Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some more things to do around Brisbane

Some more things to do around Brisbane

Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:50 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some more things to do around Brisbane

I had my family over here throughout December. They have visited several times already, so we've done practically all the tourist things within a comfortable drive of Brisbane already.

Here's one or two of the things we did this time around...Note that they all involve booze at some point.

*** took a drive out west along mt nebo road, stopping off at the lookouts and did a few walks....the westridge lookout is pretty cool. As is jolly's lookout, been up there a few times now. Did a couple of small trails too. Rainforest circuit at boombana was an enjoyable one, only a 20min stroll though, not an epic trek !
Headed back down mount glorious road into Samford and went to the Samford valley hotel for lunch which was actually pretty tasty. About $50 for the 4 of us including drinks. We sat in the garden out the back and there's a playground for kids too.
http://www.samfordhotel.com.au/default.asp

*** headed out to Bribie island to explore the area. Never been before, and it is a bit of a drive to get out there... but the area is really nice. The pumicestone passageway is pretty stunning, with the glasshouse mountains in the background. Plenty of folks out fishing in their tinnies, in the calm waters. We drove over to the other side of the island (10mins) to woorim and went to the beach and had a few drinks in the surf club. I was really impressed with Bribie. Don't go there if you are looking for bars, restaurants, nightclubs though.

*** visited the tamborine mountain area via the "famous" Yatala Pie shop. Pies were great, family very impressed. Not something I'd have every week though. Went up to tamborine mountain and wandered around the craft shops, etc..really lovely afternoon. We've been up there a few times now. We didn't have time for any wineries this time though. Went to eagle heights for the view down to Surfers. Someone has a red double decker bus in their back garden? not sure what all that is about.

*** went to sirromet winery at mount cotton for a bit of wine tasting. Will be heading back there to try out the restaurant. It was a saturday afternoon and the wine tasting was very popular. Lots of people sitting outside enjoying the views, eating cheese platters and drinking. The restaurant there looks great. The place reminded me a bit of the Domaine Chandon winery, outside melbourne.

Last edited by asprilla; Jan 13th 2009 at 10:54 pm.