Some questions! :-)

Some questions! :-)

Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:47 am
G'day!

FlyingAussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some questions! :-)

Dear all,

I need your advice!

We are a young family, me 26, she is 23 and our little one is 1.

As most of you here, we would like to move to Australia too. I have been there several times, have friends in OZ so I know part of the country, it’s not Utopia, but it is what we want and it ticks almost all of the boxes.

So I want to start to get the ball rolling, unfortunately I have to work towards a skill (first stage), I only have an NVQ in IT, and this will take a few years, there is no quick route to get a degree (not counting the work experience yet), with regards to professional experience, I am currently working for an well known insurance company.

So I have been considering my options, fields/areas I would love to study and it comes down to two (3 but this last one I will wait until I get to Australia to continue it) subjects that I love, one being Science the other Law! The third one is flying but this is VERY EXPENSIVE ( £40000+ to qualify as a pilot), I have a few hours on my logbook, but I stopped for now.

I have decided to save the pounds to convert to A$.

Going back to the degree, science (3 years, not sure which science pathway to follow shall I go for science, my options are Biology, Biomedicine, Chemistry, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry) or Law (4 years), one is quicker than the other, and both offer quite a few pathways to other job areas, the problem is I love both fields so the choice becomes even harder.

So I am stuck, has anyone here migrated to Oz has lawyer (how was the process, requirements), or with an LLB (HONS) law but is not working within the law field, and the same question but with regards to the Science degree (preferably within the biology or biomedicine fields)?

I have considered the study route in Australia, but it is very expensive!

So in the meantime while we dont move, we have to content in going to Australia on holidays every year.

Thanking you all for any assistance, and sorry for this long post.

Kind Regards.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:42 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some questions! :-)

Welcome to the forum. Can't help you with your specific questions, but just wanted to wish you good luck. Being in your mid-20s you have plenty of time to work towards a practical solution. I suggest your first stop should be the immigration section of this site, where immigration agents will be able to advise you on the most desirable profession and the best visa you could obtain from working in said field.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Hi mate,

Firstly good luck and I hope you make it over there.

I don't really know much about this (or obviously, how much IT experience you have), but I met someone a few months back who was in a similar position - he was an IT Manager but didn't hold relevant qualifications). So, I remember him saying something along the lines of PRL or RPL (or something like that - basically, I think it stands for Prior Relevant Learning - I think it's a way of demonstrating, although you don't have the quals, you have the experience.

As I say, I know he is applying for a visa based on being an IT Manager and this was his way of doing so.

I hope I haven't spun you a yarn here and it turns out to be of some use to you.

Again, good luck to you and your family.

Colin
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Bluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant future

Hi Flying Aussie

I hope I can help and I apologise now for my waffling.
If I was you, I would choose Law and I'll tell you why.

I graduated with a chemistry degree nearly ten years ago and currently work for a major pharmaceutical company. I found chemistry to be to general and in my field, biochemistry/pharmacy would have been better if I had wanted to get into research as I'm in manufacturing. I get shares, bonus and earn nearly £30k a year so I should be happy right? Wrong. I can't comment on all sectors but Pharmaceuticals is going through a bad time and its not going to get better. All pharmaceuticals are cutting jobs because its getting harder to find new drugs and to get them on the market. In addition, there is more competition from Generics who can make your product cheaper when its off patent and countries are demanding that the pharmaceuticals drop their prices so cutting costs seems the only thing I here nowadays. Now I consider myself ok money wise, but work in a lab and you get paid peanuts which is why I moved out. You do not get rewarded as a scientist you have to be a manager it seems to earn ok money.
Do your research, find out exactly what job in science you want and search the job sites to see if your happy with the pay. Certain jobs pay better than others. I did a science degree because I liked the fact that I knew there would be a job at the end of it which isn't the case with mickey mouse degrees. Also as there is a shortage of Scientists worldwide you would think as you are in demand, the money would reflect this but it doesn't. The reason there is a shortage is a lot of science graduates go and work in the city or other sectors where they can get more money. There are a lot of disillusioned people in science at the moment from my experience of uni friends and work collegues. Search the net and you will find, I'm not the only one.

I'm using Australia as a fresh start. They have a general shortage so I have got state sponsorship from Victoria State for my degree and will be applying for a visa soon. If I get to OZ I will try and get into scientific sales or recruitment which seems more rewarding but may also look for a career change in the financial sector.

I have a work mate who I guess earns around £35K, his o/h is a lawyer and she earns £50-60K so I know which one I would choose.

Again apologies for waffling and being so negative but I thought you should now. In summary, I find as science is so diverse, skills cannot be transfered so it can be difficult to move up the career ladder, you end up moving sideways. A career ladder for a someone like an accountant or lawyer is probably more defined.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Check out studying in Oz through a migration agent and they might come up with some suggestions for you.

It may not be what you want but I have spoken to a couple of people and their partners are studying hairdressing at college and it will lead to a pr status.

Dont know all the ins and outs bit its worth a look.

Good luck,
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:36 pm
G'day!

Hello All,

Many thanks for all your comments.

I might have a look at the study in Oz route, maybe I can create a financial budget that will allow me to do it. Will still do study over here and I can save £££ in the meantime.

With regards to the degrees not an easy decision, money wise I believe Law is better off, but then again Science is more interesting, will certain do some investigation with regards to career opportunities and pay, keeping a mind which over more points (60 points is the way forward).

