Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sometimes i wonder if i am doing the right thing

sometimes i wonder if i am doing the right thing

Old Jul 11th 2004, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

john&jules is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face sometimes i wonder if i am doing the right thing

this made me laugh i know it shouldnt but it did.

jules, a horse lover

QUEENSLAND NEWS

back PRINT-FRIENDLY VERSION EMAIL THIS STORY

Trotted off to court
Jasmin Lill
10jul04
BEN Volgers said curiosity prompted him to hold a cigarette lighter near a police horse's rump in the Fortitude Valley Mall.

But he soon learned more than he'd ever wanted to know about the four-legged law enforcers when he landed in the Brisbane Magistrate's Court charged with animal cruelty.

Police witnesses told the court they were standing outside the Valley Police Beat about 1.30am on February 28 when Volgers came their way.

One police officer said Volgers, 19, approached a 400kg police horse named Kojak before igniting a cigarette lighter and pushing it near the horse's rump.

Another officer said she saw Kojak stamp his hoof and swish his tail after the lighter was held near his rump.

Kojak's handler, Sergeant Roy Mientjes, said he was about to mount his horse when it "engaged its hindquarters".

"If a horse is frightened or startled, it will do that," he said.

Volgers, a hearing aid technician, told the court he had been drinking heavily that night and admitted holding the lighter near the rear of the horse.

But he denied pushing the flame closer, adding he had no intention of setting the horse on fire.

Magistrate Dennis Beutel found Volgers guilty, fined him $350 and did not record a conviction.

Outside court, Volgers said he had acted stupidly but had not meant any harm to Kojak.

"I wasn't going to sit there and in my head think 'oh, I'll light a horse on fire'," he said.

"It was more 'what if the horse farted', along those lines, more comical."

Volgers said he had the lighter out after dropping a cigarette.

"I still had the lighter in my hand – probably with intentions to light another cigarette – but the horse caught my fascination more," he said.

And what advice does he have for anyone else curious about a beast belonging to the boys in blue?

"If anyone even sees a police horse, just walk the other way. It's the safest bet," he said.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

LOL had to bump this as it made me laugh..It just goes to show there are morons everywhere.