Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some questions for those of you already in Oz

Some questions for those of you already in Oz

Old May 29th 2006, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Some questions for those of you already in Oz

G'day

Can someone shed light on the following questions?

1. Best value pay as you go mobile provider in Oz?

2. Has anyone used the very expensive but very portable Vodaphone data card to access the net? Or do you know of any provider in Oz who does something like this? In case you are wondering it works using mobile phone lines and you just plug it into a laptop and log on - speeds like dial up and cuts out frequently but as I said before very good when you don't have a phone or a home.

3. If I was to ship some boxes to Brissie does anyone know of possible storage costs until I have a base?

4. Any suggestions re good temporary and reasonable accommodation in Brisbane for one person?

5. Costs of prescription glasses/eye tests/good sunglasses - should I get all of these done before I leave the UK?

I may need to post these questions as separate threads but I will give this a whirl.

Thank you in advance

Sue

Old May 29th 2006, 10:39 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some questions for those of you already in Oz

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Virgin Mobile are pretty good. I haven't looked at comparisons for a while but they were good when I got mine
2. Has anyone used the very expensive but very portable Vodaphone data card to access the net? Or do you know of any provider in Oz who does something like this? In case you are wondering it works using mobile phone lines and you just plug it into a laptop and log on - speeds like dial up and cuts out frequently but as I said before very good when you don't have a phone or a home.
Have a look at www.whirlpool.net.au and run through the ISP comparison, marking specifically wireless. There are several wireless broadband ISPs in the metro areas that will probably offer a better deal than the Voda one. Telstra's wireless offering gives the best coverage of any but they charge on data up and down so it's not cheap.
5. Costs of prescription glasses/eye tests/good sunglasses - should I get all of these done before I leave the UK?
I haven't had an eye test yet but my impression is that tests and specs are more expensive here. Go to Specsavers and get some prescription sunnies too would be my advice
Old May 29th 2006, 10:41 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

G'day

Sue

Hi Sue,

Sorry, can only help with no. 5. OPSM Direct are cheaper (for me) than the UK for contact lenses (don't know about glasses, sorry ). OPSM also bulk bill for eye tests, which means they are free if you have a Medicare card. You need to have sunglasses as soon as you land. The sun is extremely bright here. I can't go outside in the sun without them, and its almost always sunny here .

Jane
Old May 29th 2006, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Hi Sue,

Sorry, can only help with no. 5. OPSM Direct are cheaper (for me) than the UK for contact lenses (don't know about glasses, sorry ). OPSM also bulk bill for eye tests, which means they are free if you have a Medicare card. You need to have sunglasses as soon as you land. The sun is extremely bright here. I can't go outside in the sun without them, and its almost always sunny here .

Jane
Thank you both for your replies - will go get some new glasses and good sunnies before I get on a plane.

Sending you some karma for taking the time to answer.

Sue

Old May 29th 2006, 7:04 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Some questions for those of you already in Oz

Thank you both for your replies - will go get some new glasses and good sunnies before I get on a plane.

Sending you some karma for taking the time to answer.

Sue

Sue, are you stopping over in Asia? Mrs Buzzy always gets her contact lenses and glasses in somewhere like Kuala Lumpur / Bangkok etc. Contact Lenses (Johnson and Johnson, Bausch & Lomb) are 1/4 price of the UK and she gets her glasses made same day for about 1/2 UK price.

Just take your prescription with you.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 29th 2006, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day

Sue

Personaly, I would look at where you intend to travel around in Oz as its so very different to the UK, you dont have coverage in nearly as many places.

I have found Tesltra to have the best mobile phone coverage but they arent necessarily cheaper.

So, I guess it depends on whats more important, price or coverage.

H
Old May 29th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not in Oz yet as you know but I am probably intending on getting one of these sims when I get there as they seem very cheap and worth a go -
http://www.isim.com.au/Prepaid/Home.aspx

On Optus but rates are way better. Seems to have won a few awards so must be pretty good. Think its a bit like the Fresh tarriff they do at the Carphone warehouse over here.

