Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some questions for the wannabe\gonnabe expats

Some questions for the wannabe\gonnabe expats

Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:23 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some questions for the wannabe\gonnabe expats

My previous thread was for those that have already made the big jump. I'd now like to ask a few questions of those people in the process of making the big move to another land.

1) How long has the process taken and when and where are you going?
2) Whats your family unit and are they all happy about the move?
3) Why are you going?
4) How long are you intending to stay?
5) Has this site made you waiver in your decision? (i.e. did you have an unrealistic image which has been quashed?)
6) What has been your biggest realisation from the information that you have gained from this site?
7) Whats your favourite position (Oh sorry wrong forum)

Keep it clean people.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:27 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a secret job in the interogation unit that i should know about Mr G?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:34 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

1. started the process march 2002..so 18 months all together

2. family unit is me n hubby and 3 kids ages 18, 14 and 10yrs girls youngest two son eldest. they initially were very unhappy about it but have had a long time to get used to the idea now.

3. To sample life in a different country

4. Dont know...no fixed ideas about anything, going with an open mind...

5. Nope...interesting to see all views and experiences. having the internet has made it much easier actually . we were going to go 7 yrs ago and i chickened out half way through the process for lots of reasons but internet has certainly helped this time.

6. Dunno if there is any big realisation...I have met lots of people from this site which is nice and looking forward to meeting others but i also want to have ozzie mates too!!

7. naughty naughty.....erm sat around the kitchen table on a weekend having drinkie poos with our friends...will I fit in lol??!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:39 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some questions for the wannabe\gonnabe expats

Originally posted by HUP
My previous thread was for those that have already made the big jump. I'd now like to ask a few questions of those people in the process of making the big move to another land.

3) Why are you going?
5) Has this site made you waiver in your decision? (i.e. did you have an unrealistic image which has been quashed?)
6) What has been your biggest realisation from the information that you have gained from this site?

Keep it clean people.
Nein, nein, mein Kapitan, I will tell you everything! Kein mehr torture, bitte!

1. We started in about late summer 2001. Heading for NZ in 10 days.
2. 2 + 2 - wife a little wobbly until she saw NZ in March this year, now very keen. Kids happy but they are still on the young side!
3. It would take a long time to explain. Let's just say family happiness. Opportunity. Interest in new adventure. We can offer a lot to NZ and I'm sure it can offer a lot to us.
4. Minimum 3 years, hopefully a lifetime.
5. Nope. I took off the rose-tinted sunglasses myself after our 3 weeks in NZ this March.
6. NZ pays terrible wages to a far greater percentage of the population than Aus or UK or more or less anywhere in Europe. Better have some savings when you go there or be prepared to live more frugally.
7. The great outdoors! The 30 metres under club.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

1) We are on a "Long term Temporary" visa so started in May 2003

2) Just me and my Defacto spouse who is beside himself with excitement. All other family members have been sad but very supportive.

3) Chance to study and do a job I'd find difficult to get her (lecturing whilst studying) and to experience different culture and counrty.

4) 4 years on the temp visa and then apply for PR halfway through if we like it.

5) Definitely not, have a realistic approach and can be happy wherever I am, its a state of mind for me.

6) No "lightening bolt", just little things like take your mobile phone and other useful titbits. Have been surprised how nasty it all gets sometimes on a forum that promotes community and helpfulness, but maybe I'm being naive.

7) All of 'em!

Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

1. We began contact with the Agent last October, enlisted his services in Jan, compiled all the info needed for our skilled sponsored application and are just submitting the forms. Will probably live in Brisbane despite my sponsor living in Melbourne.
If we don't like Brissie we'll try somewhere else, maybe Perth. If we don't like OZ we'll be going to try NZ rather than come back to UK.

2. Me, wife, 3 kids 5,7,9. Wife is happy but scared, happier now that I've agreed to wait 3/4 years here while she does her Nurse Training. Kids? happy, excited, don't care, scared depending on the day but generally until it actually affects them they aren't affected by it!

3. Weather, lifestyle, dad died this time last year and thought "I'm not going to live in Birkenhead until I die, I'm off!"
Thought about going to NZ before we had kids about 12 years ago when I was made redundant.
My old man was in the Merchant Navy from age of 16 and went round the world 3 times. Furthest I've been is Turkey, Rhodes, Paris for holidays. Not quite the same is it?

4. For ever, maybe on to NZ.

5. Helped make me more realistic.

6. It ain't paradise.

7. CAD draughtsman !

Originally posted by HUP
3) Why are you going?

Keep it clean people.

Last edited by cadman; Sep 5th 2003 at 10:49 am.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

D'oh! Forgot to say the most important bit!

Going to Brisbane 3 weeks today
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:48 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP

3) Why are you going?

Keep it clean people.

1) Full process Skilled Independent has taken 9 months this includes organising an agent and getting Sean's trade assessed.
2)Sean is our main applicant (brickie) myself (Debbie) Amy 17 and Josh 12. Amy hated the idea initially and we had lots of very heated debates usually ending with me saying that if she wasn't going then neither could I
3)Because we visited in october last year loved the people, the fact that every where we went was so clean, no dogs roaming about and basically we were so disillusioned with the UK and feel the need for a change.
4)We have said regardless we will stay for 2 years (so we can get citizenship) and then rethink our position.
5) Don't think we have looked at it through rose tinted glasses and I realise a holiday is not the same as living somewhere year in year out but life is too short to not give it a fair go.
6)That selling a house in the Uk is pants.
7) Guess you'll never know

Debbie
Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously Heather hasn't given you enough work to do!

