Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

something to ponder, ??

something to ponder, ??

Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:09 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool something to ponder, ??

Spent the day ,driving out to Ngalpa [pro-Nap-la} 170 km nth of Adelaide ,sth of Burra . Delivered A guy from Shefield , a well packed job from Robinsons,{for all you people using this company}, this guy has bought an old farm house in the middle of nowhere, and is restoring it, i asked ,as i always do why did you leave the UK? his answer suprised me , "He reckons, Britian is turning into a nation of WannaBees, half the country wannabee europeans ,half the country dont wannabee europeans , then there,s the wannabee aussies and canadians , and the disturbing thing is Half of eastern europe wannabee Brits" he felt that Britain in 25 yrs time will be a disturbing place, ok this guy is loaded, and probably is abit of a recluse. [my opinon only], but do you think he is right???......... MM
Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: something to ponder, ??

Originally posted by mr mover
Spent the day ,driving out to Ngalpa [pro-Nap-la} 170 km nth of Adelaide ,sth of Burra . Delivered A guy from Shefield , a well packed job from Robinsons,{for all you people using this company}, this guy has bought an old farm house in the middle of nowhere, and is restoring it, i asked ,as i always do why did you leave the UK? his answer suprised me , "He reckons, Britian is turning into a nation of WannaBees, half the country wannabee europeans ,half the country dont wannabee europeans , then there,s the wannabee aussies and canadians , and the disturbing thing is Half of eastern europe wannabee Brits" he felt that Britain in 25 yrs time will be a disturbing place, ok this guy is loaded, and probably is abit of a recluse. [my opinon only], but do you think he is right???......... MM
bit of a strange reason to leave, but each to his own...
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:19 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Dont think its gonna get any better lets put it that way
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:26 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

but do you think he is right???......... MM
I think that he has got a point, though if he thinks that anywhere in the "developed" Western world of ours is gonna be exempt from refugee issues and people not being happy with their lot then he is deluding himself.

Its human nature to strive for something better in life and thats what the refugees are doing, and lets face it thats why a lot of us on this site are looking to leave the country.

I am not leaving the UK with any delussions about Oz being a country free from problems. I'm going cos I want to try something new and different and because I can.

But think of the refugees, the real ones, they are escaping real hardship. Its very easy for people to turn there backs and say its not my problem but it isn't there problem either that their countries have been torn apart by corrupt regimes and wars etc. And before everyone jumps up and down protesting against what I have said

1) I do think that there is a place in our society for legitimate refugees.
2) I do think the government could do more to ensure the fairness of the integration and the control of the flow of immigrants ensuring those who need the help get it and those that are taking the piss don't.
3) I do think the French should be bought to task a little more over the way they act as a departure lounge for the UK.
4) I do think that it is upto the "civilised" world to work out how to shoulder the responsibilities in an even way

Unfortunatley these issues are to big and the greed and fear of being unpopular means that governments will carry on doing the minimum that is required and we will continue in the vicious circle of reaction to headline events as opposed to proactive and constructive policies.

Anyway party political broadcast for the "bored at work" party over.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:27 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

If he's from Sheffield (like wot I am!) he's probably a bit off his trolley from the fumes from the drains...been appalling this year!
He has probably been reading the papers too much - the local rag ran a story a couple of weeks ago about a local councillors/residents meeting where the residents were objecting to the council putting asylum seekers and homeless people into a block of near-empty flats. It was suggested (unofficially of course) that they be put in some of the more affluent suburbs..........you could hear the screams going up form several miles away...!
Sheffield does has a seemingly large population of immigrants and its fair share of homeless people....but what is this guy doing .... he just wants to be somewhere else...surely that makes him a wannabee too? I would imagine the situation is similar all over Europe... last time I went to Amsterdam it was full of English students as well as many other Europeans!
He's probably one of these people who conveniently forgets that the world moves on every day... the uk is already a fairly disturbing place if you venture into the dodgy areas ...it s people like him who create this inherent racism in our society. thank god hes on a remote farm ...
I think you are correct to suggest he is a recluse...after all he could have found property that isolates him from civilisation up in the highlands of Scotland...but he just wants to be somewhere hot...!

sue
Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:13 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

[i], "He reckons, Britian is turning into a nation of WannaBees, half the country wannabee europeans ,half the country dont wannabee europeans , then there,s the wannabee aussies and canadians , and the disturbing thing is Half of eastern europe wannabee Brits" he felt that Britain in 25 yrs time will be a disturbing place, ok this guy is loaded, and probably is abit of a recluse. [my opinon only], but do you think he is right???......... MM

From one whos husband works for the Home Office and sees the situation in Croydon every day - and has read the literature the answer is

YES YES YES YES and if you aren't sure I mean it YES:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 8th 2003, 5:36 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
I think that he has got a point, though if he thinks that anywhere in the "developed" Western world of ours is gonna be exempt from refugee issues and people not being happy with their lot then he is deluding himself.

Its human nature to strive for something better in life and thats what the refugees are doing, and lets face it thats why a lot of us on this site are looking to leave the country.

I am not leaving the UK with any delussions about Oz being a country free from problems. I'm going cos I want to try something new and different and because I can.

