to do or where to go. I loved Brisbane but over the last few weeks I have been very unsettled, and a lot of things are getting to me, and dont really know what to do for the best, the good old cant think straight when it looks like everything is going wrong , but not enought to want to go back to Scotland so thats something.

One of the other things that is getting to me is that buying a house is getting further and further from our grasp (sound familiar to anyone!), so sorry for the moan but just need to get this off my chest.

So if anyone could give me some advice on schools, areas etc as we really are running out of time to get a rental for christmas.
Clairex
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son being bullied

Originally Posted by belleandscone
My son goes to Carina state school and a few months ago was being bullied by 3 boys, who were kicking in in the groin and punching him, this was eventually resolved after two boys left, the third one seems to be behaving alot better now, but one of the boys who left returned after a few weeeks and we have found out has been kicking and punching my son and his friend again. The boy in question has been disrupting the class for ages with tantrums and throwing things about and has had countless detentions, and now after having gone to see the principle this boy has been sent home for a few days and when he comes back he will be put on playtime watch in a classroom for a week and then they will negotiate from there.

My son loved his school in Scotland and now hates going, when this boy was gone for a few weeks he was happy again at school, he has a nice group of friends and is popular with the ladies, but after this last episode he wants to go to a different school because this boy will come back again. To be honest we feel he has went backwards in his education since we came here.

So the thing is can anyone recommend a decent state school or private school in Brisbane as we are happy to move (our lease is up in a few months anyway), we are thinking about our original idea of Forest Lake, but also have looked at Rivermount College at Yatala.

Right now we are very confused and dont know what to do or where to go. I loved Brisbane but over the last few weeks I have been very unsettled, and a lot of things are getting to me, and dont really know what to do for the best, the good old cant think straight when it looks like everything is going wrong , but not enought to want to go back to Scotland so thats something.

One of the other things that is getting to me is that buying a house is getting further and further from our grasp (sound familiar to anyone!), so sorry for the moan but just need to get this off my chest.

So if anyone could give me some advice on schools, areas etc as we really are running out of time to get a rental for christmas.
Clairex
Teach your son to fight back and never, ever concede to these little pricks. As well as that get on to the school about it. Don't let them fob you off. Be relentless and go over their heads if they don't sort it out.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:24 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats awful

the school needs to get it sorted out!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience Aussie schools are crap at dealing with bullies. almost inevitably they blame the kid being bullied for not "being resilient enough"
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:38 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Son being bullied

Originally Posted by belleandscone

Clairex
Have you talked to the teachers in your son's school? Get them to ensure your son's safety from this kid. For the future let your son learn to defend himself, boxing, martial arts or something?? He might even enjoy it.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:44 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi

We're in Redland Bay and my 6 yrs old daughter (sorry don't now how old your son is) goes to Redland Bay State School. My sister inlaw is a teacher here and so we were able to get inside info from other teachers in the area who had worked at the school. The report was good and I have to say that I am really pleased with how my little girl has settled.

We have only been here 3 months but before we left the UK for Oz in August 07 we had to relocate within the UK North to South in April 07. Although it was a lovley school and the system and surroundings very similar to her old school, she took 3 month to settle and cried most mornings going in to school. There was nothing wrong but she always got upset.

Here it has been completely different. First morning some tears, 2nd ok, 3rd balled her eyes but but since then loves it, she would go at the weekend if she could. I know other parents from the UK who have also had the same expereinces. On the discpline front, although I have not seen bad behaviour. Something must have happend the other morning and the dept principle was really ripping through (within reason)a group of kids and really seems to be sorting them out. It was good to see that dicpline was really improtant to he school and they didn't just let it go. I know from my sisiter inlaw that this is the case within some other schools and she can't stand it, it makes thisngs very difficult for everyone.

The area is lovley, Redland Bay being right on the bays edge, Vicky Point up the road 5mins for all shopping, clinic, doctors etc....

On the house front you can still get properties for under $400, in some cases may require a little attention, and there are plently of people keen to buy them, but we all want to put our mark on things anyway.

If you fancy a chat about the area, etc feel free to PM me. Moving again is a big decision and I'm sure you want to get it right. But when he kids are unhappy it unbalances the whole family.

Hope that helps.

Michelle
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Teach your son to fight back and never, ever concede to these little pricks. As well as that get on to the school about it. Don't let them fob you off. Be relentless and go over their heads if they don't sort it out.
My 3 kids have carte blanche to use violence against kids who are being violent towards them. The school would be totally against this approach, but we don't care.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Not living in the same state, but wanted to say hope you get things sorted for your son.

As a parent and married to a teacher, It doesnt matter what country you are in some schools are just crap at dealing with bullying. Its a sad fact, and you could get on a plane and move to UK and find similar thing happening.

