Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Son, aged 7, just dosen't want to go!

Son, aged 7, just dosen't want to go!

Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Default Re: Son, aged 7, just dosen't want to go!

Originally Posted by worzel
You got away with a trampoline? We promised a pool. I didn't think we could get away with it that cheap!
And i promised a dog- think i drew the short straw At least you can relax in the pool, have fun on the trampoline........
I may start a thread this will be interesting!
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:09 pm
toocheeky

Lol! I promised myself the pool! I could share it with the kids I s'pose......

Originally Posted by worzel
You got away with a trampoline? We promised a pool. I didn't think we could get away with it that cheap!

Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

I moved around a lot when I was a kid and I found it ok as I made new friends easily enough. Kids are resilient and when they are young family is more important than friends so I wouldn't worry too much about moving an 8/9/10 year old. It all changes however when they are teens and I would think twice about moving a teen who is dead against going as it can be very traumatic. I am speaking as someone who has been through it. Moves aged 5,7,and 11 didn't upset me but a move at 15 was terrible because I didn't want to go.
Of course once they are 18 they can stay behind if they feel very strongly about it . Good luck.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Who's in CHARGE HERE? You or the KID?
You have your way, clearly, and I have mine, don't knock it!

Yes, parents have the absolute right to make decisions for their kids, and there will always be instances where discussion isn't an issue, your example illustrates that perfectly... However, my choice has always been, and always will be, to explain and, heaven forbid, discuss things with my kids. Nobody's life is in danger if we don't make it to australia!

I don't always get it right, and quite obviously my approach isn't your approach, but I like the way I do things... My perception of 'being in control', isn't about being a 'hard ass', however, I'm not knocking that approach, each to their own, you have to go with what makes you respect yourself as a parent! I just consider that explanation and consideration are important when your a parent.

As for the drugs and drink driving, simple really, I'll just put a gun to his head, nothing like a pissed off mother...