Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some guidance on tax return please

Some guidance on tax return please

Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Default Some guidance on tax return please

So I have an Abn number, for cleaning job being doing it for six months..
Hubby has a group certificate..want to do our tax online .but I don't know how much I need to pay ..
we jointly claim family assistance .......
so do we need to put each others income down on each other tax return ..?
Im not sure what tax it is I pay ..is it payg..hoping if I put in what I earned it will calculate it for me,, but not sure where to go .
Any help be greatful thanks
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some guidance on tax return please

Download the E-tax program or pay someone to do it.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Ratchet is an unknown quantity at this point

Find your local tax man and ask him/her. Its so much easier and next year you can claim the cost back on your tax return.

Itll only cost about $100.

H&R block seem ok
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:27 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
H&R block seem ok
You can't really generalise about H&R Block. Some of their people are great, others are lousy. You often don't know who was lousy though until you go to someone else the next year.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

.......Eh?

Just sometimes its nice to have a name to go by, rather than someone drip feeding information which has no use at all.

I dont get your critism. Its not contructive at all to the OP
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

.......Eh?

Just sometimes its nice to have a name to go by, rather than someone drip feeding information which has no use at all.

I dont get your critism. Its not contructive at all to the OP
.......Eh?

I could say the same about recommending H&R Block when the OP said they wanted to do their tax online.

I don't see what you don't get anyway. Some H&R Block tax accountants are thorough...others aren't.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

I dont understand how having a dig at my comment is of any use here?

Having had a simular situation on our first year in Aus about what to do for the best, led us to eventually going to see a taxman. And still 3 years later i do the same...its easy to do and ive not got time in my life to sit and stress if ive done my return correctly.....after all the tax you get back is the tax you deserve.

Theres nothing wrong with me suggesting that, its a suggestion after all. Not a must do. Also H&R block seem ok, is not a "you have to go and see them" recommendation.

My appologies to the original poster for this conversation taking on an unexpected turn. i hope your situation turns out for the best

Regards
Old Aug 1st 2012, 1:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

I dont understand how having a dig at my comment is of any use here?
There was no dig.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
There was no dig.

I didnt think so and agree with you about H&R block, first year i did my own, hadnt a clue, but gave it a bash ,second year i went to H&R was v.pleased, third year went to H&R and I swear i knew more than the accountant doing my tax, so this year i went back to doing my own.

You learn each year as you go along.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:48 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Hello everybody peeps!

Ratchet. It's OK, they're a tad cliquey on here, best not take it personal
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 4:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum View Post
Hello everybody peeps!

Stirrer! Show me the clique!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum View Post
Hello everybody peeps!

its true, i dont think there is one person on here i havent had a 'disagreement' with and if that makes me part of the clique, so be it
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, ask around friends and colleagues to get a recommendation. As has been said H&R Block, as well as other multis, can have excellent offices as well as crap ones and can end up costing you a fair amount. Unless you have a very straightforward 'normal' tax life, it's work getting expert help.

Rachet, no one was having a go or a dig at you. Simply pointing out that your comment about H&R Block is not correct across the board. If you've found a good one, hang on to them but sadly you can't assume the others are the same. The one near me is full of complete incompetents and I have no idea how or why they are still in business.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

I've downloaded the Etax every year. Once you understand it its really straight forward. This year it took 10 minutes.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You can't do Etax in your first year however.. Which I discovered.

Paid accountant 80 dollars and it took ten mins with a nice rebate too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.