Dont let it put you off your new life, if the school will not help my advice is move to a different school.

GEMS
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:59 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
My 3 kids have carte blanche to use violence against kids who are being violent towards them. The school would be totally against this approach, but we don't care.
I have always told my kids...somebody hits you..you hit them back harder...I have told the school thats what I tell them to do and if the school doesnt like it then tough!!!! If somebody hit me I would deck the bastards!!!!!

If the school will not do anything then its time to get the police involved, this is not just bullying this is bloody assault.

A friend of mines son got a kicking the other day ....because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.....this wee thug(known to the school for his behaviour) just decided he fancied kicking somebodies head in....and his 2 mates decided to help out. I went to the school with my friend to get her son and the wee soul was traumatised,,he had been kicked in the throat, head, kidneys and bitten FFS this little shit knew where to kick!!!!!! I told my friend to take him straight to the doc who told her that this is Assault and had to be reported to the police, doc also said that had he been a smaller child he may not have been here today.

The kids involved were removed from the school immediately. have an instant 20 day suspension to be reviewed, and are not allowed to go anywhere near their victim. Nobody else had reported this childs behaviour therefore the police can only say dont do it again. These boys are only 11 ffs imagine what they r going to grow into. Your son shouldnt have to move.........sort this little shit out, dont let it lie

Last edited by biggy; Nov 2nd 2007 at 1:49 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:15 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by biggy
........sort this little shit out, dont let it lie
Word!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Quick reply. Get up the school for an appointment with the principal, they have to record injuries and reports from parents.

Agree there is this no blame thing, 10 year old got strangled by a some nut case twice his size and they were both given an equal talking too, but the latest craze "pole driving" which big thugs pick up smaller kids, smash them into into ground on head/neck first the SCHOOl rang me about this when it happened, think they were scared we would take legal action as he was badly injured, so they do sometimes get involved. The sack whacking craze was last year up here, think that got a stop put to it when one parent complained of serious injury. Crazy shite all of it, but nothing will happen till you do something that will go on record then they act, usually pretty fast.

Also one good think here, weve had the class lists go up some years and scored the class from hell combo of laid back teacher/thug kids, I have never had a problem, after a meeting getting my kids moved to something more suitable.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:36 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was always told by my parents someone hits you hit them back i say the same to my daughter i spoke about this to one off the other mothers at the kindy she was shocked that ive told my daughter this but i dont care i dont want her to be a target for bullies she's got red hair so im expecting her to get alot of stick as she gets older.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:56 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Being bullied is a really alienating situation to be in. Some of these bullies take it thru to their adult lives and it manifests in different ways - sicko's get satisfaction putting other people down!

Hope things turn out well for your son as it's a horrible sitution to be in, maybe some good advise is to take him to martial arts classes, if you move to another school you run the risk of it happening there too .

My son's ex - martial arts teachers (husband and wife) started taking their son for the same reason and ended up teaching it.

I just want to say good luck in how you end up dealing with it .

Carmel
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:06 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Angry Re: Son being bullied

Thanks for all your replies, my son is 6, and we have been to see the principle twice now, we have told her this is assualt and we are disgusted at the way this has been handled. James faught back the last time - so got recruited to the gang and got detention for hitting a year 2 boy - got that behaviour stopped dead in it's tracks let me tell you, but he said that this boy is a much better fighter, so he is too scared to fight back. I have always believed in if someone hits you, you hit them back, and we have told him this but the principle says it's not right for him not to do anything but it is also not right for him to hit back so he really cant win.

When I went to see the principle the other day (without an appointment) she was clearly not happy to see me, she also said she was very busy with a multicultural day but I refused to leave until I had an appointment that morning. I have asked for James to be put in the other year 1 class but she says it's full. If the other boy was removed from the school altogether them James would stay but he will be back in a few days and god knows what will happen then, so we want to find a new school asap.

When the kids are unhappy that affects everything, we came here for a better life for them, and so far that hasnt happened for my wee lad.. It is the worst feeling in the world when you find out your son has been attacked, and getting kneed in the groin, I felt sick and shocked that kids that age would do somehting so wicked.

Biggy, I really feel for your friend and her son, that is such a horrible thing to happen at any age. It is awful that nothing happens to these bullies, a detention here, few days of school here, but they always come back.
Clairex

Last edited by belleandscone; Nov 2nd 2007 at 2:12 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with is we have spoken to our son who has been told off many times, he has been "RT'd" a few times but he is never bullied, anyone who pushes him, punches him, kicks him etc. they get one back 2 fold.
They don't bother him again.
I know it is wrong and the teacher has warned us about this behaviour but as far as I am concerned this is the law of the jungle I am afraid.

I know a lot of do gooders will tell me violence is wrong under any circumstances, but I will back my son 100% if he is getting picked on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.