Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Someone who has done it!!

Someone who has done it!!

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Someone who has done it!!

Well, I promised myself when we moved to Australia I would keep coming on the forum and re-pay in some way the wealth of information given to me by other people. Sadly I have neglected to do this and just logged on for the first time in ages.
I see the usual negative nellies are still hanging around getting there kicks by peeing on people's bar b que's. I can remember times (being already worried) I would read one of their posts and feel literally sick with fear at this crazy thing I was doing. Well if you have 5 minutes and you want to read go ahead!

We arrived in Sydney on October 9th 2002. We rented a temporary residence for 5 weeks and quickly bought a car. After looking around and talking and listening to everyone we met, we found a 6 months rental of a 2 bedroom flat in Balmain. A lovely Sydney suberb very vibrant and close to the City but far enough away to be quiet. We insisted on use of a pool and a gym, which we have hardly used and we pay $430 a week for the privalage. As it turns out it was a mistake but we were in Sydney young and foolish and we wanted to start off the way we had dreamt.

My Husband Terry had a job to come to on a temp 3 months contract and has subsequently been made permanent - by the way we came in on an independant Visa not through his work.
I started temping for an agency called Drake who have loads and loads of work and within about 6 - 8 weeks the bank who I was working for have taken me on permanent. The wages are not as good as I was on in the UK but then nor are the costs. I came from Jersey and we have a high cost of living there. My leave is 4 weeks plus 1 day a month so thats 6 weeks 2 days an awful lot better than my last job!!

Its raining like mad outside, its not paradise but for the most part we had a lovely summer and now we are heading into Autumn its a bit cooler but we still go out in shorts and T shirt when we are not at work.

We have just found a 4 bedroom house with a pool which we have bought in a town called Wymoning on the Central Coast. Yes we have to commute, around 1 hour 15 each way but isn't that what thousands of people do in the UK everyday... do they get to relax by their pool in the sunshine most weekends??
I know in Jersey we would never ever ever have had this chance.
We sold a 3 bed small semi in Jersey which had a fair mortgage on it, with my subsidised mortgage and no bank costs from work our mortgage will set us back about 2 schooners of VB a week each!! I can't believe it.

We have made some great friends since we have been here.
We are friendly with a couple from the forum, Sandra and Andy ( if you are reading this sorry we have not been in touch for a while - mad busy) See, I really don't have enough time to see the friends we have made as much as I would love to.

We have had a great Christmas break in Nelson Bay up the coast and 2 weeks ago went to see the Melbourne Grand Prix.
We have seen The Red Hot Chilli Peppers and The Rolling Stones, watched England beat the Aussies at the Cricket and seen Mamma Mia.
I have stroked Koalas, held baby Wombats and cuddled kangaroos.
I have seen 1 spider at the garden centre!
We eat out or get takeaways at least twice a week and go to the pub when we like.
Our salad/fruit/ veg stays fresh in the fridge for ages, having come from Jersey where they shipped the best stuff out, I can't believe this, I hardly throw anything away.

I find the Aussies to be warm and friendly and really have only experienced a problem once when we were in the pub and some local men were having a conversation and I actually butted in cos I was interested in the Topic of conversation, they looked at me and looked away, I hardly blame them.

Terry is sitting watching his adopted team Australia winning the world cup cricket. We really couldn't be any happier.

When we left Jersey people couldn't believe what we were giving up, a beautiful home, great friends, family, and enough money that we could go where we liked and do what we want.
We always said "we don't want more we just want different"
it became our catch phrase.
Well really all that we don't have is our UK friends and our family's the rest is all here and more. This is a fantastic Country and the opportunities are there so grab them with both hands.
To all of you who are waiting for the postman, I hope he delivers soon. Come and give it a try, there is nothing to say you can't go back.... i'm just sure you wont want to.
Hope this helps
Love Nicki.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, its always refreshing to read about someone who is doing and liking it. !
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Someone who has done it!!

Originally posted by jasmin
Well, I promised myself when we moved to Australia I would keep coming on the forum and re-pay in some way the wealth of information given to me by other people. Sadly I have neglected to do this and just logged on for the first time in ages.
I see the usual negative nellies are still hanging around getting there kicks by peeing on people's bar b que's. I can remember times (being already worried) I would read one of their posts and feel literally sick with fear at this crazy thing I was doing. Well if you have 5 minutes and you want to read go ahead!

We arrived in Sydney on October 9th 2002. We rented a temporary residence for 5 weeks and quickly bought a car. After looking around and talking and listening to everyone we met, we found a 6 months rental of a 2 bedroom flat in Balmain. A lovely Sydney suberb very vibrant and close to the City but far enough away to be quiet. We insisted on use of a pool and a gym, which we have hardly used and we pay $430 a week for the privalage. As it turns out it was a mistake but we were in Sydney young and foolish and we wanted to start off the way we had dreamt.

My Husband Terry had a job to come to on a temp 3 months contract and has subsequently been made permanent - by the way we came in on an independant Visa not through his work.
I started temping for an agency called Drake who have loads and loads of work and within about 6 - 8 weeks the bank who I was working for have taken me on permanent. The wages are not as good as I was on in the UK but then nor are the costs. I came from Jersey and we have a high cost of living there. My leave is 4 weeks plus 1 day a month so thats 6 weeks 2 days an awful lot better than my last job!!

Its raining like mad outside, its not paradise but for the most part we had a lovely summer and now we are heading into Autumn its a bit cooler but we still go out in shorts and T shirt when we are not at work.

