Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Wikiposts

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:31 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Originally Posted by kath n kim
louise4, provided that you are in Australia as a P.R, Medicare is subsidised for you, this includes- Doctors appointments, hospital care, hospital treatment, x-rays etc, etc.. If you have children, unless you are earning extremely high wages you will also recieve the equivalent of the U.K Child benefit. There are also other benefits which you can claim, even though you may never have contributed towards the country's economy, so yes, many people are entitled to quite a lot...... Yes, you will probably have to work "bloody hard" when you get here, as we have to, again this is something that Australia and the U.K have in common.
I know about medicare and child benefit, but if that is standard why say that we expect it. we don't expect these things, if Australia has a problem, they can stop it. same as we can except we don't have the 2 years ban on everything else, income support and the like.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by renth
Kind of ironic, but at least in Australia the immigrants are "filtered"

As they are in the UK. Hence the trouble over Blunkett and the Nanny's Visa. If you are going to bash immigrants please do it from a well informed stance rather than simply having a go at Johnny foreigner. Just think where the NHS would be without immigrant workers!

Optus
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post Kath n Kim. One of the most intellegent I've read in a long time. I hate the way that immigrant is now almost seen as a dirty word when thats exactly what we all are or aspire to be!
On the other bone of contention here I have a Welsh mother, a Scottish father and I grew up in London. I am most definitely British
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

"Is Wales then?" - Kath N Kim - I think technically it is a principality, 'cus of the Prince of Wales, but I am not sure what implications that has.

I think of myself as English and British. Maybe Australian one day too. Hubby and I plan to get citizenship as soon as we are able.

There does seem to be a pride in being an Aussie, but also real pride in what state you come from. My cousin made a comment that people from NSW weren't real Aussies as they aren't from Queensland. The state of origin shows that as well.

Katie
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:54 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Is Wales then?
Of course it is. Sure they don't have a "welsh" passport but if a people see themselves as distinct, particularly with their own language, as most Welsh do then yes, it's a country.

Ceri, where are you?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:03 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post. Agree that the two places are very similar and some of the factors you've identified that people cite as reasons for wanting to leave the UK (scroungers, immigrants etc) exist in Aus. Looking at it from the outside in does give a whole new perspective.

As to the old chestnut that immigration, scrounging etc is a new phenomena - bollocks! The UK (and everywhere else) has always had (and will continue to always have) people that try and cheat the system. It's most definitely not a new thing. If it is, I'd love to know exactly when it started and who started it! This whole, 'in my day ...' attitude is rose-tinted nostalgia; not based on fact, logic or reason.

GG
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Of course it is. Sure they don't have a "welsh" passport but if a people see themselves as distinct, particularly with their own language, as most Welsh do then yes, it's a country.

Ceri, where are you?
I think the point they are making is that Wales does not have the same Government rules and regulations that the Australian States each have.

Wales does not have its own annual Budget
Wales does not have its own Driving licence rules and road rules etc., etc
Does Wales have its own Government ? (This I do not know )

So even though it is a separate country, it has so much less power than each individual Australian State

Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would post this for all of you who are leaving the U.K because of all it's "problems".
A lot of people seem to be talking about the "spongers" who are now there....Sponging off the benefit system, having never worked a day in their lives, never having contributed to National Insurance contributions, expecting child benefit, free dental treatment, free prescriptions, free hospital treatment and numerous other handouts.......The huge influx of foreign immigrants flowing into the country, immediately expecting these same handouts, again having never contributed to the country's econonomy, often ignorant to the country's culture, morals, values, laws, way of life and even sometimes the language.... A lot of people are complaining about the rising crime rates, cost of houses, rising taxes, ridiculous laws, the governments' lax stand on allowing all these foreign immigrants to just walk into the country and almost "take over".....The lack of control that teachers now seem to have over children, in often overcrowded classrooms, with no discipline or morals being taught at the homes of these children, and your children having to be taught alongside them............The decline in the standard of public health care, aged care, mental health care and every other (overstreched and free) national system, probably due to the "spongers"......The widening gap between the wealthy and the poor... The list of the failings of the country is endless.
I know, because a few years ago I was saying exactly the same, then I moved to Australia.

