Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some Tips for living in OZ:

Some Tips for living in OZ:

Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:52 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Some Tips for living in OZ:

1. Sick of Aus tv? Pining for the Eastenders (from last night, not 18 months ago if you`re lucky enough to have Foxtel)
- get yourself Broadband (best option listed below).
- register as a member at www.uknova.com (keep on trying till they have a space for you if it`s full).
- download and install a bit-torrent p2p client (Azureus is good).
- start downloading your fave English tv. It`s great
- Unless you want to watch stuff on your pc, buy a dvd player that also plays divx, avi etc. We bought a `DK 915` from ebuyer.co.uk before we came out. It doesn`t seem to be sold there anymore. You can get dvd/divx/avi playes cheaply on ebay.com.au too.

2. Broadband.
- start of by going to http://www.whirlpool.net.au/ and doing your research.
- for me, the best price/performance was Exetel .
- NEVER sign up with Telstra, whatever you do, unless you love being bent over.
- buy your own modem. You can get a 4-port router for as little as $80.

3. Got kids and after a decent sized car?
- Check out http://www.delicaclub.com . The Delica is the best MPV you can get (imho).
- it`s an import, but ALL the parts are available here, as it`s a Pajero chassis and engine with a Starwagon shell.
- You can get one from $15,000 .

4. Money.
- Police & Nurses (if you`re in W.A.). http://www.pncs.com.au/
- ING is great for savings accounts. http://www.ingdirect.com.au/personal/savings_max.htm#

Last edited by Stormz; Oct 7th 2005 at 7:26 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:58 am
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some Tips for living in OZ:

Originally Posted by Stormz
1. Sick of Aus tv? Pining for the Eastenders (from last night, not 18 months ago if you`re lucky enough to have Foxtel)
- register as a member at www.uknova.com (keep on trying till they have a space for you if it`s full).

2. Broadband.
- start of by going to http://www.whirlpool.net.au/ and doing your research.
- for me, the best price/performance was Exetel .
- NEVER sign up with Telstra, whatever you do, unless you love being bent over.
- buy your own modem. You can get a 4-port router for as little as $80.

3. Got kids and after a decent sized car?
- Check out http://www.delicaclub.com . The Delica is the best MPV you can get (imho).
- it`s an import, but ALL the parts are available here, as it`s a Pajero chassis and engine with a Starwagon shell.
- You can get one from $15,000 .

4. Money.
- Police & Nurses (if you`re in W.A.). http://www.pncs.com.au/
- ING is great for savings accounts. http://www.ingdirect.com.au/personal/savings_max.htm#
Have saved all 3 sites with thanks x

Vics x
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

UK TV tip sounds good in theory but tried www.uknova.com and all I keep getting is

"Sorry, this site is not open for public use".

Unless its a sh*te site the only explanation I can possibly think of is because I'm still in the UK.

Anybody else have this problem ? I cant do without my Coronation Street !!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:09 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eintracht
UK TV tip sounds good in theory but tried www.uknova.com and all I keep getting is

"Sorry, this site is not open for public use".

Unless its a sh*te site the only explanation I can possibly think of is because I'm still in the UK.

Anybody else have this problem ? I cant do without my Coronation Street !!
I don`t know what`s going wrong with your pc or connection (but something is). The link is valid and I got to the site without a problem. Try it at a friends house. Also, nothing to do with being in the UK, as most of the people on there are in the UK (someone has to record the programs). I think you`ve got your pc playing nanny over what sites you go to or something... check your security settings (browser and firewall if you have one).
Failing that, download a decent browser (firefox): http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

UKnova definitely works. How else would I know that on Tuesday night Chrissie told whatshisname that she had killed Den. (?). I d/l the Eastenders for my wife and her parents (In Oz Barry just got killed btw). I also d/l teh Championship for my father-in-law and me (S`ton you see). Some great specials... can`t wait to see the Horizon Tsunami one tonight.

Oh, one thing I forgot about playing them... I`ll edit my original post and add it.

Last edited by Stormz; Oct 7th 2005 at 7:13 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

thanks for this, will save this one.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I don`t know what`s going wrong with your pc or connection (but something is). The link is valid and I got to the site without a problem. Try it at a friends house. Also, nothing to do with being in the UK, as most of the people on there are in the UK (someone has to record the programs). I think you`ve got your pc playing nanny over what sites you go to or something... check your security settings (browser and firewall if you have one).
Failing that, download a decent browser (firefox): http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

UKnova definitely works. How else would I know that on Tuesday night Chrissie told whatshisname that she had killed Den. (?). I d/l the Eastenders for my wife and her parents (In Oz Barry just got killed btw). I also d/l teh Championship for my father-in-law and me (S`ton you see). Some great specials... can`t wait to see the Horizon Tsunami one tonight.