We have just found a 4 bedroom house with a pool which we have bought in a town called Wymoning on the Central Coast. Yes we have to commute, around 1 hour 15 each way but isn't that what thousands of people do in the UK everyday... do they get to relax by their pool in the sunshine most weekends??
We sold a 3 bed small semi in Jersey which had a fair mortgage on it, with my subsidised mortgage and no bank costs from work our mortgage will set us back about 2 schooners of VB a week each!! I can't believe it.

We are friendly with a couple from the forum, Sandra and Andy ( if you are reading this sorry we have not been in touch for a while - mad busy) See, I really don't have enough time to see the friends we have made as much as I would love to.

We have had a great Christmas break in Nelson Bay up the coast and 2 weeks ago went to see the Melbourne Grand Prix.
We have seen The Red Hot Chilli Peppers and The Rolling Stones, watched England beat the Aussies at the Cricket and seen Mamma Mia.
I have stroked Koalas, held baby Wombats and cuddled kangaroos.
I have seen 1 spider at the garden centre!
We eat out or get takeaways at least twice a week and go to the pub when we like.
Our salad/fruit/ veg stays fresh in the fridge for ages, having come from Jersey where they shipped the best stuff out, I can't believe this, I hardly throw anything away.

I find the Aussies to be warm and friendly and really have only experienced a problem once when we were in the pub and some local men were having a conversation and I actually butted in cos I was interested in the Topic of conversation, they looked at me and looked away, I hardly blame them.

Terry is sitting watching his adopted team Australia winning the world cup cricket. We really couldn't be any happier.

When we left Jersey people couldn't believe what we were giving up, a beautiful home, great friends, family, and enough money that we could go where we liked and do what we want.
Well really all that we don't have is our UK friends and our family's the rest is all here and more. This is a fantastic Country and the opportunities are there so grab them with both hands.
To all of you who are waiting for the postman, I hope he delivers soon. Come and give it a try, there is nothing to say you can't go back.... i'm just sure you wont want to.
Hope this helps
Love Nicki.

Thanks very much - you have confirmed my view that people who go to Aus and like it are too busy having a great time to come on this forum and whinge! I too have read all the negative posts and spent days worrying whether we are doing the right thing, but I think if you go with the right attitude and for the right reasons you will make a success of it. Good luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear from you Nicki, and that you are enjoying your life out there.

We are heading out to Melbourne in 3 weeks and feel really excited - plus a little nervous, it must be said!
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

BJKLiffey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grotbags
Great to hear from you Nicki, and that you are enjoying your life out there.

We are heading out to Melbourne in 3 weeks and feel really excited - plus a little nervous, it must be said!
Grotbags,

Where abouts in melbourne are you going , as that is were we are intending to go. Have you somehwere to stay???

Karen & Brendan
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen and Brendan,

I say Melbourne but we will probably be settling in the Mornington Peninsula. We have just booked a b and b for the 1st few days after we arrive, so we have somewhere to go, and then we will suss out the rental situation from there. When are you heading out there?

Debbie
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thank you for keeping in touch, we all need to hear the good stories, especially as all we get at the moment are bad!!

Great to hear that life is good out there, I hope we enjoy it at much as you two.

Keep in touch

Tina
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Nicky, for taking the time to post I am sure it will help put many peoples minds at rest who were worrying about the negative nellies sad stories. It was good to hear you are making a good life there, do'nt leave it so long for the next installment.

Cheers

Terry
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 9:51 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for taking the time to post Nicki. It's great to have feedback from those that have actually got there.

Back to waiting for the postman, hopefully not long now.

Please keep posting, it really helps.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks nicky, its nice to read such a possitive story, with a happy ending.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 3:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps
Love Nicki.

Nice to hear the bank treats you so well shame it does not us customers , your extra day off is a rosta day off is it not?
a great con here work 40 hours and get and extra day off per month saves o/t payments.
Your food sounds far better than the kack we get in WA thats half rotten before we buy it must live in a different country.
Nice to hear you get to see a lot of Australia on the way to work makes for an 11 hour day or near it great fun.
The pool life last 4 months per year even then most get bored of it , this post sounds like the kind of bull that most write home in the first year .
PS you seem very well up on the weather seeing that you have not seen a winter here yet.
Good luck.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 24th 2003 at 11:20 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

I wondered how long it would take for you to crawl out of your hole. You really are a sad idiot.
If you hate it that much, tuff you made a bad choice its no one on here's fault
Old Mar 24th 2003, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Yes it is called a Rosta day off at the bank and I get paid by the hour so I don't iss out and they can call it what they like I only know its loads more than I got in the UK.
Besides with no mortage here I work cos I want to not cos I have to. How great does that feel.
And its all made better by the fact that you are miserable and so devoid of hope
Old Mar 24th 2003, 4:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered how long it would take for you to crawl out of your hole. You really are a sad idiot.
If you hate it that much, tuff you made a bad choice its no one on here's fault
Having read yor post I have no doult on which of us is an idiot its the best bit of fiction I've read in ages half truths without facts great reading.
I do not hate it here but am far more truthful than some.

Old Mar 24th 2003, 4:11 am
Banned

Yes it is called a Rosta day off at the bank and I get paid by the hour so I don't iss out and they can call it what they like I only know its loads more than I got in the UK.
Besides with no mortage here I work cos I want to not cos I have to. How great does that feel.
And its all made better by the fact that you are miserable and so devoid of hope
Look I got 7 weeks a year in the UK and my wife 9 weeks holiday plus 6 months sick pay , you get 4 weeks the rest is unpaid o/t which you work for pray tell us about your sick pay?
You work because they pay you why waste 11 hours a day?
I am laughing right now at your naive bull , send me an Email in a couple of years time we will both be back in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.