Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Something to watch out for when insuring your car.

Something to watch out for when insuring your car.

Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road
Default Something to watch out for when insuring your car.

I just thought that I would pass on my experience of insuring a car in Victoria. I was trying to insure my Holden Commodore and since I have just arrived in Aus and only just transferred my licence to a Victorian one, most insurance companies wanted to double my excess as I am an inexperienced driver in Australia! 20 years driving but inexperienced!

I found one company that treated me sensibly and gave me protected NCD since I had a good UK driving record. AAMI, they were friendly and reasonably priced.

Make sure you ask about the excess when insuring you car and transferring to a new Aussie licence.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:34 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Something to watch out for when insuring your car.

Originally Posted by Melchels
I just thought that I would pass on my experience of insuring a car in Victoria. I was trying to insure my Holden Commodore and since I have just arrived in Aus and only just transferred my licence to a Victorian one, most insurance companies wanted to double my excess as I am an inexperienced driver in Australia! 20 years driving but inexperienced!

I found one company that treated me sensibly and gave me protected NCD since I had a good UK driving record. AAMI, they were friendly and reasonably priced.

Make sure you ask about the excess when insuring you car and transferring to a new Aussie licence.
We are insured with RACV and they took into account our overseas driving experience, and no claims bonus, no questions asked. Another very good company!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:50 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

We were with SGIO, were paying nearly $70 a month, and a family friend who has worked in insurance business for 40yrs told us to go to Western QBE, as SGIO are the worst with claims, they have been known to fight most cases and prolong the process...

Called Western QBE 2 yrs ago, same car, same insurance, exactly same policy, $300 less excess and cost us $40 a month.

Given that I wrote off our car 2wks ago in a bad crash, can't thank Western QBE enough. Accident happened Monday night, called them Tue morning, they sent a guy to look at it Wed, this guy called Thu and wrote it off, plates were taken off Fri, delicenced the car at transport dept, called finance company to get a payout figure, faxed to Western QBE, still on Fri.

By Wed (Mon & Tue were Xmas public holidays) they called, cheques had been sent to us (as the payout was as well $2000 more than we expected) and to our finance company. Not bad at all, given that really nothing usually happens fast duriing Xmas break and within 8 days the whole thing was sorted. I really can't speak highly enough of them, really fantastic!!!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:01 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We insured with Suncorp and they gave us a rating 1 on both policies (full no claims) based on age (both 40) and driving experience.