Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

some good news for a change

Wikiposts

some good news for a change

Old Jun 13th 2004, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default some good news for a change

Well, if i told you that I have been as miserable as sin for the past few weeks, would you believe ' Oh Miss Positive ', but I have, and questioned as to why the hell we risked everything to come out here.

As most of you know, we came out here on a 457 IE visa, which was the only way we could come, due to our ages and our work.

We bought the business with all our savings, more or less, and have both been working some very long hours to get the business going and on its feet.
Things were starting to go well, and we were just seeing the wood from the trees, when Winter here struck, and my, doesn't it strike on that sea front.
The takings took a battering by half, the staff hours had to be cut (meaning more hours yet again for moi and moi hubby).

Then 2 weeks ago, big write up in the paper to say that the Council were putting the Alfresco dining up in Rockingham by 1000%, yes you read it right, one thousand percent.
Big meetings with all the other cafes and restaurants in the area.

We had also been looking at some land to try and buy to have a house built, as at the moment we are staying in a Aunts house, but they come out in November, so bit of a panic as to what we are going to do.

We put in for a loan, but everywhere we went, the problem was this Visa we were in. The length of time we have been in the country, the amount we had for a deposit (20%) and not having any books or accounts yet as we haven't been going long enough.
We just kept hitting our heads against a brick wall, which really knocked my positive attitiude to a very low ebb, with everything put in together. You know what its like, one thing after another and then you are on a roll, and before you know it, the words in my head were 'oh my god, what have we done' and 'everything we try to do, is so hard', and ' should we go back to the UK', but 'we would need to sell the business and who is going to buy it at this time of year and we wouldn't have enough right now anyway'.
Well you get the picture.
I am sure a few of you have had these feelings.

Didn't post too much about it as I didn't want to drag everyone else down to the level I was feeling.

Last week, the takings went back up.

The Council have cancelled the Alfresco charges for 12-18 months.

And.......... This morning, the Commonwealth Bank have said YES!!!!!

Our Mortgage Broker said that even she was surprised with the Commonwealth Bank (though all our banking is through them) without any books, but felt that because we had given them so much paperwork and evidence, they were okay with it.

I just want to tell you here, what we sent to the Bank, incase it is of any help to others here.

1. We told them our accomadation and rent.

2. Completion letter from our Solicitor regarding the sale of our house in the UK

3. Solicitors statement showing redemption of mortgage on the property.

4. Bank statement for all our Bank accounts with the Commonwealth, Business and own.

5. Tax certificates for the UK and amount in pounds to dollars showing how much we had paid.

6. Tax assessments up to leaving.

7. Financial statements on the place we were buying. (Business)

8. Original agreement purshase on the business.

9. Profit and loss statement on the Business.

10. GST report for the quarter and turnover.

11. Visa Grant

We sent copies of Bank statements, wage slips in the UK, Bank statements from the UK, Birth certificates, Passport details.

And of course, what we were proposing to buy with the loan.

By the time that list above had been broken down to his and hers and Bank accounts etc, there were a total of 16 not 11.

We have also been accepted as far as the F.I.R.B

Just want to show you, that even if we get the collie wobbles every now and again, just because things don't seem to be going right for a while, it can all change so long as you don't give up on it.

We had even made another appointment with another Mortgasge Broker for today, but it was a great feeling being able to cancel the appointment.

Well, that it from me, the 'Happy Bunny' hop, skip and a jump.

Whisky
Old Jun 13th 2004, 4:06 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Excellant news Whisky, heres hoping you go from strength to strength from now on.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 4:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Congratulations

I'm really glad to hear that these things have turned out OK.

And for those others considering going self employed in any way, these things will happen at times, and you have to persevere, and sometimes keep all your fingers crossed

Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Whisky
I would never have cottoned on that you were going through such a hectic time, well done for hanging in there and working it out.
With such a huge move, there's bound to be many of us who go through similar "stuff", which no amount of planning will prepare us for.
Hope it continues to buck up,
Larissa
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:02 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Excellent news. I must admit I've been quite preoccupied lately so haven't noticed who is and isn't on here, but I'm so glad to hear your reasons for not being on here are now no more!! Good luck with your future.
Going to log off and go to work now but what a nice last post to read
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by mlbonner
Excellent news. I must admit I've been quite preoccupied lately so haven't noticed who is and isn't on here, but I'm so glad to hear your reasons for not being on here are now no more!! Good luck with your future.
Going to log off and go to work now but what a nice last post to read
Hi Whisky
Soprry to hear that things have been a bit rough for you But I am really glad that you have turned the corner and things have started to go well for you.

Good Luck.

debs
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased things are looking up Whisky; excellent news mate!
Keep up the bunny skipping and jumping
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic news Whiskey, a long time in coming but worth it in the end. Sorry to hear you have been feelin low hopefully things will get better for you both.

footie x
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:45 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good, I'm glad things are going better!

Just wondering, has the weather gotten better again, and that's why the takings are up?

Well, hope it stays that way!

