Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some observations after 1 mth in Sydney

Some observations after 1 mth in Sydney

Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:41 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Some observations after 1 mth in Sydney

Originally Posted by nickyc
Unlike yourself, the ability to easily live and work in the USA is the last thing most sane Australians would want to do. Clearly you feel no obligation or loyalty to Australia and seem to only view citizenship of either country (Canada and Australia) as a means to get into the US.

As others have said before - why on earth don't you just bugger off to Canada?

Please don't comment..
Thankyou for your response.Its a very simple common sense (which may not be common among people specially like you) to ask yourself: how can a person become so called loyal, obligatory,patriot etc. etc. within 2 or 3 years of short waiting period?If you are not loyal, obligatory,patriot etc. etc. to the place where you are born (place of birth) and you are leaving that place for your betterment, financial security and stability. People are leaving their place of birth(home country) to come here for their benefits ONLY...not to get a credit card limit of $2000 as mentioned on the above post and enjoy lots of sunshine...
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some observations after 1 mth in Sydney

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Thankyou for your response.Its a very simple common sense (which may not be common among people specially like you) to ask yourself: how can a person become so called loyal, obligatory,patriot etc. etc. within 2 or 3 years of short waiting period?If you are not loyal, obligatory,patriot etc. etc. to the place where you are born (place of birth) and you are leaving that place for your betterment, financial security and stability. People are leaving their place of birth(home country) to come here for their benefits ONLY...not to get a credit card limit of $2000 as mentioned on the above post and enjoy lots of sunshine...
On the contrary, people with common sense are surely those who made the right decision, and chose the best country to migrate to, the first time round.

I've always been loyal (and extremely grateful) to Australia, from the very start - mostly because it was generous enough to allow me to stay and live here. I also believe that MOST migrants (clearly unlike yourself) do not come here for purely economic reasons but to improve their lifestyle in other ways.

Now you're always going on about how wonderful Canada is and what 'advantages' it has, and at the same time whinging about how long you have to wait to get Australian citizenship.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for selfish people like yourself who are obviously only here for the convenience and the money and what IT can do for YOU.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary, people with common sense are surely those who made the right decision, and chose the best country to migrate to, the first time round.

I've always been loyal (and extremely grateful) to Australia, from the very start - mostly because it was generous enough to allow me to stay and live here. I also believe that MOST migrants (clearly unlike yourself) do not come here for purely economic reasons but to improve their lifestyle in other ways.

Now you're always going on about how wonderful Canada is and what 'advantages' it has, and at the same time whinging about how long you have to wait to get Australian citizenship.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for selfish people like yourself who are obviously only here for the convenience and the money and what IT can do for YOU.
you mean, Nicky, that this person wants to come to Australia after all? Thought it was a reject from the Canadian forum.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
you mean, Nicky, that this person wants to come to Australia after all? Thought it was a reject from the Canadian forum.
He's been in Sydney for a few months, in Melbourne before that - reckon he's just waiting for his two years to be up to collect his Aussie passport. He was mightily pissed of at the prospect of having to wait three years for it.

Still he hasn't been wasting his time whilst he's been waiting - he's been busy checking out all the benefits available here in Australia plus the residency requirements for elsewhere in the world (Dubai, NZ, Canada, US).

Reckon he's decided on Canada as the best bet for the most freebies. He actually asked once if he could get the Homebuyers grant here without buying a house (!).
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:58 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Well to Sydney, its a bit of maze but sounds like you've made good progress.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:08 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

He's been in Sydney for a few months, in Melbourne before that - reckon he's just waiting for his two years to be up to collect his Aussie passport. He was mightily pissed of at the prospect of having to wait three years for it.

Still he hasn't been wasting his time whilst he's been waiting - he's been busy checking out all the benefits available here in Australia plus the residency requirements for elsewhere in the world (Dubai, NZ, Canada, US).

Reckon he's decided on Canada as the best bet for the most freebies. He actually asked once if he could get the Homebuyers grant here without buying a house (!).
Just had a look at his previous posts in his profile - makes interesting reading... Not quite sure how many times exactly the same was copied and pasted around the place, but quite a few...

Graham
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:17 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

He should change his nickname to "Freedloading Twat"
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations on the pregnancy, I guess that means your first Sydney dive is on hold for a few more months, shame since we had 30m vis and 8 grey nurse sharks at magic point the other week.

Your post brought back memories of our first month but although we've been here less that 6 months it seems a lifetime ago that we were trying desparately to find a rental place and sort our new life out.

If you ever decide you fancy talking about diving even if you can't get wet the Sydney BSAC meet at Moretons hotel (outside seating area) every Wednesday from about 7.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:30 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Congratulations on the pregnancy, I guess that means your first Sydney dive is on hold for a few more months, shame since we had 30m vis and 8 grey nurse sharks at magic point the other week.

