Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some great (?!) books and info - or perhaps not - on Oz!

Some great (?!) books and info - or perhaps not - on Oz!

Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about
Default Some great (?!) books and info - or perhaps not - on Oz!

Over the last year or so I've spent some time reading through some books or using them as references. Some of them are here ..

Living and Working in Australia: A Survival Handbook (Living and Working Guides):

In a Sunburned Country:

Culture Shock Australia Edition (Culture Shock! Australia):

(Hope the links work!)

.. but I would love to have other tips on "stuff" about Oz that can help us keep the spirits up in the last few months or so...

Anyone have some other pointers??

/Jørgen
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:24 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some great (?!) books and info - or perhaps not - on Oz!

Page 5 of Bill Brysons Down Under :scared:
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

PAGE 5 -

"Down Under " - Bill Bryson :-

To David, Felicity, Catherine and sam

Are you always scared off by dedications, HUP??? (!!!)
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:36 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
PAGE 5 -

Are you always scared off by dedications, HUP??? (!!!)
Yeah it was that song by Roy Castle that did it for me.

Is it page 9 then, cant find my copy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Yeah it was that song by Roy Castle that did it for me.

Is it page 9 then, cant find my copy
Now then...DEDICATION...thats what ya need....

can feel a forum mantra comin' on....

( BTW pg 9 is a map.... and I did read the whole of the book... and throughly enjoyed it...am such a "Chav"!!!

And am currently trying to plough me way through " A Short History Of Nearly Everything "...

Shame old Bill didn't take into account me UNFEASIBLY LARGE WRISTS...could have altered time altogether......
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:49 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Now then...DEDICATION...thats what ya need....

can feel a forum mantra comin' on....

( BTW pg 9 is a map.... and I did read the whole of the book... and throughly enjoyed it...am such a "Chav"!!!

And am currently trying to plough me way through " A Short History Of Nearly Everything "...

Shame old Bill didn't take into account me UNFEASIBLY LARGE WRISTS...could have altered time altogether......
Which page does he list all the things that can kill you.

I fear none of them of course because of my Disco Nips
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:56 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HUP

Yeah we saw your Nips on that Pic with Badge.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:03 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally Posted by Bordy
Yeah we saw your Nips on that Pic with Badge.
What pic with Badge?
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HUP

Although am a fan of Bill..can't quote page for page....

Do you think Ii'm really that much of a nerd????

But I do like this bit.....

" The Taipan is the one to watch out for. It is the most poisonous snake on earth, with a lunge so swift and a venom so potent that your last mortal utterance is likely to be: ' I say, is that a sn-'

Pnar, Pnar.... in Taipan country and none of the suckers have dared to get me yet....too frightened of me wrists ya see.....

Last edited by steandleigh; Jan 20th 2005 at 12:05 pm. Reason: SP...motral=mortal!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:08 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Although am a fan of Bill..can't quote page for page....

Do you think Ii'm really that much of a nerd????
Step away from the quote HUP, theres too much to say there

When you said the dedication and map I thought you had a copy there.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HUP
Step away from the quote HUP, theres too much to say there

When you said the dedication and map I thought you had a copy there.

Anyway...am off now..."for the swim that requires no towel...."

Don't think anyone'll remember my name either...!!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:58 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Fishing in Styx, by Ruth Park; A Town Called Alice, by Neville Shute; Picnic at Hanging Rock (It's a book first before Peter Weir made the film)....

Fiction is nice... also look at travelogue books..
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:59 pm
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point

I was reading "Down Under - In A Sunburned Country", too, and was enjoying it to bits... until I lost it while I was getting on the underground train, some time ago, that is

I was reading it in Italian, but I'm planning to buy it again in English as I was dying laughing! And this time, I won't lose my grip on it... they'll have to tear it from my cold dead hands!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I found the "200 kms Around ............" by Gregorys to be good.

Split into sections around the city lots of info on places to visit, getting around, leisure activities, suggetsed tour routes of the surrounding areas etc. etc.

We have 200k's around Melbourne which we found v.useful when visiting my cus there, and we now also have 200 k's around Brisbane cos we might be going there to live.
Can't find one for our other "potential places to live" though - Perth and Cairns.

Cadman
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I found Living and working in Australia by David Hampshire to be rather good.
It has loads of information relevant to relocating. I for one shall be taking it to Oz with me when I go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.