Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some Info on Australia please...

Some Info on Australia please...

Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:05 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice
Smile Some Info on Australia please...

Hi, I would like to know some info,

1) What is Australian life like for a Middle Class family?

2) What is the weather like in North NSW? I have heard it is rainy, Cold or Warm rain?

3) What is Victoria like with weather?

4) How Brit-friendly is Australia?

5) I have heard it is quite expensive, $100 AUD for a video game

Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Info on Australia please...

Originally Posted by Robw4

1) What is Australian life like for a Middle Class family?

2) What is the weather like in North NSW? I have heard it is rainy, Cold or Warm rain?

Thanks
1) Australia is a classless society lol
2) Yes it does rain and it's very welcome when it does, has a lovely year round climate though a tad too dry at times
3) Varied
4) If you like being called a Pom and being the butt of many a joke tiz fine lol
5) Game in the UK can be £50 so like for like, though usually more expensive in Aus, a are books

Think you should go out on a long holiday as you don't appear to have any idea
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone else posting on this thread, he's a young lad of 16 so go easy on the comments please

Weather in North NSW is pretty good, heading close to sub tropical so when it rains it's warm not cold English rain Summers are lovely and winters are damn good too. Victoria is probably more moderate weather wise.

I can understand how nervous the plans of your parents must be for you but I wouldn't have any worries about fitting in and getting on with 'locals'. There are obviously morons who don't like immigrants here as there are anywhere but they are generally in a very small minority - unless you act like a prat of course

As Aus Bound said, video games are pretty much the same sort of price as the UK and you can get good deals if you look around, also they do trade ins as they do in the UK so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Any other questions, feel free to shout. I assume you know about the Youth Club on here? Lots of teenagers in the same position as you.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

1) What is Australian life like for a Middle Class family?WHATS CLASSED AS MIDDLE CLASS

Thanks You are comparing how expensive is against uk via video games lmao
Hi rob
You will need to do a bit of research yourself first i reckon

Tell us what you have learnt yourself about Australia?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

All I can say is that the areas I have been in have always been very friendly. That's on my travels in Cairns, Brissie, Sydney and Perth.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:04 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Tell us what you have learnt yourself about Australia?
Without any visit, first impressions are moderate- swings and roundabouts idea.

+
Weather
I guess a more "outdoorsy" lifestyle but this isn't always the case

-
Away from family
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:34 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Rob

I buy less games here because I have been busy doing other things, so don't worry too much about the cost. I have a list of other activities I want to try and am saving up to have a go at those. I had a go at Scuba diving and am getting in to 4x4 driving (you will be driving soon I guess?)

Also I got Guitar Hero full band and an extra guitar for under $300, just by telling them that's what I had in my wallet. You need to be cheeky here and ask for a cash discount. Don't forget you can also buy games from the UK and get them sent here.

NSW weather is great. warmer and dryer then the UK. North NSW does get a lot of rain at times, but at least its not cold miserable 2 weeks of drizzle. Its a proper #### down of rain then the sun comes back out.

Not sure about Melbourne weather, more like the UK I hear, but a bit warmer.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:52 pm
=]

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Rob

I buy less games here because I have been busy doing other things, so don't worry too much about the cost. I have a list of other activities I want to try and am saving up to have a go at those. I had a go at Scuba diving and am getting in to 4x4 driving (you will be driving soon I guess?)

Also I got Guitar Hero full band and an extra guitar for under $300, just by telling them that's what I had in my wallet. You need to be cheeky here and ask for a cash discount. Don't forget you can also buy games from the UK and get them sent here.

NSW weather is great. warmer and dryer then the UK. North NSW does get a lot of rain at times, but at least its not cold miserable 2 weeks of drizzle. Its a proper #### down of rain then the sun comes back out.

Anyone else?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else?
If you hang on a few hours those already in Aus will be out of bed and you'll get more answers then from people already here - its 5.45am in Queensland at present - and its a public holiday too, so give them a chance
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:02 pm
=]

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you hang on a few hours those already in Aus will be out of bed and you'll get more answers then from people already here - its 5.45am in Queensland at present - and its a public holiday too, so give them a chance
Sorry, forgot the time difference
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, forgot the time difference
Thats OK - we all do it at times!!!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:55 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Just with the middle class thing from the OP.

I do think you really ought to not bother with trying to class yourself over here. Like someone has already said, Australia 'doesn't' have a class society and most Aussies from my experience won't tolerate a Pom who thinks he's more high brow than anyone else.

A phrase my neighbour used the other day while talking about a similar thing was "Your shit still stinks no matter how posh you want to be!"
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
No it's not like the UK at all. A bit warmer at 40oC -OK that's short spells of furnace like days, but it's a lot warmer. We also get hardly any rain - which is a serious problem (this has certainly been over the last 3 years or so).
Winter nights are cold and daytime temps from 10oC-16oC - usually around 14oC.

For all regional climates check out http://www.bom.gov.au

Good luck with your research.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Rob

Not in my experience. None of the online retailers such as Amazon/Game etc will ship to Australia. I'm guessing it is to do with the licensing on the games.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:48 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Not in my experience. None of the online retailers such as Amazon/Game etc will ship to Australia. I'm guessing it is to do with the licensing on the games.
But you can have them sent to a UK address and forwarded on.

There are plenty of others in Europe and the US that will ship to the UK, so I would imagine they will ship to Aus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.