Your post brought back memories of our first month but although we've been here less that 6 months it seems a lifetime ago that we were trying desparately to find a rental place and sort our new life out.

If you ever decide you fancy talking about diving even if you can't get wet the Sydney BSAC meet at Moretons hotel (outside seating area) every Wednesday from about 7.
Oooh, are you divers? We started last year and are hooked. Hoping to be in Sydney by October/November time - how's the diving in Sydney???

Graham
Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

foxy2151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Im going to admit it! - Hands up! Im scared!. My son is l5 about to turn l6 and has been offered a place at college in Sydney starting on July 3. Until he is l8 I have been told I can go on a Guardian Visa (already applied for - and Im still recovering from the experience - and trying now to dry out!) My daughter is currently in Sydney and has a three year contract with her existing company and thinks it will be great for us to go for 2 years. From the initial excitement - Im now having all sorts of doubts......Im selling my house to go - and hopefully living off the proceeds, plus some savings. Should I rent furnished or unfurnished. Will it take too long for me to settle - I wont be able to work - what will I do? I dont have a partner - will I be lonely - Im lonely here so better be lonely in the sun? I want to live by the beach (Nothern Beaches) but dont really know the area and now Im hearing its to far for my son to travel to Surrey Hills from there - but I dont want to live in the city .......is there a guardian angel out there who can advise me?????
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

It can be one helluva roller coaster and for the first six months I hated it!!! So hang on in there and by the way we have a meet coming up in May in Sydney. See "Meet Ups" at the top of the page. The local crowd who had already been here a while were a God send. They were the only people we know to begin with.

Originally Posted by walaj
I am a relative newcomer to these Aussie shores (Sydney to be precise), so whilst things are partially fresh in my mind I better make a note of them. These are my personal observations, so some of you may not agree with them or I may even be wrong (I'm a woman, I can never be wrong!), as I said I'm new to this place. A lot of this is likely to be a lot more relevant to people about to make the move rather than ole timers of Oz.

Warning: this post ended up being a tad longer than planned, so 1st of all get a cuppa tea/coffee/slab of stubbies, make your self comfortable and I will begin........

Car
First of all we were looking at cars a few years old, partially due to higher cost of new car and time it would take to be delivered. We got it down to 2 (maybe 3) vehicles - Mazda 6 and the Subaru Liberty (Legacy in UK) or Forrester (basically same as Liberty just higher suspension and more around on 2nd hand market).

After looking around we decided a wagon (estate for those still using British terms) would best suit our needs re children & diving - we are trying to remain a 1 car family but have been warned that this maybe a difficult task for the other half to rely on public transport.

Back to car buying - Mazda6 wagons are a rarity, so would have to go new. Subaru, wanted at least the 2.5lt but not many around, or high km and price. Having looked at a post on here with the amounts people had got off the OTR price, a new vehicle was sounding more attractive.

Decided eventually on a new Mazda 6 - my heart was saying the Subaru but I could not justify the extra $5k (and would get a few less gadgets). Next was to get a price with the only extra wanted being tinted windows (a must, as recommended by many in another post here). The first place had amounts already off the price shown in the sales room, of course I wanted better. He asked me to write a figure, I refused to play that game and instead wrote my number down telling him to contact me with a price. I have a feeling that being new to the country, he thought that I would think $1k off was a good deal. (He did get back and started with a high price but would not go as low as others)

Tried ringing several other dealers to obtain a price, but they would only do so if I actually went into see them. So off to several dealers I went - asking precisely what I wanted the rest were more forthcoming with a price. Went back to a closer dealer and got them to equal the price, I knew a car in the spec we wanted had just arrived in the country, so agreed purchase (over $4k less than the list price - and on budget for max on a 2nd hand one) and 6 days later picked up the car.

One aspect not use to - you get a choice of reg plate type, some with a premium. You need to have an Aussie driving licence (or I think you can just get a number from RTA) so the vehicle can be registered.

Don't know if it is just Mazda or if other dealers do it, but if you get the car serviced (btw more frequent than the UK at the earlier of 6mths or 10k km) at the dealer EVERYTIME, the warranty is extended by 3yrs on top of the manufactures one. Of course they make their money here, so have not yet decided if this is the way we will go or not.

Car insurance
Allianz wanted to have an access of $450 plus $600 for being an inexperienced driver (ie UK licence irrelevant, Aussie licence held for less than 2 yrs). Went with Suncorp in end (recommended by Aussie friends) but this was still around the $1k mark for fully comp (ok does include car hire etc) with rating 1 (+5yrs NCB). This is in addition to the $335 Compulsory 3rd Party Insurance (that was included in the car purchase price). From posts on here I was expecting a lot lower, I seem to recall a post saying what they paid in UK pounds was the amount paid in $s (ie UKP500 $500). Maybe it is because it is new, or that Sydney is just damn expensive for everything.

