Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Wikiposts

Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Right. Today we had a lovely afternoon traipsing round Harvey Norman and the Good Guys and Fantastic Furniture and various other shops so we could do our sums. We don't have too much furniture in blightly and we wanted to find out whether it was worth bothering with containers and things. So, armed with my calculator, I totted up the vast majority of electrical items that we'd need. Most of the items I chose were in the middle of the range - some towards the higher end, none at the top end, nothing on sale, only list prices used.

Bearing in mind that I'm doing this from memory, I costed in The Good Guys:
Combi Microwave Oven (v.good Sharp one)
Kettle
Toaster
George Foreman Grill
Blender (hand held)
Blender (table top)
Clock Radio
Iron (wilfa steam job)
Coffee Machine (espresso job)
Triple Dect Phone (Panasonic)
DVD Player
TV (21" tube)
TV (80cm LG LCD)
5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
Midi Hi-Fi
Dishwasher (large place setting)
Tumble Dryer
Front-loading washing machine
Vacuum Cleaner (Dyson)
Large US Style Fridge Freezer (LG)
All of which came to a little over $7000 (or a smidge under 3 grand in your English money). I then repeated the exercise over at Harvey Normal, choosing as similar items as possible and it came to just under $8000 (or 3400 of your English pounds).

Meanwhile, the missus wandered around the furniture stores and costed everything else up (most solid wood and very nice stuff). Bear in mind that this was all very nice stuff in the main Harvey Norman store, not the cheapo Homestarter one:
A bookcase
Double Bed
2 bedside tables
dressing table
bedroom cupboard
mattress
dining room table and chairs (six)
coffee table
dresser
living room sideboard table type thing
TV unit
garden furniture suite
sofa and armchair (leather)
All of which came to $13764 (or 5847 of your English pounds).

So - gives you a rough idea of the costs involved. The missus points out there's no way on earth you'd get the lovely leather sofa suite she saw today for that money unless it was in some super-knocked-down-sale jobbie. Also bear in mind - if you were buying that amount of stuff - that you'd have some very hefty negotiating oomph and that none of these prices reflect items on 'sale' or indeed any reduction you'd get for paying cash.

Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Originally Posted by Hutch
All of which came to a little over $7000 (or a smidge under 3 grand in your English money).
<..>
Also bear in mind - if you were buying that amount of stuff - that you'd have some very hefty negotiating oomph and that none of these prices reflect items on 'sale' or indeed any reduction you'd get for paying cash.

Absolutely. $7k tag price in the Good Guys, would be at least down to $6k, no fuss. And that's without haggling, just saying "and the cash price is ?" and after that, you begin the real negotiation

Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:58 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Right. Today we had a lovely afternoon traipsing round Harvey Norman and the Good Guys and Fantastic Furniture and various other shops so we could do our sums. We don't have too much furniture in blightly and we wanted to find out whether it was worth bothering with containers and things. So, armed with my calculator, I totted up the vast majority of electrical items that we'd need. Most of the items I chose were in the middle of the range - some towards the higher end, none at the top end, nothing on sale, only list prices used.

Kettle
Toaster
George Foreman Grill
Blender (hand held)
Blender (table top)
Clock Radio
Iron (wilfa steam job)
DVD Player
TV (21" tube)
TV (80cm LG LCD)
Midi Hi-Fi
Tumble Dryer
Vacuum Cleaner (Dyson)
All of which came to a little over $7000 (or a smidge under 3 grand in your English money). I then repeated the exercise over at Harvey Normal, choosing as similar items as possible and it came to just under $8000 (or 3400 of your English pounds).

Meanwhile, the missus wandered around the furniture stores and costed everything else up (most solid wood and very nice stuff). Bear in mind that this was all very nice stuff in the main Harvey Norman store, not the cheapo Homestarter one:
A bookcase
Double Bed
2 bedside tables
dressing table
bedroom cupboard
mattress
coffee table
dresser
TV unit
garden furniture suite

So - gives you a rough idea of the costs involved. The missus points out there's no way on earth you'd get the lovely leather sofa suite she saw today for that money unless it was in some super-knocked-down-sale jobbie. Also bear in mind - if you were buying that amount of stuff - that you'd have some very hefty negotiating oomph and that none of these prices reflect items on 'sale' or indeed any reduction you'd get for paying cash.

One of the most useful posts i've seen on this forum for yonks - cheers guv !
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:59 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for this post its just what we need at the moment

we are at the stage of should we/shouldnt we take our stuff with us

we dont have much furniture and we dont know what to do

the way i see it we will need stuff as soon as we get there so will have to buy it anyway
(things like dishes, cutlery,matresses)

thanks for the guide

jan xx
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:41 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Kettle
Toaster
George Foreman Grill
Blender (hand held)
Blender (table top)
Clock Radio
Iron (wilfa steam job)
DVD Player
TV (21" tube)
TV (80cm LG LCD)
Midi Hi-Fi
Tumble Dryer
Vacuum Cleaner (Dyson)

A bookcase
Double Bed
2 bedside tables
dressing table
bedroom cupboard
mattress
coffee table
dresser
TV unit
garden furniture suite

Hmmm I had planned to bring everything with me and now I'm not so sure as these figures are far less than I expected.

