Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Someone asked me why today

Someone asked me why today

Old Jun 26th 2005, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Default Someone asked me why today

Why pack it all in and go off to Oz was a question I was asked today...... For me its the children and I really do mean that..... Yes I can hear the argument, "we were all raised here and it didn't do us any harm, right"? But its all changed now and I don't like what I see... We're an ordinary family, just trying to get by and do the right thing....... Education????? What happenend to going to the local comp and getting a good reasonable education? .. Instead its all about catchment areas and statistics.... Its bloody frightening!!!!! Lets face it this boat is so full of holes that as quick as you plug one, another starts to leak.

From what I can gather from this site, and I've read more than I've posted, there's a fair amount of disillusioned people out there...We all expect a little more from life, and it ain't too much to ask..... We are all mostly hard working, tax paying, honest people, eking out an existence, fed up with being lied to, squeezed, milked and then hung out to dry.

Will it be any better over there?? Truth is, I don't know, but if things don't work out as planned then at least we would have given it a go.... I've looked over the fence and the grass does seem a little greener over there, so I for one am going to give it a munch.... and hey if it taste's of piss.. so what... because that shiny new bucket with the same old S**T in it looks a hell of a lot better over there than it does here.

And so endith the lesson
Old Jun 26th 2005, 8:16 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Someone asked me why today

Originally Posted by cypry
Why pack it all in and go off to Oz was a question I was asked today...... For me its the children and I really do mean that..... Yes I can hear the argument, "we were all raised here and it didn't do us any harm, right"? But its all changed now and I don't like what I see... We're an ordinary family, just trying to get by and do the right thing....... Education????? What happenend to going to the local comp and getting a good reasonable education? .. Instead its all about catchment areas and statistics.... Its bloody frightening!!!!! Lets face it this boat is so full of holes that as quick as you plug one, another starts to leak.

From what I can gather from this site, and I've read more than I've posted, there's a fair amount of disillusioned people out there...We all expect a little more from life, and it ain't too much to ask..... We are all mostly hard working, tax paying, honest people, eking out an existence, fed up with being lied to, squeezed, milked and then hung out to dry.

Will it be any better over there?? Truth is, I don't know, but if things don't work out as planned then at least we would have given it a go.... I've looked over the fence and the grass does seem a little greener over there, so I for one am going to give it a munch.... and hey if it taste's of piss.. so what... because that shiny new bucket with the same old S**T in it looks a hell of a lot better over there than it does here.

And so endith the lesson

Good for you mate!!! I hope it all works out for you all........
Jim
Old Jun 26th 2005, 8:37 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

And so endith the lesson
EXACTLY! Couldn't have said it better myself!
Karma!

Claire
x
Old Jun 26th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

And so endith the lesson

Yep - I will go along with those sentiments
Old Jun 26th 2005, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice

And so endith the lesson

ditto
Old Jun 26th 2005, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

I tend to reply "Why Not?", i.e. if you have the opportunity, and can face a challenge, then why not give it a go? If it doesn't really work out after a couple of years, then returning certainly is an option and there's no shame in that. You are not moving to the Moon!
Old Jun 26th 2005, 10:52 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by Storini
I tend to reply "Why Not?", i.e. if you have the opportunity, and can face a challenge, then why not give it a go? If it doesn't really work out after a couple of years, then returning certainly is an option and there's no shame in that. You are not moving to the Moon!
No, its more like moving to Mars well the outback looks like Mars.

Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Great post - I agree with every bit of that
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

I was at a family funeral on Friday-being grilled over the same question-why are you going? My feelings are pretty much similar to the first thread-why not? We have three sons and are very concerned about what they are growing up to? Aus may not have greener grass,but hey at least we're trying to have a better life-for all of us! And quite rightly sooo,that if In a couple of years it hasn't worked-at least we can all say we did it! Not like millions of others who are happy to make do! I see us as the strong ones with the get up and go!
Good luck to all and go for it !!!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:56 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

And so endith the lesson
Great post, K sent
as for education, one teacher in my daughters comprehensive speaks no english and the school are paying an interpreter as well as the teacher, another teacher thinks it's ok to swear at children, fed up of banging my head up against a brick wall at my daughters school
Carole
Old Jun 27th 2005, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

And so endith the lesson
Fantastic, couldn't have put it better myself.

We are off to Brisbane when the house is sold and the sooner the better, for exactly the same reasons as you.

Paula.
Warrington, Cheshire.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:29 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

And so endith the lesson
nice one! yeah couldnt agree more, Our main answer to all the people who ask WHY? is that we dont want to get to our mid 50's and be sitting on our settee staring out the window in the pissing rain saying 'ooh yeah we thought we'd got once but we didnt...' we are gonna give it our best shot-you have to make your own luck in this world! and best of luck to all brave enough to go for thier dream!!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had anyone say "why?" Everyone just says "don't blame you". But the answer would have to be "why not?" We now get "when are you going?" we say "when the house is sold" they then say "have you booked your flights yet?" FFS! "No we haven't sold the house yet" Why don't people listen
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

And so endith the lesson

Ahmen brother
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:48 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

And so endith the lesson

Oh yes totally agree, had the same s@*t said to me in an attempt to keep me in the job i do, but when you've been offered the same work in a land a little greener, then as you so rightly say lets munch the grass.PMSL

Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.