I do have another option, which I forgot to add before, I have a good friend in Newcastle/Australia who owns a fairly large company and he said pending on the conditions in 3/4 years and if I possess the relevant skills he might offer a sponsorship (Project manager within the building/construction field), there is a very interesting degree going around with the university of Newcastle/OZ (construction management) which I could combine with the 20 hours working per week, although I don't work in the construction/building management field, I do have some management/supervisor experience which would be handy working towards the degree in construction management for a future position of project manager.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... And the clock keeps ticking.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Hi FlyingAussie

Just as a matter of interest, which insurance company do you work for?

I used to work for one in Surrey. So just wondering if I know who you are....
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:07 pm
G'day!

Hi Janna and Nick,

I work for AXA Assistance, the assistance arm of the AXA group which includes AXA Insurance.

Regards
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know you then as I worked for Travelers Insurance. But insurance is a small world really so there was a really good chance!

Best of luck in your move. My husband and I are both in our 20's and our daughter is 2.

Law is something I started in and there are parts of it that can be interesting. I'm from South Africa originally and found that the international student fees to continue were to expensive so ended up in insurance (strangely! )

Anyway, you have to think about what is going to get you a job. The visa is one thing.... but if you end up in Oz only to discover that there aren't many jobs in your field or jobs that don't pay what you expect then is it worth spending 3 or 4 years now getting that degree??? I think law is something that will always be in demand. Not sure about any of the science bits you mentioned.

What ever you decide, I hope you are successful!
Best of luck

Janna
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

although this doesnt relate to australia in general i would suggest that if you do a science degree to take the year in industry option

Ive been a biochemistry graduate for a year and found an immense number of doors slammed in my face because of my lack of experience

because of this im doing a PGCE next year
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:53 pm
G'day!

Thanks all for you comments.

Thank you Simo429 for the industry option tip.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:46 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Studying law in the UK would not be a good option if ultimately you want to live and work in Oz. If you do a search, it's been discussed a few times here recently. The consensus was that it is impossible to work in Oz as a lawyer with a UK law degree/LLB. On arrival in Oz you'd have to re-qualify (there are different criteria for the different states) which is time consuming and expensive.

If your goal is to live and work in Oz, I'd consult a reputable immigration agent first before committing myself to 3/4 years of study. Have a look at www.gomatilda.com (Alan Collett) and George Lombard.

Gina
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:33 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

The RPL mentioned above stands for Recognition or Prior Learning. Whatever skill you end up applying with, you'll need to get it assessed by the relevant assessing authority. For IT, this is the ACS (Australian Computer Society). I'm currently waiting for my RPL results from the ACS now. You'll need positive RPL results to get the 60 points from the SOL list (or more if the skill is also on the MODL list). You would ned to show at least 6 years of experience in IT.

Not sure if there's any truth to this but an old manager of mine recently told me that he had a collegue that decided to go to Oz but didn't have all the pre-requsites. He apprently went on a 2-day locksmith course and got this skill recognised via the appropriate assessing organisation and earned his 60 points that way.

Not advocating doing this but it does seem like quite a ingeneous side-stepping attempt.

- CDM
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice

Originally Posted by FlyingAussie View Post
Dear all,

I need your advice!

We are a young family, me 26, she is 23 and our little one is 1.

As most of you here, we would like to move to Australia too. I have been there several times, have friends in OZ so I know part of the country, it’s not Utopia, but it is what we want and it ticks almost all of the boxes.

So I want to start to get the ball rolling, unfortunately I have to work towards a skill (first stage), I only have an NVQ in IT, and this will take a few years, there is no quick route to get a degree (not counting the work experience yet), with regards to professional experience, I am currently working for an well known insurance company.

So I have been considering my options, fields/areas I would love to study and it comes down to two (3 but this last one I will wait until I get to Australia to continue it) subjects that I love, one being Science the other Law! The third one is flying but this is VERY EXPENSIVE ( £40000+ to qualify as a pilot), I have a few hours on my logbook, but I stopped for now.

I have decided to save the pounds to convert to A$.

Going back to the degree, science (3 years, not sure which science pathway to follow shall I go for science, my options are Biology, Biomedicine, Chemistry, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry) or Law (4 years), one is quicker than the other, and both offer quite a few pathways to other job areas, the problem is I love both fields so the choice becomes even harder.

So I am stuck, has anyone here migrated to Oz has lawyer (how was the process, requirements), or with an LLB (HONS) law but is not working within the law field, and the same question but with regards to the Science degree (preferably within the biology or biomedicine fields)?

I have considered the study route in Australia, but it is very expensive!

So in the meantime while we dont move, we have to content in going to Australia on holidays every year.

Thanking you all for any assistance, and sorry for this long post.

Kind Regards.
Hi Flying oz Carl here
You are right this is a long post
I c that u have an NVQ to what level is this?
I am a hairdresser, i hold NVQ 3 in hairdressing i also have a degree NVQ level 5 in managment, various assessor and verification skills various bussiness qualifications and have worked for myself for 14 years owning 2 hair and beauty salons both of which i sold earlier this year.
i also am head of the hairdressing dept at a private hairdressing acadamy.
we have gone through and agent for our visa which we are exoecting later this year and the only qualifications i have gone through with is NVQ 2 & 3 in hairdressing, can't believe it they were not interested in anything else.
have you been in contact with an emigration agent and asked them if that is enough i was dissapointed that they did not want anything else
i suggest you give it ago
good luck
Carl