Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somebody Help Me Please!!!!!!!

Somebody Help Me Please!!!!!!!

Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all
Default Somebody Help Me Please!!!!!!!

Hi everyone

I'm becoming a mad women!!!!

Everything moving nicely with application - medicals done - waiting on response back from ASPC. Dont see any problems however. Planning to book my tickets to Perth at the beginning of next year for June.

Getting really restless in my job!!!!! (worked there for 8 years). Just been offered a new job with more money and not sure whether to take it. I NEED TO LET THEM KNOW TOMORROW!!!! I told the new employer the truth - and said that I may be going to Perth in 8-10 months (white lie!!!) - more like 6 months! I thought he would say that he would withdraw his offer - but he said I was the best person for the job - and he still wants me to join the Company.

My existing employer said he would match my salary - but not until March!!! He doesnt know about the Oz thing. If I do stay there after creating so much fuss - he might be angry when I do hand in my notice.

HELP PLEASE - WILL IT BE REALLY STRESSFUL STARTING A NEW JOB WHEN PLANNING TO EMIGRATE IN THE FINAL 6 MONTHS - OR DO I GO WITH THE FLOW - AND EARN THE EXTRA CASH (TO HELP TOWARDS OZ).

Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:23 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somebody Help Me Please!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Hi everyone

Everything moving nicely with application - medicals done - waiting on response back from ASPC. Dont see any problems however. Planning to book my tickets to Perth at the beginning of next year for June.

Getting really restless in my job!!!!! (worked there for 8 years). Just been offered a new job with more money and not sure whether to take it. I NEED TO LET THEM KNOW TOMORROW!!!! I told the new employer the truth - and said that I may be going to Perth in 8-10 months (white lie!!!) - more like 6 months! I thought he would say that he would withdraw his offer - but he said I was the best person for the job - and he still wants me to join the Company.

My existing employer said he would match my salary - but not until March!!! He doesnt know about the Oz thing. If I do stay there after creating so much fuss - he might be angry when I do hand in my notice.

HELP PLEASE - WILL IT BE REALLY STRESSFUL STARTING A NEW JOB WHEN PLANNING TO EMIGRATE IN THE FINAL 6 MONTHS - OR DO I GO WITH THE FLOW - AND EARN THE EXTRA CASH (TO HELP TOWARDS OZ).

Stay with you existing employer....you will not even put a dint in your new job in six months. Eight years employment and progression within that employment is music to the ears of most hiring managers and HR managers.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

Oh wow

How much more money?? Depends whether the stress is worth the extra cash, with the added stress of moving. Having said that, moving jobs after 8yrs, may be good practice for when you change jobs in OZ. I took a job in NZ after 7yrs, and no matter how open minded you try to be, it is all so different being completely out of your comfort zone.

Good luck though with your decision, its sods law eh
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

It's £3,000 - about £220 net per month!

That's not bad - I'm not on the best money in the world.....
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

Just thinking if i had the same offer....Stay, its so much less hassle, and I agree with Busterboy, after 8yrs in my job, I feel its asset to an employer to have consistency and a wealth of experience in your field.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

So its over grand extra until you leave, sounds good. Guess you have to ask yourself whether the gain can offset the stress????

I'm staying put, easier for references also, they know me, also extra work if i need it.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:40 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I would stay where I was ...think of the stress of a new employment...if you didn't like it and you have all the stress of immigrating...I think £3000 is not a lot to stop real stress, stick with your comfort zone.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you - but if I stick where I am - dont you think that my job will be angry when I actually do hand my notice in for real in 4 months.... (after all the fuss I've now caused)
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Hi Laura

Think if it was me I would stick it out with existing company especially if I was quite comfortable where I was and given that you are looking to only be here for another 6 months. Think if you were intending to move to Oz later than June would probably consider the new job.

I have just been "moved" from my current post to another after 8 years due to a restructuring and feel totally outwith my comfort zone at the moment. The other part is that I knew my other job inside out and didn't need much motivation to keep at it whereas I feel I can't really get into this new job as I am only hoping to be here for another 5 or 6 months. Might feel the same for you if you took the new job.

It's a tough call that really only you can make. Good luck cos it ain't easy. Sending you some karma.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:47 pm
A rather curious boy

Thank you - but if I stick where I am - dont you think that my job will be angry when I actually do hand my notice in for real in 4 months.... (after all the fuss I've now caused)
It is your perogative to have a life and your employer will get over it! I am PM-ing you too!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Is it normal to feel so unsettled at the current time - does this happen to most people.

It's almost like I get by each day - waiting for something to happen.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:49 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by Scotschick
Hi Laura

Think if it was me I would stick it out with existing company especially if I was quite comfortable where I was and given that you are looking to only be here for another 6 months. Think if you were intending to move to Oz later than June would probably consider the new job.

I have just been "moved" from my current post to another after 8 years due to a restructuring and feel totally outwith my comfort zone at the moment. The other part is that I knew my other job inside out and didn't need much motivation to keep at it whereas I feel I can't really get into this new job as I am only hoping to be here for another 5 or 6 months. Might feel the same for you if you took the new job.

It's a tough call that really only you can make. Good luck cos it ain't easy. Sending you some karma.
Nice post....I did something similar and it is very difficult to build up the commitment to a new job and tackle the learning curve when you think that you are on 'the outs'!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Is it normal to feel so unsettled at the current time - does this happen to most people.

It's almost like I get by each day - waiting for something to happen.

Hi Laura yeah I think feeling unsettled is completely normal. Life kinda on hold waiting word of the latest news re the visa. I know my thoughts are pre-occupied with all things Oz and have been for ages. I think if you are struggling to make this decision that kinda tells you something. Hang in there and good luck with whatever you decide. Donna & Neil