I now realise that you could be saying exactly the same about this country. The only difference is that, I am now that "foreign immigrant"...As you will be in the near future. Expecting free Healthcare, Child benefit etc, etc........Trying desperately to fit-in, make a new/better life and trying to recreate a little bit of what was familiar to you, here in this new adopted country where often everything seems strange and almost unwelcoming. Where the system sometimes seems so unfamiliar, and where a friendly, helpful face is so gratefully appreciated...(even if it is in Centrelink!)

And who can blame many of the Australian people born here for often feeling slightly resentful of the fact that "Pommies" move over here and expect everything for nothing? That they move over here and push their property prices up to unaffordable levels for the average Aussie, because they can afford to pay more, after selling their house in the U.K for an astronomical price......Then, they come over here and expect handouts for free, without ever having contributed to the country's economy............Bringing with them their own thoughts and ideas on how things should be done.......
Sound familiar?
There are still the same injustices, unfairness, crimes and everything else over here, just as they are in the U.K. The only difference is that you see it from a different angle when you are on the outside, looking in.

Living in Australia has taught me many things. One of them is to have a little pride in your own country. Most Australians are very patriotic, and why shouldn't they be - Australia is a wonderful country......But then,
so is Great Britain. It is still one of the most sought after countries in the world, to live - That's why so many foreigners want to live there! So please don't knock it, or the "foreign immigrants" most of whom have moved there trying desperately to forge a better lives for themselves and their families, just as you will be doing in Australia.
People are human, no matter where they were born, and there are good and bad everywhere. I for one, now appreciate all that the U.K does have, rather than what it doesn't.

These are my thoughts and views. You may agree or disagree, that is your prerogative.
nicely put x karma on way
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think the point they are making is that Wales does not have the same Government rules and regulations that the Australian States each have.

Wales does not have its own annual Budget
Wales does not have its own Driving licence rules and road rules etc., etc
Does Wales have its own Government ? (This I do not know )

So even though it is a separate country, it has so much less power than each individual Australian State
Sure, but I would argue a much stronger sense of national identity than, say NSW or Victoria (who I'm all sure are very proud of their state)
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:27 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by optus
As they are in the UK. Hence the trouble over Blunkett and the Nanny's Visa. If you are going to bash immigrants please do it from a well informed stance rather than simply having a go at Johnny foreigner. Just think where the NHS would be without immigrant workers!
Optus
Easy tiger, I'd never bash immigrants, being one myself. I'm bashing the way it has happened in the UK.

As for the NHS, true, it runs on immigrant workers, just like the Aussie health system. Unfortunately the Aussie health system takes from the UK and the UK takes from Africa, where they can least afford to lose healthcare professionals.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:29 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

So that whole thing in Queensland about doctors not being up to scratch ...?

Easy tiger, I'd never bash immigrants, being one myself. I'm bashing the way it has happened in the UK.

As for the NHS, true, it runs on immigrant workers, just like the Aussie health system. Unfortunately the Aussie health system takes from the UK and the UK takes from Africa, where they can least afford to lose healthcare professionals.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I think Wales has its own parliamentry assembly since devolution, same with Scotland and N.Ireland (at times).

Katie
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Sure, but I would argue a much stronger sense of national identity
I'll not disagree with that

Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sam&molly
I am first and for-most British. When asked where I am from I always reply Britain. I always have done, as do the majority of my friends. I look to the union flag as my national flag, not the St George's flag.

Sam
Have you ever been to Scotland ,Wales or Northern Ireland?

I have met very few English who have ever been to Scotland and Wales far less Northern Ireland.Why would you want to belong to somewhere you have never been to and don't know anything about?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I must be unusual I have been to all parts of the UK and lived in N.Ireland as my hubby is from there. It is a beautifull country and I am very proud of it. "Where the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea" I must be getting sentimental.

Katie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.