But think of the refugees, the real ones, they are escaping real hardship. Its very easy for people to turn there backs and say its not my problem but it isn't there problem either that their countries have been torn apart by corrupt regimes and wars etc. And before everyone jumps up and down protesting against what I have said

1) I do think that there is a place in our society for legitimate refugees.
2) I do think the government could do more to ensure the fairness of the integration and the control of the flow of immigrants ensuring those who need the help get it and those that are taking the piss don't.
3) I do think the French should be bought to task a little more over the way they act as a departure lounge for the UK.
4) I do think that it is upto the "civilised" world to work out how to shoulder the responsibilities in an even way

Unfortunatley these issues are to big and the greed and fear of being unpopular means that governments will carry on doing the minimum that is required and we will continue in the vicious circle of reaction to headline events as opposed to proactive and constructive policies.

Anyway party political broadcast for the "bored at work" party over.
Well said Hup, like you say refugees are coming here for a better life for themselves and their families which is exactly what we are trying to do by moving to Oz/NZ.

ACE
Old Sep 8th 2003, 5:57 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait a minute, I might be a good old hanging man capitalist at heart but:

- we are all born equal (ie DNA, nobody is better than anybody else (especially true at birth) and we all share the fact that we are near-as-dammit identical, black, white or yellow - there isn't any difference in intelligence, aptitude, feeling etc between the newborn babies of the world.

- this planet is a small place when related to the cosmos. We all come from the same place regardless of artificial boundaries/ state lines/ oceans etc. We are all earthlings.

- shouldn't we all have equal opportunities in life? (As far as that is possible?) This means freedom to live + work anywhere we damn well please.

- there would possibly be a few years or decades of near chaos as the world's population shifted here & there but this would be quickly resolved. Look at (say) the USA - a huge country of enormous inequalities. People do move within the USA for economic reasons but this movement is contained.

- when you analyse claims that the 'social fabric is being adversely affected', what do you have left from some people's objections to large shifts in population (nowadays, especially immigrants into the UK)? I think: objection to change. Objection to different skin colour. Objection to people who don't speak perfect English when they arrive. Objection to different social habits/ different religious practices. Objection to the statu quo being altered, perhaps not always in the incumbents' interests. Objection to immigrants 'stealing our jobs'. Objection to new arrivals forcing up house prices. Objection to the incumbent UK resident facing new competition in various aspects of his life. (From his DNA twin.)

- I have near enough zero sympathy for these objections.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

As one who has stood in queue at Croydon I have to tell you I sympathise with anyone who works there.

For those that think this is being elitist or racist I have to tell you I saw more dodgy transactions happening in that queue than you would see in a dark alley on a Saturday night. Problem is the people with the sincere intent are caught in the same trap as those who are just milking the system.

Originally posted by yafm
From one whos husband works for the Home Office and sees the situation in Croydon every day - and has read the literature the answer is

Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres got to be strict restrictions on who comes in to a country. You want people coming in who will make the country better not worse, you dont want islamic fundamentalists who hate anyone whos not Muslim because they will support the violent ones who do get in. you dont want unskilled labour living off the dole and anything else free which is your hard earned tax money. You dont want those who sneak in to the country or cheat and lie to get in because theyll continue to cheat and lie when they get there. Its the people who make a country great or a country weak. Weve got people coming in to NZ by air and disposing of their passports on the way then claiming asylum as a refugee - we dont want them. Recently one came in who is being held because he may have terrorist connections - is it worth the risk? no send him home. Should we just welcome a boat load of refugees like Helen clark did , no questions asked or send them back like John Howard did and get them to apply through the proper channels. Call me rascist if you like but its our kids and our grandkids futures that we work for now. We want it to be the best it can be.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:48 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yafm

Is croydon part of Shefield,? this guy seemed to think that most of the east europeans only want to get into Britain ,to brush up on their English at British tax payers expense,before making an attempt at their ultimate goal, being the united states.? ..... MM
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:10 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I just feel sorry for anyone that has to be in Croydon.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually don't believe that the US would be the ultimate goal for these people solely because there is no welfare system here. You don't have a job, well stiff, no government body is going to give you a house to live in, money to buy your booze and fags and forget going to the Dr. Think the US would be too much like hard work once they figured out there wasn't going to be any hand outs.

Is croydon part of Shefield,? this guy seemed to think that most of the east europeans only want to get into Britain ,to brush up on their English at British tax payers expense,before making an attempt at their ultimate goal, being the united states.? ..... MM
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Something to ponder!! I`m not usually one for conspiricy theorys,although I`m convinced lady Di`s was no accident.I read an article a while back about illegal immigrants(economic migrants) and how easy it was for them to get in and stay in the country.The theory is that in the not to distant future the way things were going there was going to be more pensioners than people working.Add to that governments for years tory and labour have made no forward provision for pension funds,therefor they are paid out of taxpayers money every year.The figures dont add up and pensions will not be able to be funded like that.There has been a decision to let our system change and be an attraction ,more than any other country so that these economic migrants (cheap labour )can settle and work.Next year a new wave of migrants will arrive legally from the new members of the EC,they again will not stop in france etc,uk is far more attractive,by accident? I think not.I dont blame these people at all,I would do the same in the same position.Dont moan at these people,your government wants them and more.I reckon oz has it`s problems as well but with their migration programs I think in the long run they`ll fare better than UK.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 2:31 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Why would they go to USA when the literature in the home offices gives a waiting time for a home of 12 hours - this when the british children and families areunable to get on a waiting list of houses as there are 'none available'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.