British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Some Queensland coast climate advice please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/some-queensland-coast-climate-advice-please-934782/)

BadgeIsBack Oct 10th 2020 5:38 am

Re: Some Queensland coast climate advice please

I confess to noticing how humid Sydney is compared to Melbourne. So it will be interesting to venture back to a QLD summer one day. Haven't managed it in 16 years though!

paulry Oct 10th 2020 6:13 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12920607)
Sounds to me you are confusing pride with achievement and not location as I believe what was being referred to.

Yep, I understood it the same way you do. Kind of similar to a person being house proud.

Beoz Oct 12th 2020 11:27 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12920621)
Yep, I understood it the same way you do. Kind of similar to a person being house proud.

Yep. You may not have the best house on the street but you are proud of what it is.

old.sparkles Oct 12th 2020 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12921207)
Yep. You may not have the best house on the street but you are proud of what it is.

Being house proud is still a long way different from being proud of where you live in terms of location.

I get being house proud, I get being proud of achievements (of which house proud would most likely also fit) - but not proud of a location so I think I'm with MP.

Beoz Oct 12th 2020 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12921262)
Being house proud is still a long way different from being proud of where you live in terms of location.

I get being house proud, I get being proud of achievements (of which house proud would most likely also fit) - but not proud of a location so I think I'm with MP.

I'm with Paulry and for a rare instance, troubadour. Most people are proud of their house and its location.

the troubadour Oct 13th 2020 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12921348)
I'm with Paulry and for a rare instance, troubadour. Most people are proud of their house and its location.

Not so fast. We remain, as per usual; on very different pages. Sounds like you are reading from a different book altogether.
I do not get the concept of pride in location nor particularly in a house. I can like where I live but take pride if that is the term you prefer to use, in personal accomplishments,
not in location or material possession. Like and pride are very different. Probably more a sense of ambiguity would replace pride in the context you use it in.
There are always far better houses in much more dynamic locations .

Beoz Oct 13th 2020 2:27 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12921431)
Not so fast. We remain, as per usual; on very different pages. Sounds like you are reading from a different book altogether.
I do not get the concept of pride in location nor particularly in a house. I can like where I live but take pride if that is the term you prefer to use, in personal accomplishments,
not in location or material possession. Like and pride are very different. Probably more a sense of ambiguity would replace pride in the context you use it in.
There are always far better houses in much more dynamic locations .

OK. Of course. You don't like where you live. However I do agree with what you said in post 30

old.sparkles Oct 13th 2020 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12921450)
OK. Of course. You don't like where you live. However I do agree with what you said in post 30

Do you not see that there is a difference between liking where you live, and being proud of it?

I like where I live for sure, I chose the area because I like it, but I'm not proud of it. There are plenty of other nice areas I could have chosen, and I'm equally not ashamed of those areas because I did not choose to buy a house there.

Beoz Oct 13th 2020 4:25 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12921451)
Do you not see that there is a difference between liking where you live, and being proud of it?

I like where I live for sure, I chose the area because I like it, but I'm not proud of it. There are plenty of other nice areas I could have chosen, and I'm equally not ashamed of those areas because I did not choose to buy a house there.

Would you defend it if its qualities were questioned?

paulry Oct 13th 2020 7:55 am

Remind me, what was the argument about again? :lol:

paulry Oct 13th 2020 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12921469)

Ah got ya. It was about MP defending the reputation of where she lives....

Dreamy Oct 13th 2020 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12921506)
Ah got ya. It was about MP defending the reputation of where she lives....

Obviously MP needs to do a youtube video so you can see that your statement above is really not a valid description of her posts.

I understand that you struggle with the written word, so would that help you?

old.sparkles Oct 13th 2020 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12921469)

Depends if what was stated was factual and accurate or not.

If someone is stating an opinion, I'd probably just nod and agree until they went away :lol:

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12921504)
Remind me, what was the argument about again? :lol:

Yeah, sorry - we should get back on topic. I really can't offer much advice on Queensland coast climate - only visited once and that was only for a few days.