Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

something to calm me down...

something to calm me down...

Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about
Default something to calm me down...

hi all,

as you might have read in previous threads, im not to good with flying (and then you meet 'the man' in australia...bright one, me... )
its not the flying itself that im afraid of - once we're taking off im fine, its the sitting and waiting for things to happen and people to get organised before take off...you know...when you feel everyone is really tense, when everyone's quiet and waiting :scared: ...dont know what it is, part claustrophobia, part something else probably cos im fine once the engines get fired up and all.

i've taken some 'natural calm-me-downers' before - but 'my' brand is no longer sold (either that or i cant find it anymore - dont know the name, only what the bottle looked like) and i'm looking for something else.
i've read about stuff with passionflower extract and something about 'rescue-remedies' but i'd like to know if anyone has any experience with either of them (and what these experiences are of course )

so, anyone? if there's anything else (natural) you use to keep those nerves from flying all over the place - please let me know too!

thanks, tanja
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice
Talking Re: something to calm me down...

Originally Posted by sunny side up
hi all,

as you might have read in previous threads, im not to good with flying (and then you meet 'the man' in australia...bright one, me... )
its not the flying itself that im afraid of - once we're taking off im fine, its the sitting and waiting for things to happen and people to get organised before take off...you know...when you feel everyone is really tense, when everyone's quiet and waiting :scared: ...dont know what it is, part claustrophobia, part something else probably cos im fine once the engines get fired up and all.

i've taken some 'natural calm-me-downers' before - but 'my' brand is no longer sold (either that or i cant find it anymore - dont know the name, only what the bottle looked like) and i'm looking for something else.
i've read about stuff with passionflower extract and something about 'rescue-remedies' but i'd like to know if anyone has any experience with either of them (and what these experiences are of course )

so, anyone? if there's anything else (natural) you use to keep those nerves from flying all over the place - please let me know too!

thanks, tanja
Have you tried hypnotherapy

not as a gimicky thing just a self taught very deep relaxation
havnt used it for flying but have for other things and i beleive if you are open to it it works. My eldest daughter is going to see a hypnotist to try and rid her of her fe ar of spiders before we go so i will post how she gets on

best wishes mary
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: something to calm me down...

Have you thought of taking a compilation of your favourite music to play on a minidisc or MP3 player? A talking book could also work.

I realise you have to switch electronic stuff off before takeoff but maybe conditioning your mind to be relaxed with a certain album (i.e. repeatedly playing it in relaxing situations before you fly) might help a bit?

Maybe something to occupy the mind might help too, a crossword or similar mind-game?

I don't suffer myself so kick me if this stuff sounds ridiculous! I believe there are courses that you can take that help explain what all the strange noises you hear are too (e.g. the cargo doors closing, electronic generators starting, etc).

Maybe understanding the mechanics of getting a plane going will help?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

hi all,

thanks, tanja

Skin up beore entering aiport, large drinks in departure lounge and get funky with the monkey in the loos next to the flight gate, usually does the trick.

LOL
Thrud
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:16 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

thanks, tanja
Hi just done a search and found this:

Fear of flying
The Bach flower remedy Mimulus is said to be good for fear of flying (as well as fear of crowds, strange places and new people). For general fears about travel, Bach Rescue Remedy is a safe bet. There are many different homeopathic remedies for fear, including Arsenicum (fear of death), Borax (fear of downward movement), Arg Nit (irrational fear).

:scared: hope its useful

Kay
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Thrud
Skin up beore entering aiport, large drinks in departure lounge and get funky with the monkey in the loos next to the flight gate, usually does the trick.

LOL
Thrud

I got pi**ed on a flight last year, when we landed and they opened the doors the air hit me and i fell down the stairs,
Hubby had to help me through the airport. Would'nt recommend it !!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

thanks you all - i'll defo give the mimulus a try then - your description fits perfectly possoms - strange places, crowds and new people - not something i'm normally bothered with but it does when i'm nervous and emotional (and i guess i will be, leaving the family behind at the airport )

if you dont mind harveyhare, i think i'll give your solution a miss...havent seen the man for almost six months and he might expect something more of me than having to carry me home....

tanja
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:10 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

if you dont mind harveyhare, i think i'll give your solution a miss...havent seen the man for almost six months and he might expect something more of me than having to carry me home....

tanja
LOL thats what i thought when i was going out to my fella he had been out there six months but by the time i got there (i flew out on my own couldn't get an aisle or a window seat and was stuck between a REALLY BIG bloke and a teenager who played video games non stop with his elbow permenantly stuck in me ) i was that knackered i slept all day don't think my other half was impressed my advice is to take a mild sleeping tablet and don't watch too many in flight movies they play constantly and keep you awake
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by harveyhare
I got pi**ed on a flight last year, when we landed and they opened the doors the air hit me and i fell down the stairs,
Hubby had to help me through the airport. Would'nt recommend it !!

Well you only did one third of the recommended preflight prep, hope you didnt hurt anything.

Thrud
(doobie dooby doo)
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:46 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

hi all,

thanks, tanja
Valarian Root...works for me and you can get it anywhere...I'd say for major stress out take more than it says on the bottle...well its natural herb so it aint going to kill ya...I use it for sleeping...this is also well recommended for 20 odd hours flying...before you know it your there...! And you dont get much jet lag if youve slept most of the way...
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:50 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

its not the flying itself that im afraid of ...
Me too. Its the falling out of the sky from 7 miles up and being smashed into tiny pieces on a mountain that I am scared of
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppi
well its natural herb so it aint going to kill ya..
A bit of a generalisation :scared:

There are lots of 'natural herbs' that can kill you.

Any herbal medicine has the capacity to do you harm if misused.

G
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:58 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

thanks, tanja
Bach Rescue Remedy is a go'er...
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:01 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

hi all,

thanks, tanja
sounds exactly like my other half.
we have narrowed it down to the fact the she gets excited too much which then starts all the weird feelings
ive realised that if i take all the excitement away then she normally is ok by take off ...

eg - we get to the airport as early as possible and find a seat and plonk ourselves down, just peope watch and so far by the time our flight gate opens for us to check in she is normally so bored off the whole thing that she seems fine and is very happy ...

she has also tried loads of "drugs" but none seem to tackle the excitement bit !

just try and make the day as normal as possible and good luck ..
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:02 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough

hi all,

thanks, tanja

Hi Tanja,

Got through four labours on Bach's Rescue Remedy! Still use it instead of the vodka when the little darlings driving me nuts!!! Works everytime, and on the kids when flying......youngest who is like a 'she-devil' slept for 10 hours (on my lap whilst I worried about my DVT!!!!!)

Phil x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.