Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some guidance on tax return please

Some guidance on tax return please

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some guidance on tax return please

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
You can't do Etax in your first year however.. Which I discovered.

Paid accountant 80 dollars and it took ten mins with a nice rebate too!
We did eTax in our first year.

Got a refund too! Expecting the same this year.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

How did you do it? Mine wanted the previous years something number and couldn't access the secret info! Baffled me! Then the accountant said you couldn't do year 1 on it but next year should be no probs. I filled 99% of it in too but couldn't finalise it..
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

How did you do it? Mine wanted the previous years something number and couldn't access the secret info! Baffled me! Then the accountant said you couldn't do year 1 on it but next year should be no probs. I filled 99% of it in too but couldn't finalise it..
Last year's one was different. We had already been to Centrelink with all our IDs because of the floods etc... so when we filled them in, they already had our proof of ID, according to my wife.

This year's one required last year's reference number which when entered allowed us to complete. So maybe this year's one won't allow other ID or something, which is quite possible as it looks completely different to last year's one.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You can't do Etax in your first year however.. Which I discovered.

Paid accountant 80 dollars and it took ten mins with a nice rebate too!
You should be able to do it the first year, think you can verify it with your bank account details & there are a couple of other ways too. Did mine electronically the first time and did Bernie's too so it must be possible.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674716 - that thread has the ways you can verify identity for anyone who needs it, I knew I'd done this before!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 4th 2012 at 12:19 am.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You should be able to do it the first year, think you can verify it with your bank account details & there are a couple of other ways too. Did mine electronically the first time and did Bernie's too so it must be possible.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674716 - that thread has the ways you can verify identity for anyone who needs it, I knew I'd done this before!!
Yes! That's it.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

guys thanks for replies...still not done it .. called h& r block ,, they want nearly $300 .. i really think it should be straight forward..
i have been cleaning 6 months, no outlays. abn,
hubby has group certificate..
my only query the centrelink and medicare.. plus do we put each others tax information on the etax from...?
hubby did it last year, but this year ..maybe harder
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rackcatt
guys thanks for replies...still not done it .. called h& r block ,, they want nearly $300 .. i really think it should be straight forward..
my only query the centrelink and medicare.. plus do we put each others tax information on the etax from...?
It is straightforward. There's a section where they ask for the basic details of the spouses info. You should also be able to get the Centrelink and Medicare loaded from their sites so you don't need to think about them.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:52 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

You can do Etax in year 1, you just can't prefill it with bank details and income details. This will happen in year 2 if you want. There are sections in it where it asks you for information and whether you want to download medicare details. As you can't prefill, this needs to be done manually.
Yes it will ask you if you are married and for your hubby's taxable income
Suggest you download and see if you get stuck then you can ask specific questions?
If your hubby did it last year, he should be able to prefill his details - this gives income that the tax office holds already completed into etax. Work with his first as it should be easier and then go from there.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Called accountant today, she said we don't need to put centre link or Medicare stuff in ..? So I'm well confused.com.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Called accountant today, she said we don't need to put centre link or Medicare stuff in ..? So I'm well confused.com.
If you've not had any specific claims on Centrelink or gone over a specific amount with Medicare there's nothing to include. ATO know what Centrelink have given you on your TFN. If you've had stacks of medical expenses, then you can add everything else - prescription, paracetemol wise.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you... Going to give it a go xxx