1 - Taken 8 months for the process but only 2 months of that was actually waiting for the spouse visa. Going to Melbourne in October if house sale works out.

2 - Family 2+1. The 1 is only 3 years old so has no idea.

3 - The usual reason - we want a better quality of life. More laid back people, better weather, better health care. Some time out of work has made us work shy and not keen to go back to the rat race again. Really like spending lots of time with our son. Need to not have a mortgage to have opportunity to try out business from home ideas. Worked out with capital and interest we need nearly another half a million pounds to pay off our mortgage here over 25 years. No particular desire to work to earn that as well as the higher living costs in the UK when we can take the capital and run!

4 - Long term stay at least as a base

5 - This site has been great for meeting other enthusiastic people. Nowhere in the world's perfect but shame about the moaning from those who've been there years and still consider themselves ex-pats not Aussies. Get tired of seeing idealistic people being ground down by negativity - it's good to be a bit realistic but not discouraged! Get fed up with everything different to Britain being considered worse. And this fantasy that anything you don't pay for directly in Britain like healthcare, banking etc is 'free' despite more than paying for it indirectly.

6 - Great tips of info - banking, luggage. Plus moral support from others in the house selling nightmare.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:20 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jolyn
Obviously Heather hasn't given you enough work to do!

Don't know where to start. So much to do so little time
:scared:
Keep sitting grinning and reading the grant letter
Don't tell Heather all I've done is shower ready to go to work
It's funny cos last 2 days my customers have been saying how you doing and I just grin and say life is wonderful. They kind of look at me as if I've lost the plot.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Here you go Mr Garrett

1- Started TRA last November eventually sent off Jan heard back in Feb. Skilled Independent Visa was sent off on 15th May recieved by Adelaide 21st May. Brisbane is first choice and Perth is a close second, but interestly my other halfs job classification is now on the Victoria list so we could end up anywhere !!

2- Me, Nigel, Ben (13) and Rhian (9). We are all keen apart from Ben who is going through the Kevin/Perry stage so doesn`t like anything at the moment.

3- Lots of different reasons, changing our pace of life, adventure,who knows but the list of pro`s is longer than the cons. I`d rather try something new than to sit in this town like most people and never move away.

4- Never say never. Who knows hopefully it will be forever but life likes to throw curve balls along the way so who knows.

5- No, i find most posts whether positive/negative very interesting and at times helpful. I appreciate it when people post threads on their experiences these offer insights from a personal level.

6- That there is always something mentioned by others that you seem to forget. Also the friends that i have made both here and in OZ.

7- Wouldn`t you like to know!!

footie chick xx
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:12 pm
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HUP

3) Why are you going?

Keep it clean people.
1) Our first move for when Jaz applied for her Australian Passport in early May, so luckily for us the whole process will not have taken too long. We are hoping to go Mid October.
2)Family is Jaz (the other half), two kids (mini-me and mini-her) and myself. Mini-Me is 8 and has a few understandable doubts about leaving friends behind and leaving family, but we promised him a dog instead when we get there.
3) New lifestyle, better weather (so the kids aren't stuck indoors for 9 months a year), I've always wanted to live near the sea and for various family related issues (getting away from, not moving nearer to), and because we can!
4) The rest of our lives or until we go somewhere else. It's a big world out there
5)The site hasn't quashed any image we've had. Nowhere is perfect, just some places are more apealling than others.
6)That It is possible, and we are not alone.
7)Left hand side of the Midfield

Cheers,
Blue.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by HUP

3) Why are you going?

Keep it clean people.

1. Had acknowledgement via agent from TRA on July 23rd, heard nothing since so still waiting! hoping to settle in Samford or thereabouts, suburb of Brisbane.
2. Me, Hubby and 11 year old daughter, all fed up with the waiting, can't wait to start our new lives!
3. Clear mortgage, hubby won't have to work such long hours, i won't have to work at all, spend time together, blue skies most days!
4. hopefully forever!...we don't intend on coming back to the uk!
5. hasn't made my waiver one bit but i have taken off the rose coloured glasses!
6. that so many like minded people are trying their bests to get out of here!
7. mind your own business!
best regards
rach & family
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by nosuchluck
1. Had acknowledgement via agent from TRA on July 23rd, heard nothing since so still waiting! hoping to settle in Samford or thereabouts, suburb of Brisbane.
2. Me, Hubby and 11 year old daughter, all fed up with the waiting, can't wait to start our new lives!
3. Clear mortgage, hubby won't have to work such long hours, i won't have to work at all, spend time together, blue skies most days!
4. hopefully forever!...we don't intend on coming back to the uk!
5. hasn't made my waiver one bit but i have taken off the rose coloured glasses!
6. that so many like minded people are trying their bests to get out of here!
7. mind your own business!
best regards
rach & family
love the avatar Rach!! where id you get it??
debs
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by HUP

3) Why are you going?

Keep it clean people.
1) Well, we actually started at the end of 2001 but DIMA received application in May 2002. Visa granted August 2003.
2) Husband, Me and two girls aged 8 & 6. They all seem to be happy, although sometimes the girls say they dont want to go.
3)Better lifestyle for our children - we are currently living outside the UK.
4) Who knows??
5)Yes definately - I have realised things are not as rosy as they seem!
6) Education is not great and it will be hard to get a job
7) :scared: :scared:

You are not by any chance doing a thesis on migrants are you???

Debs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.