British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Some Sydney questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/some-sydney-questions-470345/)

MartinH Jul 31st 2007 8:14 am

Some Sydney questions

I have been offered a job in Sydney (having originally expected that we might go to Melbourne) and have accepted the offer. I honestly know very little about Sydney having only had one very short (four day) trip there about three years ago.

My questions are (I'm afraid) the usual ones!

We have two Children who will be aged 12 (boy) and 16 (girl) when we arrive. We are thinking of putting them into independent (i.e. fee paying) school. We do not have any religious denominations but are keen that the children continue to learn German (we have lived in Germany for the last eight years).

In combination with the above is a question about suburbs which I guess goes hand in hand with that about schools. Ideally we want to live somewhere in easy commuting distance of the CBD (30 minutes). Somewhere with parks (for the dog) but within shot of the beaches, and where we can get a house for around AU$ 1.0 million. Easy really :o

Any recommendations of particular schools or sources?

Jockstar Jul 31st 2007 9:03 am

Re: Some Sydney questions

Eastern suburbs. Randwick, Coogee, Bronte etc.

mollymoo Jul 31st 2007 10:19 am

Originally Posted by MartinH (Post 5127979)
I have been offered a job in Sydney (having originally expected that we might go to Melbourne) and have accepted the offer. I honestly know very little about Sydney having only had one very short (four day) trip there about three years ago.

My questions are (I'm afraid) the usual ones!

We have two Children who will be aged 12 (boy) and 16 (girl) when we arrive. We are thinking of putting them into independent (i.e. fee paying) school. We do not have any religious denominations but are keen that the children continue to learn German (we have lived in Germany for the last eight years).

In combination with the above is a question about suburbs which I guess goes hand in hand with that about schools. Ideally we want to live somewhere in easy commuting distance of the CBD (30 minutes). Somewhere with parks (for the dog) but within shot of the beaches, and where we can get a house for around AU$ 1.0 million. Easy really :o

Any recommendations of particular schools or sources?

Have PM'd you

NickyC Jul 31st 2007 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 5128164)
Eastern suburbs. Randwick, Coogee, Bronte etc.

I'd have said the east too except that you'll only get a VERY small house for $1m in Randwick or Coogee - only a semi or terrace. And not even a semi in Bronte, houses start well above $1m there.

Could check out Maroubra, Kingsford, Malabar though. Cheaper in that direction.

Alternatively, look at lower north shore around Naremburn, Willoughby, Northbridge. Lots of parks and private schools and relatively close to the city.

Trax Aug 1st 2007 3:04 am

Hi,

You could try the northern suburbs i.e from Killara to St. Ives or Wahroonga - basically anywhere along the train line going through Killara to Hornsby. They are all nice areas and are a reasonable commute into into the CBD. They have lots of parks (Wahroonga has a dog park which is good for meeting people too) and also quite a few independent schools. Some housing can be expensive, but there are places to be bought around the $1m mark if you look around, especially on the west side of the Pacific Highway.

Hope this helps

Trax