Driving
I was converted to sat navs last year, not just being another toy the other half wanted (and we have since converted friends). It is a portable one which we had UK maps for and Australia ones for our arrival - it has been a god send - driving round to look at house rentals (especially on a long road as to which end it was at), or car buying etc it has saved many an argument/time/frustration. It was also great for finding out distances from a house to a railway station/bus stop etc without actually having to visit which saved a few viewings.

The maps we have are not as complete as the UK ones, they are wrong in places (telling you to turn right or U turn when road signs tell you can't), warning of turning off is too early then too late (ie 1st warning 1.2 or 2km before, then about 50m when you already need to be in the turning lane/indicating etc). Journey times are completely out (UK were quiet accurate) - for instance to drop the other half at place of work and return back it reckons 14mins (each way), but the quickest I have done it is about 30 mins (without him in the car) up to 1hr (when everyone else is trying to get to/from work). Road works and traffic lights and of course the sheer number of other cars don't help. But overall I strongly recommend one.

Only had the new car a few days, but have driven in rush hour traffic am & pm those days. Average speed for 200 km is less than 20km ph and fuel economy is 14.5 sometimes using aircon sometimes not. The stop start driving and hills don't help for fuel consumption.

Rental property
We had a decent budget and thought that this would be enough to get a place within walking distance of a train station on the Northern shores between Roseville & Wahroonga. First few days of visiting agents we got disheartened that there was nothing suitable, then trying further south along the train line it was more encouraging.

Photos were never good enough to decide and viewings were essential. However we did pick up on a few things - what they don't say in the description (eg just stating kitchen is likely to be a horrible old thing that you wouldn't want to prepare a meal in) or lack of pictures (eg 4 pictures of the lounge raises Qs on the rest of the place) or if the viewing block is an hour (rather than 30 mins) they don't expect it to go quickly or a property with many agents (1 we saw with at least 4 agents). We viewed some horrible places, some we considered overpriced, 1 we were v interested in but were too late.

We ended up widening our search to include bus routes, but were difficult to judge as we did not know where the other half would be working. Part of me was feeing desperate that we would not find a suitable place or end up paying silly money. Part of the pain was (& still is that our internet access is v limited just at a time when we need it most). We visited many agents in the hope that a personal visit we would find out properties about to be advertised or that we would more likely to be remembered and called when something did come available - found out about a couple of properties (nothing to suit) and I think just had 1 call.

The property we have gone with we found on the internet on the Tues (even though we had visited the agent the day before), booked then viewed on the Thurs, decided to accept on the Fri - We thought if it got to the Sat (when most open house viewings are) that it would be snapped up. To accept we had to pay 1 wks rent to put an offer of interest in and no more viewing would take place - the landlord decides if to accept (if he does not you get the money back, if you pull out you lose the number of days it was off the market, if accept taken off bond and rent due). We took our passports as proof of ID and we had visa to work, invoice for furnished rental unit we are currently in, proof of house ownership in UK and mortgage (don't think they actually copied this), copy of decent amount of money being transferred from UK to Aus$. We offered the asking price on the rent, 12mths (we would not be in a position to buy in 6mths, hopefully that does not turn out to be a mistake) and ended up paying 2 months rent up front on top of the bond (4wks rent).

Job wise
The other half is the breadwinner, and even though many Aussie contacts had been made through UK ones before arriving here, nothing definite had emerged just some remote possibilities. The other half is highly regarded in his field back in the UK, so makes it that bit harder starting from scratch as an unknown here. All the agents he contacted did not want to see him, saying they were client driven and would only see him when a job came up. Most places he had to follow up after sending his CV by email to talk to someone to acknowledge receipt and find out the next step. A bit disheartening and a feeling of not being able to make any progress. One job came up from a UK company through people he had worked with - it was a bit fluffy in details and it was not materialising when it would actually start - this was eventually declined but it did show the difficulties of communicating with lack of email access and phone calls late at night or early morning.

One meeting (via contacts made though other contacts) lead to nothing and showed the company in Oz is not as 'healthy' as the UK (which we already knew), the next one looked like it could equally be a waste of time. Less than an hour later a 6 mths contract had been offered - might have had something to do with the 6 or so emails from people in the UK company basically saying 'employ this person', oh and of course his talents. So in short he is working for the same company he left just a few wks ago down more to who he knows.