Oh, one thing I forgot about playing them... I`ll edit my original post and add it.
Yea, it's working - but membership is probably full. Most of these torrent sites cap their membership databases and I seem to recall UKnova doing this in the past, because my account got deleted and I had to wait to rejoin. Worth checking regularly though, because you never know when they'll go through the dead-wood and thin out the numbers. I would say if you plan to use that particular site, to make sure you have a good upload ratio because they *will* delete you if you just leech (speak from experience here). http://www.potuk.com is another good site - but has downloads for everything - not just TV.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:14 pm
Superfreak!!

Another couple of tips:

- Bring your fridge over from the UK. Prices are horrendous here. Bring it even if you risk customs (if it`s an older fridge with the different gas). Chances are they won`t check it anyway. It`s worth the risk. The only possible real concern is whether UK fridges would last as long in the Aus environment (as I`ve heard they don`t, but that may be rubbish). We had to buy a 660 litre fridge for $1600 (on special). Would have preferred to have had our Hotpoint over for the minimal cost in the shipping.
- If you`ve got a decent lounge suite, bring it too. Prices start from $1500 for a half-decent lounge suite here (from $2300 for leather).
- Bring your tv.
- Bring everything you like!

Of course, if you sold your house for zillions in the UK then you can afford to go and splurge on all brand new stuff for your new house. We would rather have saved the money though.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything you like!
This is good advice. Bring everything. Anything you don't need , you can sell when you get here. Aussies like buying 2nd hand stuff & you can get good prices for it. You should see some of the absolute crap people sell (& people buy) at garage sales.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Aussies like buying 2nd hand stuff & you can get good prices for it. You should see some of the absolute crap people sell (& people buy) at garage sales.
I agree with that.
When we moved from Sydney to Brisbane, we sold a load of stuff at our garage sale, and got very good prices.
We even sold our old fridge, it had travelled from Aus to UK and back again, so must have been well over 6 years old, and we got back almost enough to replace it with a similar type, new !!
You have to have the guts to ask for ridiculous prices though, but it can be worth it

Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Good advice!
we bought everything - my partner moaned about it at the time but he is glad we did now - not only for the cost but for familiarity too. also over the time it took to get the visas we bought lots of stuff in the sales e.g.sunglasses summer wear (Next especially good) BBQ acc from asda/b&q etc etc It was like xmas when we opened all the new stuff up over here and we didnt have to dip into our savings!
Karen
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Some Tips for living in OZ:

Originally Posted by karenjc
It was like xmas when we opened all the new stuff up over here and we didnt have to dip into our savings!
Karen
Did you get charged any import duty or have to prove that things were not chargeable at all?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

No charges apart from the standard ones that we all get.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>1. Sick of Aus tv? Pining for the Eastenders (from last night, not 18 months ago if you`re lucky enough to have Foxtel)
- Unless you want to watch stuff on your pc, buy a dvd player that also plays divx, avi etc. We bought a `DK 915` from ebuyer.co.uk before we came out. It doesn`t seem to be sold there anymore. You can get dvd/divx/avi playes cheaply on ebay.com.au too.
<<

Just a cautionary note: I see that it's estimated that 60% of P2P computers are infested with virii, and that P2P networks are the best way for those creatures that get their kicks from writing them, to spread them.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:15 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
>>1. Sick of Aus tv? Pining for the Eastenders (from last night, not 18 months ago if you`re lucky enough to have Foxtel)
<<

Just a cautionary note: I see that it's estimated that 60% of P2P computers are infested with virii, and that P2P networks are the best way for those creatures that get their kicks from writing them, to spread them.

couldn"t agrEe more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1~~~~~ LOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~~ ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 HACK YOUUUUUUU~~~ .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~~~~ OLOLOLOLO.. jujni0r haOrs love tEhse places and rey on all TEh innocent dewdz that use Tehm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~ LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL~~~ ge some good firewall and vIruz rec0Gnitionn warez befroe you even start!!!!!~~~~~~
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
couldn"t agrEe more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1~~~~~ LOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~~ ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 HACK YOUUUUUUU~~~ .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~~~~ OLOLOLOLO.. jujni0r haOrs love tEhse places and rey on all TEh innocent dewdz that use Tehm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~ LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL~~~ ge some good firewall and vIruz rec0Gnitionn warez befroe you even start!!!!!~~~~~~
well i see someone forgot their medication this morning!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.