Gotta do that coffee sometime before you go for sure! When are you off?
Old May 29th 2006, 11:32 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure how much hammer your mobile will get, but we use a telstra pre-paid, excellent value for money, although their prices changes a few days ago. http://www.telstra.com.au/telstraprepaidplus/index.htm

Glasses, I would deffo go down the prescription sunnies route. You will find you are wearing your sunnies almost every day for 9 months of the year.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Contact lenses worked out about the same for me so have had them delivered from the UK for a few years, now getting them in Oz as its just easier that way! Eye tests are free with OPSM though. My lens have just been ordered and are $150 for 6 months supply so thats about the same as the 10 pounds a month I was paying Specsavers. You can order the lenses on the OPSM website which has loads of different offers and loads of different lens types - www.opsm.com.au
Glasses I found a lot more expensive - for new frames and lens it would be about 600 dollars, for just new lens about 300 dollars. I got glasses back in the UK for 120 pounds which works out a fair bit cheaper - depends what you're looking for though
Old May 30th 2006, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Some questions for those of you already in Oz

Hi,

My daughter gets her contact lenses off the internet. Not too sure of the link but she reckons she pays half the price of OPSM. Yes she does make sure that she gets regular check ups in case of changes.
Old May 30th 2006, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Virgin Mobile are pretty good. I haven't looked at comparisons for a while but they were good when I got mine
Have a look at www.whirlpool.net.au and run through the ISP comparison, marking specifically wireless. There are several wireless broadband ISPs in the metro areas that will probably offer a better deal than the Voda one. Telstra's wireless offering gives the best coverage of any but they charge on data up and down so it's not cheap.
I haven't had an eye test yet but my impression is that tests and specs are more expensive here. Go to Specsavers and get some prescription sunnies too would be my advice
I find it cheaper to send over to oz for my glasses. I bought a pair of ordinary glasses and sunnies when over there in 2003 and the two pair cost me $200 with coatings, the thinnest lenses going and a special thing i have to have. I paid £500 for the same in the UK 2 years before that. Last year I broke my ordinary glasses and rang the shop in Penrith, NSW and they had the same frames in and I had them posted over to me for free in the end.They were going to charge me $70 but when i rang them and told them the story of my last visit they remembered me and they also know my aunt and he said forget it it doesnt matter. if my aunt picks them up it will be no charge. therefore saving me even more money.

I always promote anyone going to oz to get a pair of new glasses (if they wear them that is. lol) as over the years it has cost me a fortune in the UK. If i can save a bob or two having my classes shipped over and faxing my prescription over then i will. well worth it. x
Old May 30th 2006, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine
Hi,

My daughter gets her contact lenses off the internet. Not too sure of the link but she reckons she pays half the price of OPSM. Yes she does make sure that she gets regular check ups in case of changes.

Hello

I would be really grateful if you could find out the site for me, my uk supply has nearly run out.

Thanks

Laura
Old May 31st 2006, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hello

I would be really grateful if you could find out the site for me, my uk supply has nearly run out.

Thanks

Laura
Reply to all

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply - just love this site - seem to have got a good debate going re specs.

Sparkley - leaving on the 17 July - don't actually finish work until the 31 but have taken my leave due at the end so-----.

Sue

Old May 31st 2006, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hello

Thanks

Laura

Hi Laura,

the web address is www.coastalcontacts.com

Hope you get what you need.

Little Miss Sunshine
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

G'day

3. If I was to ship some boxes to Brissie does anyone know of possible storage costs until I have a base?

4. Any suggestions re good temporary and reasonable accommodation in Brisbane for one person?

I may need to post these questions as separate threads but I will give this a whirl.

Thank you in advance

Sue

Hi Sue,

In terms of accommodation have you tried havinga look here:

http://www.yellabrickroad.com/tempaccom.html

There are a whole list of places you could try...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.