Shopping versus shipping
A whole volume of books could be written on this subject, so look at other posts for that! We are having most things shipped over, the pain is we move into the unfurnished house the same day the ship arrives in Sydney, so hopefully at worst we have 4 wk before we actually get to see it. We have got to get a fridge/freezer and bed (2 big purchases), so that is more traipsing around trying to find the stores that sell them and what is a good price or not. It is amazing just how long it takes to go around a city looking for many items (be it a house, car etc), trying to make yet more decisions on how to spend yet more money (and not a new pair of shoes in sight). I am glad that most stuff is arriving by container, otherwise I feeling we would never be out of shops trying to find all the stuff that we spent the best part of 10yrs accumulating. We could save time by not shopping around, but would we get the best price, or make the right decisions especially if we had to buy a whole house worth of stuff.

Banks
I am now starting to understand the frustration by other expats at what they call banks here. Apart from the monthly charges which feel so alien to a Brit, but ok I have to accept, it is all the other stuff that is so annoying. No credit card until a job, so paying for stuff is a pain especially when there are big purchases to be made. The bank card had a pathetic limit to which we only found out when trying to pay with it (it has now been increased to max of $2000). Bank (counter) cheques, which was the only acceptable payment and method possible for the 2 payments for the house and car cost $10 a go (just recently increased from $7). Yes some places you can have certain balance in the account to avoid monthly fees, but you may end up losing more interest by not having it in a savings account.

Pregnancy
Whilst we had planned to have a 2nd child at some point, the point was not quite yet. The day after the shippers left (ie all maternity clothes packed), I found out it was not the stress of moving as the reason for my lateness. This was a few days before flying. Thankfully I have not suffered from sickness, but have from tiredness which has not helped when trying to sort out a new life in Sydney. Also most of my clothes don't fit as my belly is already big.

I can start to make some comparisons (but of course in either Oz or UK experiences can greatly differ where you are and who you see). So far been to the Drs twice - no bulk billing so can only claim back $31.45 of the $40 charged by the Dr, whereas in UK there would have been no charge, just like prescriptions during pregnancy and the year after birth. Here, no such thing and a prescription cost I had was $17, with no relief from medicare. Blood test was done without waiting at a nearby clinic (always a wait in the UK). I have a list of the timetable throughout pregnancy of when I see
people/have tests taken etc. See the midwife next week - I'm assuming there is no charge, but will not be surprised if there is.

Do I enjoy living here?
I don't know - it is too early to say, I know I do not hate it so far. Life is still too surreal and normality has not kicked in yet to really find out. I will leave judgment to a later date.

Well, congratulations that you have made it this far without falling asleep, I hope you have found something amongst my ramblings of use.

walaj
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

We live near the Northern Beaches. I don't think Surrey Hills is that bad to get to but he would probably need to drive. If you want more info just drop me a line (private) and keep an eye open once you are here for Sydney Meet Ups. It can be help to find some friendly expats who know their way around a bit.

Originally Posted by foxy2151
Well Im going to admit it! - Hands up! Im scared!. My son is l5 about to turn l6 and has been offered a place at college in Sydney starting on July 3. Until he is l8 I have been told I can go on a Guardian Visa (already applied for - and Im still recovering from the experience - and trying now to dry out!) My daughter is currently in Sydney and has a three year contract with her existing company and thinks it will be great for us to go for 2 years. From the initial excitement - Im now having all sorts of doubts......Im selling my house to go - and hopefully living off the proceeds, plus some savings. Should I rent furnished or unfurnished. Will it take too long for me to settle - I wont be able to work - what will I do? I dont have a partner - will I be lonely - Im lonely here so better be lonely in the sun? I want to live by the beach (Nothern Beaches) but dont really know the area and now Im hearing its to far for my son to travel to Surrey Hills from there - but I dont want to live in the city .......is there a guardian angel out there who can advise me?????
Old Apr 29th 2006, 6:19 am
Just Joined

foxy2151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ian12
We live near the Northern Beaches. I don't think Surrey Hills is that bad to get to but he would probably need to drive. If you want more info just drop me a line (private) and keep an eye open once you are here for Sydney Meet Ups. It can be help to find some friendly expats who know their way around a bit.
Thanks for your rely Ian. It would be very calming and helpful for me to reply to you (how do you do a "private" reply - Im very new! ) I think meet ups are a great idea. I wont be there until July probably, so hope there will be one sometime after that.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxy2151
Thanks for your rely Ian. It would be very calming and helpful for me to reply to you (how do you do a "private" reply - Im very new! ) I think meet ups are a great idea. I wont be there until July probably, so hope there will be one sometime after that.
If you left click on his user name in his post, then a box appears with options. Just click on send private message and away you go
Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

What a fantastic post - very informative! Thanks for the info, and I hope all goes well for you. Gongrats and good luck for the pregnancy too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.