Have sent you karma for this information.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Kettle
Toaster
George Foreman Grill
Blender (hand held)
Blender (table top)
Clock Radio
Iron (wilfa steam job)
DVD Player
TV (21" tube)
TV (80cm LG LCD)
Midi Hi-Fi
Tumble Dryer
Vacuum Cleaner (Dyson)

A bookcase
Double Bed
2 bedside tables
dressing table
bedroom cupboard
mattress
coffee table
dresser
TV unit
garden furniture suite

Yehp the goodguys, if you are buying "everything" there is probably the best option because of the range, you maybe able to do better on things like tv's and phones and dvd players at JBhifi, however if you were to tell the good guys you were considering going to JB, they would really drop the price with that shopping list.

Harvey norman are very expensive, and you can buy most things that they sell 20 pct cheaper elsewhere, trouble is it is well presented and temptingly all under one roof there, They do have a 24 month interest free, 20pct down, which could be useful.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Kettle
Toaster
George Foreman Grill
Blender (hand held)
Blender (table top)
Clock Radio
Iron (wilfa steam job)
DVD Player
TV (21" tube)
TV (80cm LG LCD)
Midi Hi-Fi
Tumble Dryer
Vacuum Cleaner (Dyson)

A bookcase
Double Bed
2 bedside tables
dressing table
bedroom cupboard
mattress
coffee table
dresser
TV unit
garden furniture suite

Great list.

You could reduce the cost further by...

(a) buying only one TV (I've yet to meet anyone who actually needs two)

(b) choosing a regular tube TV instead of LCD

(c) skipping the dishwasher (unnecessary)

(d) choosing a cheaper vaccuum cleaner (LG instead of Dyson; just as good, but half the price)

(d) choosing cloth over leather for your lounge suite,

(e) skipping the garden furniture or buying a resin set instead

(f) skipping the bedside tables (not everyone has room for them)

(g) buying a washer/dryer instead of a washer and a dryer
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:35 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

great thread!
Last year, whilst doing something similar but online, we calculated we'd need at least £7k to replace what we had here now, and have budgeted/saved accordingly.

sue
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:57 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Hutch, thats great info! We're not shipping big furniture items out and had set money aside for buying new stuff.....think I could half my original budget based on your valuable information ! thanks again !

Jackie
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:24 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Its all very well doing a costing for your 'white' goods and larger items.........its the smaller bits and pieces that tend too add up!!
bedding
towells
cutlery
lamps
clocks
pictures
Take a look round your home now..........all those little nik-naks make it home.......and they cost a small fortune to replace!!
Bring as much over as you can.......it will save you a packet
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

I was thinking of buying a new vac before I left rather than taking my old Dyson. I want to replace it with the new Dyson DC15 Animal which costs £259.99 in the UK. Does anybody know how much a new one is in Oz so I can see if it is worth buying it before I go or waiting.

Do you have any problems with immigration when shipping wooden dining tables? I heard they will fumigate any items with wood in them which can be costly especially as most things will have some wood sofas and beds etc.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybie
I was thinking of buying a new vac before I left rather than taking my old Dyson. I want to replace it with the new Dyson DC15 Animal which costs £259.99 in the UK. Does anybody know how much a new one is in Oz so I can see if it is worth buying it before I go or waiting.

Do you have any problems with immigration when shipping wooden dining tables? I heard they will fumigate any items with wood in them which can be costly especially as most things will have some wood sofas and beds etc.
Everyday wooden stuff is fine, it has to be declared, but won't need fumigating.

Comments on Vash's post - if you had kids,, you;d probably want two TVs
A bedside table is one of those dead handy things - even converted The Bloke to using one! - but thet are quite cheap anyway.

And overall, I agree with Sandra (S J Odlfield) - its all the small stuff that adds up alarmingly. As you've guessed, I'm a believer in the " ship stuff if you can" idea Go round you house and add up the cost of replacing EVERYTHING, not just furniture :scared:
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Some costs for you - equipping a house...

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Everyday wooden stuff is fine, it has to be declared, but won't need fumigating.

Comments on Vash's post - if you had kids,, you;d probably want two TVs
LOL! When I have kids, the little numpties will be sharing a TV with me, or not watching it at all. There is no way I'll be buying an extra one just for them!

A bedside table is one of those dead handy things - even converted The Bloke to using one! - but they are quite cheap anyway.
True; we would have two ourselves, but we only have room for one - and that's for the missus.

And overall, I agree with Sandra (S J Odlfield) - its all the small stuff that adds up alarmingly. As you've guessed, I'm a believer in the " ship stuff if you can" idea Go round you house and add up the cost of replacing EVERYTHING, not just furniture :scared:
Good point!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:40 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Kettle
Toaster
George Foreman Grill
Blender (hand held)
Blender (table top)
Clock Radio
Iron (wilfa steam job)
DVD Player
TV (21" tube)
TV (80cm LG LCD)
Midi Hi-Fi
Tumble Dryer
Vacuum Cleaner (Dyson)

A bookcase
Double Bed
2 bedside tables
dressing table
bedroom cupboard
mattress
coffee table
dresser
TV unit
garden furniture suite

A very useful and topical post for us at the moment. I think you deserve some karma for this one.

Also, for everyone participating in my self-fulfilling useless poll on useful posts don't forget to take Hutch's post into account when making a decision...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.