Good luck with the land and house!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some good news for a change

Originally posted by whisky
Well, if i told you that I have been as miserable as sin for the past few weeks, would you believe ' Oh Miss Positive ', but I have, and questioned as to why the hell we risked everything to come out here.

As most of you know, we came out here on a 457 IE visa, which was the only way we could come, due to our ages and our work.

We bought the business with all our savings, more or less, and have both been working some very long hours to get the business going and on its feet.
Things were starting to go well, and we were just seeing the wood from the trees, when Winter here struck, and my, doesn't it strike on that sea front.
The takings took a battering by half, the staff hours had to be cut (meaning more hours yet again for moi and moi hubby).

Then 2 weeks ago, big write up in the paper to say that the Council were putting the Alfresco dining up in Rockingham by 1000%, yes you read it right, one thousand percent.
Big meetings with all the other cafes and restaurants in the area.

We had also been looking at some land to try and buy to have a house built, as at the moment we are staying in a Aunts house, but they come out in November, so bit of a panic as to what we are going to do.

We put in for a loan, but everywhere we went, the problem was this Visa we were in. The length of time we have been in the country, the amount we had for a deposit (20%) and not having any books or accounts yet as we haven't been going long enough.
We just kept hitting our heads against a brick wall, which really knocked my positive attitiude to a very low ebb, with everything put in together. You know what its like, one thing after another and then you are on a roll, and before you know it, the words in my head were 'oh my god, what have we done' and 'everything we try to do, is so hard', and ' should we go back to the UK', but 'we would need to sell the business and who is going to buy it at this time of year and we wouldn't have enough right now anyway'.
Well you get the picture.
I am sure a few of you have had these feelings.

Didn't post too much about it as I didn't want to drag everyone else down to the level I was feeling.

Last week, the takings went back up.

The Council have cancelled the Alfresco charges for 12-18 months.

And.......... This morning, the Commonwealth Bank have said YES!!!!!

Our Mortgage Broker said that even she was surprised with the Commonwealth Bank (though all our banking is through them) without any books, but felt that because we had given them so much paperwork and evidence, they were okay with it.

I just want to tell you here, what we sent to the Bank, incase it is of any help to others here.

1. We told them our accomadation and rent.

2. Completion letter from our Solicitor regarding the sale of our house in the UK

3. Solicitors statement showing redemption of mortgage on the property.

4. Bank statement for all our Bank accounts with the Commonwealth, Business and own.

5. Tax certificates for the UK and amount in pounds to dollars showing how much we had paid.

6. Tax assessments up to leaving.

7. Financial statements on the place we were buying. (Business)

8. Original agreement purshase on the business.

9. Profit and loss statement on the Business.

10. GST report for the quarter and turnover.

11. Visa Grant

We sent copies of Bank statements, wage slips in the UK, Bank statements from the UK, Birth certificates, Passport details.

And of course, what we were proposing to buy with the loan.

By the time that list above had been broken down to his and hers and Bank accounts etc, there were a total of 16 not 11.

We have also been accepted as far as the F.I.R.B

Just want to show you, that even if we get the collie wobbles every now and again, just because things don't seem to be going right for a while, it can all change so long as you don't give up on it.

We had even made another appointment with another Mortgasge Broker for today, but it was a great feeling being able to cancel the appointment.

Well, that it from me, the 'Happy Bunny' hop, skip and a jump.

Whisky
Whisky

Great news. I am sure everyone goes through that "what the hell am I doing" period. Hope the bad days stay behind you and you move on to better and better times.

A sort of friend, very kind but major pain in backside is planning to come and visit in Aug 2006. We are going Nov/Dec 05. Hopefully we are going through bad patch then. We can have her visit and realise that we are much better off! LOL

Keep cheerful and hope that house happens fast.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:21 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Winter will soon be over Whisky and a bit more good news They are plugging Australia like mad on the TV in the UK for Olidays so more alfresco diners on there way!
Great post Well done for knuckling down to it.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:57 pm
Soon to be Visas holders

pete n lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Whisky

Yet again you have proved that you truely are an inspiration to all of us planning this big move, you have certainly taken some knocks but your perseverance and hard work has paid off. Wishing you all the very best with your business and your land/house purchase.

Keep smiling and give yourselves a big pat on the back!

Love Lisa x
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

So pleased to hear things back on track and we will be venturing to you in winter as we arrive end of this month and want to do some travelling around for a few weeks before we buckle down to jobs etc.........see you soon

Swifts
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:06 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Glad things are going your way again. I hope it keeps up.

Things dont just land in your lap, and you've shown so far that with hard work and the right attitude you can make things work.

All the best!

Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased to hear that you can see light and the end of the tunnel.
How very unselfish of you not to come onto the site and get it off your chest when the chips were down.But hey! thats what we are all here for to offer one another support if we can.Good Luck for the future we will come and visit your restuarant when we come over next year to validate hopefully.
What has the weather been like for an Australian winter in Mandurah? Have you had many storms on the coast.?
Take Care Dreamaway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.